Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D7000 to D800

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    25 Aug 2012 - 3:58 PM

In the D800 First impressions thread LeftForum's almost final comment is "I am careful not to categorise this sort of input as "testing" but, rather, as "impressions". They really are just some thoughts based on growing experience of the camera".
    Having had a D800 for 4 weeks it might be useful for me to give first impressions from another photographers perspective.
    First why a D7000 when I also have a D3s and a D300s?
    I shoot mainly wild flowers and insects in the field in the summer. DX gives me extra working distance, extra depth of field for the same angle of view, extra "reach" at minimum focus, and the D7000 gives me more resolution than any other current DX body. So the D7000 has been my main body between April and July.
    A plus and minus of the D800 is the viewfinder is 1.5 stops darker than a good DX body - a disadvantage of all the FX bodies in low light.
    A plus is the D800 can AF when light levels are too low to frame an image through the viewfinder with an f4 optic!
    Before anybody shouts LiveView I have managed some decent shots with the 24-120 at around 1 second hand held; technique including pressing my face firmly against the back of the camera.
    The AF is also faster than my D3s.
    The AF detection between D7000 and D800 is quite different, with D7000 detection lines relatively long, compared to D800 where (like the D3s) the detection lines are shorter than the D3/700.
    D800 build I put as definitely better than D700, but behind the D3s.
    Unlike the D7000 dof preview is back to where it traditionally has been on Nikon bodies.
    Rear view monitor colours, especially greens, are much more accurate than on my earlier bodies.
    Exposure delay mode now includes a welcome for me 3 second option.
    The retouch menu includes straighten and also distortion control (shift lens effect) similar to D7000.
    Image detail is superb with good technique, as you would expect.
    I am seriously thinking about a 300 f4 VR (assuming Photokina rumours are right) and a TC for increased working distance for my close up work in 2013. Adding to LeftForum's observation the D800 has lots of interesting options.
    The D800 comes with a USB3 image download cable - a speed increase if you have USB 3! My 4 year old 4GB computer with decent graphic card handles the large files "OK".
    With faster process time solid state hard drives arriving, 16 GB now possible in a lap top and Windows 8 to drive the Windows equivalent of the Mac high speed connection due soon I expect to upgrade early next year. Then I plan an A2 printer, and a large RGB monitor.
    Buying the D800 can be the start rather than the end of an upgrade process Smile

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 25 Aug 2012 - 4:01 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Aug 2012 - 3:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Aug 2012 - 5:26 PM

Quote: Buying the D800 can be the start rather than the end of an upgrade process Smile

You aint kidding, having read LeftForums execellent real world tests I have taken the plunge and odered a D800E (I do mostly landscapes).
    Now its back to the piggy bank for some new fast glass, new pc, monitor and printer, not forgetting the ancillaries such as remote release spare batteries, cards (I do wish the cards were identical so mush simpler).
    And finally if anyone knows of a UK outlet that has Lee big stopper on the shelf let me know mine have been on order since May and still no sign of them perhaps Santa will bring them

Graysta
    Graysta  91118 forum posts England
    25 Aug 2012 - 7:11 PM

I looked at Jessops the other day and noticed the D800e for less than the D800

User_Removed
    25 Aug 2012 - 7:27 PM

Quote: I looked at Jessops the other day and noticed the D800e for less than the D800

It is, indeed, listed at 20 cheaper. But it is "out of stock" while the D800 is "in stock".

But a very interesting observation given that D800s are now in every store while Nikon claims to still be having problems keeping up with the demand for the D800E.

Graysta
    Graysta  91118 forum posts England
    25 Aug 2012 - 8:04 PM

Just looking at some files from my D800 in LR4.the recovery and adjustments are amazing,far more pronounced than from my D3 wonder if its the file size or just that the later processor works better with lightroom.

whatsthisbuttondo
    whatsthisbuttondo e2 Member 3whatsthisbuttondo vcard England
    25 Aug 2012 - 8:30 PM

I just wish i could afford

User_Removed
    25 Aug 2012 - 10:01 PM

Quote: Just looking at some files from my D800 in LR4.the recovery and adjustments are amazing,far more pronounced than from my D3 wonder if its the file size or just that the later processor works better with lightroom.

It's one of the many consequences of having a lot more data available. I have found that not only does Lightroom do so much more with D800 NEF files - but so does Nik ColorEfex, SilverEfex and HDREfex. So too, I am sure, will CS6, if only I had the time to really get into it.

It's what I meant on the other thread when I said that you really need to develop a different mindset to fully appreciate what can be done with the D800. The purist in me doesn't necessarily like it - I instinctively want to continue thinking that photography is what you do with the camera. But I have to concede that, with all the data produced by that 36Mp sensor, it really is necessary to think in terms of photo processing really just being one type of data processing.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96101 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2012 - 10:14 PM

Quote: just that the later processor works better with lightroom.

LR 4 had a major overhaul with the processing with relation to the basic Panel.
    Exposure, Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Whites & Darks are far more powerful.

So I think it is both the file size AND LR 4 combined that is making the difference.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.