Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D7000 - D7100: worth it?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Consulo
Consulo  10763 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 11:45 AM

Right, I should preface this post by saying that hopping from one generation of camera to the next is not something that I usually do. I waited for the D7000 before I jumped from the D70 as I felt that the technology had advanced sufficiently enough to justify the upgrade.

However.

I woke up this morning to the news of the unveiling of the D7100. Now, there aren't a huge range of technological leaps that take it light years ahead of the camera it replaces, but there are some things there that have my interest, such as the weather sealed body, better AF, EXPEED 3, the omission of the anti-aliasing filter, variable frame rates on the movie mode (which is something I'd utilise, though i appreciate it's a redundant feature for many). The market is currently such that if I were to sell off my D7000 body atm I'd re-coup a greater proportion of the cost of the new body, so all of this is definitely making me mull over the upgrade possibility quite seriously.

Obviously the choice is ultimately my own to make, but I'd be keen to read the thoughts of others in regards to whether or not you think the upgrade is worth making?

Cheers,
Michael.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Feb 2013 - 11:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Consulo
21 Feb 2013 - 12:16 PM

And here's some official sample images:

Click me.

Nick_Hilton
21 Feb 2013 - 12:27 PM

I think the piviotal question is do you think an increase from 15 to 24 mega pixels will benefit your type of photography.
The rest of the upgrades I would call minor but nice to have bearing in mind it might cost you another 300 - 400 pounds after you have sold your D7000.

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7537 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
21 Feb 2013 - 2:19 PM

Surely the jump in MP size and lack of AA filter is seriously going to show up any weaknesses in lenses?

Consulo
21 Feb 2013 - 2:33 PM

Thanks for the input so far, guys.

I generally tend to shot work that involves detail to a large degree. I don't shoot sport or anything that (usually) involves the need for a high fps rate, so that's not a selling point for me.

Lens-wise, I shoot with a Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 and a Nikon 35mm f/1.8. Both are excellent lenses optically, so I'm assuming that such lenses would benefit from the lack of AA filter?

Last Modified By Consulo at 21 Feb 2013 - 2:43 PM
thewilliam
21 Feb 2013 - 4:25 PM

You're supposed to run out and buy the latest model as soon as it appears and change your camera at least anually! WinkWinkWinkWinkMore sensible folk keep the camera that they've got to know thoroughly and just concentrate on making fine images.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 21 Feb 2013 - 4:25 PM
Consulo
21 Feb 2013 - 4:30 PM

You are right of course, William, hopping onto the next model for the sake of it is stupid.

I guess I'm trying to work out of it would be worth it in terms of image quality. I'm fully aware that it's the glass in front of the camera that will ultimately give the highest quality possible for a given camera model, but I am intrigued by the features of the D7100 that could help in terms of IQ.

An FX camera would be great to own as I know that IQ there would be the best of the bunch, but given my current financial situation FX remains a pipe-dream for the forseeable future.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62458 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
21 Feb 2013 - 5:52 PM

The D7100 launch price is the same as, or slightly lower than the D7000 launch price. In this sense you get more for your money.
The D7000 has usefully more resolution and more tonal gradation when making large prints than my 12MP bodies, now sold, had.
The D7100 should provide a similar improvement though obviously not D800 levels. At lower ISO's it could out resolve the D600.
The improved build quality and better autofocus are useful to ground breaking depending on what you want from a camera.
In about nine months a D7000 could still fetch 400 in a private sale and a new D7100 could be down to 800 - with a two year warranty.
As a D7000 and D800 owner biding my time and trading up the DX body at about 400 seems reasonable for my needs.
Trading up at the end of March might get a rather optimistic 475 in a private sale for the D7000, leaving 620 to pay to get a "just out" D7100.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 1:26 PM

The crop factor change from 1.5 to 1.3 is interesting as it shortens working distances, and I assume increases shallow DOF opportunities?

Or is this more to do with video, why do you think they would change crop factor?

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 1:39 PM

Iassume it is just in-camera crop work so why not just crop afterwards in your computer at home? Their full frame cameras offer a DX crop mode and I have never understood that either.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3789 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 - 2:13 PM

Quote: Iassume it is just in-camera crop work so why not just crop afterwards in your computer at home? Their full frame cameras offer a DX crop mode and I have never understood that either.

It offers higher frame rate in machinegun mode, when required, for one thing.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 2:29 PM

Ah I see. I am a sad git that never gets above 3fps, My camera can do over 6. But its like a lot of those camera things, it means everything to some people and nothing to another. I hope its a good camera.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3789 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 - 2:49 PM

Quote: But its like a lot of those camera things, it means everything to some people and nothing to another.

Amen to that.

Consulo
22 Feb 2013 - 3:26 PM

In the interests of science, some elaboration.

I've put my D7000 up for sale with a 50 mm lens that I own on ebay. I've set the reserve in such a way that if the camera sells, I've re-couped the cost of a D7000 as it currently stands. This way, if the hands-on reviews suddenly ring alarm bells (such as the lack of AA filter being a bad thing), I can just go and get myself a D7000 body again.

goexplorephotography

Quote: I've put my D7000 up for sale with a 50 mm lens that I own on ebay. I've set the reserve in such a way that if the camera sells, I've re-couped the cost of a D7000 as it currently stands.

How many people are going to buy a secondhand camera on ebay for the same price they can get a new one. Dont forget you will have fees to pay to ebay and fees to paypal if it does sell.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.