Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

D7000 or D300s

Nick_G e2
5 26 England
4 Jun 2012 1:12PM
I have at the moment a Finepix S5 Pro and am looking to upgrade to another DX format Nikon and cant bring myself to choose between the D7000 or the D300s, I dont want any other model as I dont want the added expense of buying different lenses. Any advice on this topic will be gratefully received. I am only a moderately keen amateur. I wouldl ike to do some sports shots and while the S5 can do this to a degree it is not ideal. My lenses are all Nikon :-70-300mm VR, 16-85 VR and 35 mm,1.8 prime.Thanks for looking in.

ps I've no intention selling my S5

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Steppenwolf 3 971
4 Jun 2012 2:13PM
D7000 every time - it's a much later model so it's got a better sensor (better at high ISO), better focus and is generally faster. The D300s is just about to be replaced. Have a look through the forum, there have been loads of discussions about this.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
4 Jun 2012 2:26PM
D7000 for sale in EPZ classified's
icphoto 13 1.5k England
4 Jun 2012 3:24PM
Without doubt a D7000. Had mine for over a year now - it replaced a Fuji S2 Pro, its a great camera and one I am very pleased with. Cheapest deal on the web is with pro camera shop who are based in Carlisle.
4 Jun 2012 3:36PM
The d7000 can not compete in the af department and shooting in bursts will fill the buffer very quick.
The ergonomics of the d300/s is much better as is the build quality.

The d7000 has better high iso performance and extra pixels and video, and the af is not as good as the 300/s.

A quick search on the dpreview forums will confirm that from user that have had the d7000 and sold to get the d300/s again.
The d7000 is not a replacement for the d300/s as many think.
NEWDIGIT 3 401 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2012 4:40PM
Im with Gareth on this one as you say you want to do sports work so the af and burst speed of the d300s would be the way to go even though the d7000 is technically newer in many other areas
Nick_G e2
5 26 England
4 Jun 2012 6:12PM
Many thanks all for taking the time to reply,your opinions and advice are much appreciated.
Stillbase 3 63 Wales
4 Jun 2012 7:12PM
Can I add my two-penny worth based on my personal experience. Just because a camera has all of the wonderful up to date "bells and whistles", it may not necessarily be the camera for you. 4 years ago I bought a Nikon D300, at the time the star Nikon DX camera, so I thought "its got to be good and will improve my picture taking no end". Two weeks ago I got rid of it and bought a Nikon D5100 because the D300 was far too clever for me. There were too many settings I could choose and I got myself totally confused and as a result my pictures got worse and worse and I spent more and more time post processing to make them look presentable. So now I have opted for the more simple D5100 and the pictures are great plus the fact it is a lot lighter then the D300 to lug around everywhere.

So the moral of my story is to consider not only the camera's complexity and your ability/expertise to cope with it, but also its weight before laying out a great deal of hard earned 's. Just because we buy the most expensive camera it doesn't mean the quality of our shots will take a quantum leap forward.
4 Jun 2012 8:51PM
I have to say i,m with stillbase with what i think he is trying to get across. i upgdraded from the D70s to the D7000. Fantastik camara. i felt i had gone as far as i think i could with my older camara. and even thought i love my new D7000. i have to say it was a hard lerning curve. but once there.WOW. i think u cant go wrong whith the D7000.it will do all the things the D5100. will do, but you will enjoy better build and a better experince. i would go and hold both. i think you will see what i mean.
dandeakin 7 202 3 England
5 Jun 2012 12:32AM
If you need strong auto focus and burst get the D300s. If not look at the D7000. Either would be great.

Unless you need video why not get a D300. Second hand you'll get one for 500.

They'll be a new Pro DX camera coming soon which should drop the prices of both the D300 and D300s mind you
5 Jun 2012 7:35AM
I use the D300s (sometimes), the D7000 quite a bit, the D3s, and have the D800 on order.
When some-one asks a question like this it helps if the question includes comment on why the wish to upgrade, and what sort of photos will be taken.
For some-one upgrading from an S5 Pro my presumption is the D7000 obviously higher resolution when needed, much better 14 bit AF performance, slightly better noise, greater dynamic range and extensive in camera post processing and recording options will be more important than the better build quality (the D7000 is quite good) slightly better AF and bigger buffer (do not expect much at 14 bit) of the more expensive D300s.
Nikon give you choices. As a good all round camera the D7000 easily wins. As a semi pro body the D300s wins - despite it's now long in the tooth technology.
Nick_G e2
5 26 England
5 Jun 2012 10:50AM
Once again many thanks for your comments.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.