Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

D7000 indoors

widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
8 Sep 2012 8:24AM
Hi iam going along to a dance exhibition tomorrow night and i do have a plan of action , but i was wondering what are peoples experience with high iso with this camera. It is good in low light i know that but i i just need some feedback as to how high i can go without getting too much noise. Thanks

Rod

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saxon_image 10 285 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2012 9:49AM
Much depends on how big you want the prints. For typical web use its almost irrelevant. I've taken shots at 3200 inside darkened NT properties and in a darkened barn used for owl flying with my D7000 (RAW processed in Capture One Express) and noise is not noticeable on smaller prints at all. 6400 is usable but quality tails off at higher ISO's, especially H1 etc.
8 Sep 2012 10:11AM

Quote:Hi iam going along to a dance exhibition

A lot depends on you!
Are you putting the cart before the horse?
At a dance exhibition the dancers are likely to be brightly spot lit much of the time - for some of the routines 800 ISO may be fast enough.
In a 16x12 inch print even at 1600 ISO there is negligible diference between a D700 and D7000 as regards noise.
If there are some deliberately underlit sequences - turn up the ISO and see what you get Wink
Have you thought about whether you are allowed to shoot with a DSLR and long lens at the function?
If there is reasonable freedom can you use a tripod?
If you can use a tripod often there are parts of a dance routine where the dancers hold a static pose - and 100-200 ISO might be OK - perhaps picking up some movement in a swirling dress but with a static face.
The world does not start and end with reduced dynamic range and golf ball noise at 100,000 ISO equivalent Smile
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Sep 2012 11:16AM

Quote:
The world does not start and end with reduced dynamic range and golf ball noise at 100,000 ISO equivalent Smile

Very true.

When I got a D3s a couple of years back, I was full of anticipation about all those superb photographs I would be able to take at ISO 104,000.

In the 18 months I used that camera, I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I used any ISO over 6400. And at that setting, noise was simply not an issue.

So, when I swapped the D3s for a D800 back in March, it simply did not bother me that I was "losing" the extreme high-ISO facility.

I don't have a D7000 but I would be very surpised if it, too, did not give perfectly acceptable images at up to ISO 6400.
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
8 Sep 2012 1:43PM
Thats great thats what i was hoping guysSmile I dont know what the light conditiond will be was just wanting to know what usable iso limit may be. I only have a 50mm prime so thats what iam using ! I think that should be fine (hopefully) and iam planning to shoot mostly in B/W so slight grain may be less of a problem. Wasn't planning on taking the tripod but i will just in case.
Thanks again for all your advice its much appreciated Sad

Rod
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Sep 2012 4:37PM

Quote: i am planning to shoot mostly in B/W so slight grain may be less of a problem.

Rod

Just another wee observation, Rod. Don't "shoot in B&W". Shoot in Raw and do any B&W conversion later in software. That way you, rather than the camera, controls the conversion and you can deal with grain, sharpness and any necessary noise reduction at the same time. (Plus, you still have the colour option open to you if you decide to use it at a later date.)

widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
8 Sep 2012 5:01PM
Thanks but i have never shot in raw because i dont have any software as yet just the basic nikon nex software Sad
oldblokeh 3 922 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2012 5:44PM
If you took the time to look at your ViewNX 2 software, you would see that it gives you the option to convert to monochrome, while also giving you the other advantages of shooting in RAW.
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
8 Sep 2012 6:49PM
cheers will check it outSmile
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
8 Sep 2012 7:10PM
sorry to be a pain but i cant find the convert to monochrome optionSad
8 Sep 2012 7:54PM
In the adjustments section, find the part labelled "Picture control". The drop-down in there includes "[NL] Monochrome". Additionally, by clicking "Launch Utility" you have the option of creating your own settings including such things as Sepia and coloured filters.
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
8 Sep 2012 8:21PM
got it thats great thanks for all your help

Rod
8 Sep 2012 8:55PM
No problem.
8 Sep 2012 9:16PM

Quote:If you took the time to look at your ViewNX 2 software, you would see that it gives you the option to convert to monochrome, while also giving you the other advantages of shooting in RAW.

Adding to this you can sharpen, adjust Dlighting, alter exposure, straighten, crop and even use levels and curves.
My advice is download it, learn how to use it, and normally shoot RAW.
For free software it is extremely capable.
I am not suggesting it is as good of some pay to obtain software - but for some-one with no software as yet it is an ideal free way to get some good post processing experience.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
8 Sep 2012 10:30PM
Slightly at a tangent but hopefully of use to you;
I've got a D3100, so it could be reasonable to expect the results that I get to be in some way inferior to those that you'd expect to get using something a bit more upmarket.
In fact though, I experimented with it soon after I got it, shooting in various situations where the light wasn't as good as it might have been and the results were pretty encouraging.
Up to and including ISO3200 noise simply isn't a problem. What there is, is easily removed using Lightroom (3.6), although I dare say any worthwhile noise removal tool would do just as well.
Above that, Hi1, or ISO6400, the noise is a lot worse and really it's too much to realistically get away with.
At Hi2, or ISO128000, it's useless. I think that Nikon only included the option to show us that they know how!
I only ever shoot in RAW.

Re. ViewNX2. By coincidence, I installed it this very afternoon. It's been in the box since I bought the camera at the beginning of July!
I haven't done anything to speak of with it yet but it does look interesting. As you say, for a freebie, I reckon it'll be alright.

Bren.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.