Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

D7000 - D7100: worth it?

thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
6 Mar 2013 6:08PM

Quote:So I decided not to bother with the upgrade. My D7000 serves my needs wonderfully and whilst I'm sure the D7100 is an admirable piece of kit, upgrading for the sake of it is stupid.

Spent some of the money that would have otherwise gone towards the newer camera on a new 50 mm lens for my Mamiya, which is a great lens.

This is photographic maturity!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PaulLiley e2
5 2 13 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2013 7:40AM

Quote:So I decided not to bother with the upgrade. My D7000 serves my needs wonderfully and whilst I'm sure the D7100 is an admirable piece of kit, upgrading for the sake of it is stupid.

Spent some of the money that would have otherwise gone towards the newer camera on a new 50 mm lens for my Mamiya, which is a great lens.

I agree. I have a D90 and a D7000 and have one set up for landscapes etc and the D7000 for wildlife photography. I photograph each in equal measure. I have noticed the spec of the D7100 and feel that I don't want to jump on the bandwagon everytime a new model comes out. That's what the manufactures love people to do. I get great results from both cameras and as long as I work within the limitations of both and my lenses. The only upgrade I think would be sensible is to a FX format like the D800 but then I would have to upgrade all my lenses so that's an expensive option. I'll work with what I've got and strive to get the best results. There is a lot of satisfaction in doing that. I am after a really good pair of binocs anyway.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
10 Apr 2013 9:54AM

As vulgar professionals, we look at each new "professional grade" model and ask ourselves whether there would be a business advantage in owning it. One good friend is now selling a lot more big wedding albums, up to a ridiculous 20 x 16 inches, where a double page spread is 32 or 40 inches across and certain to be viewed from close quarters. His investment in four D800 bodies is certainly justified. She-who-must-be-obeyed still uses her D2Xs bodies because she works in a studio at base ISO.
SEMANON e2
2 95 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2013 11:07PM
I think you will only notice that you need more storage space - simple as that. I'm sure it's a brilliant camera but like most people I chat about it with - the D7000 seems about 90-95percent of the D7100. Will you even use it in 24mp given the file size in editing etc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.