Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

D7000 - still worth buying despite imminent replacement?

Max_WW 8 124
10 Jul 2012 9:29PM
Hi there, I'm without a DSLR at the moment (though I do have a Canon Powershot G11) and am looking to buy the D7000. In particular I have a family wedding, holiday etc and want to start taking pictures beyond what the G11 allows, great though it is.

Here's the nub of it; I think that the D7000 probably does what I want (if not more), and I was essentially happy with pics with my old Canon 20D which was far less advanced. Any replacement this Autumn of the D300s or D7000 will probably bring greater resolution (~24 MP), faster processing (EXPEED 3), greater video capability (which I'm not terribly fussed about), and a higher price. I'm sure there are other potential enhancements in the pipeline, and I know there are some significant differences between these 2 bodies (construction, AF system, frame rate...)

A successor to either the D300s or D7000 will I suspect be 1200 upwards for the body, whereas the D7000 at present is 724 on Amazon.

I don't have to buy now, but I'm impatient. Common sense says wait for something new to come out. What would you do?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
10 Jul 2012 9:36PM
I wouldn't have thought the D7000 is due for replacement just yet, but the D300s is a bit long in the tooth. If either was to be replaced I would have thought it would be the D300s. They are both 'current' bodies, so the D7000 will still be around if they replace the D300s. There may be a slight reduction in price (and I would think the D300s would come down substantially if you can still get hold of one).

If you need a camera now, either of the cameras mentioned are very capable. If you want the latest and greatest then wait for something new (but how long will you wait?).
Max_WW 8 124
10 Jul 2012 9:47PM
"I wouldn't have thought the D7000 is due for replacement just yet..."

Nothing known for certain, but I've been following Nikon Rumors and there are several posts of interest, including here and here .
StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
10 Jul 2012 10:59PM
Interesting thoughts, but only if Nikon discontinue the premium DX line in favour of the D7000 (the D7000 falls short of the D300s specs in a number of areas).
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
10 Jul 2012 11:02PM
Nikon Rumours do tend to be a load of old spherical objects. None of them predicted the D4 or the D800 arriving before a D300s replacement. None of them predicted the D800 having 36Mp and none of them predicted the D3200 with 24Mp.

In the main they are promulgated by mentally deranged weirdos with nothing better to occupy their imaginations.

buy a camera that meets your needs today. It will still meet the same needs in 3, 5, 10 years time. If something more modern comes out then you can decide whether or not to "upgrade" but, either way, your current camera will not do any less than it did before.
robs 11 660 2 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2012 11:41PM
Given I run one as a backup to the D800 and am impressed by it... I would say yes it is worth going for.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.