Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D80 upwards

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat606
tomcat606  596 forum posts
23 Feb 2010 - 8:18 PM

Hi all
From the Nikon D80 upwards’ what would you say the order of quality is e.g. D90-D300-D300s ect.ect up to the D700

Regards Steve

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Feb 2010 - 8:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Rick_Huggins
23 Feb 2010 - 8:27 PM

The reverse of what you've posted LOL i.e 700, 300s, 300, 90

But there are pro's & cons, cost, FX/DX functionality, value for money etc

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2010 - 9:29 PM

they didnt say which order though.... but yes the order you have posted is the order of 'quality' going in the upwards direction..... cost relative to quality though.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2010 - 9:35 PM

LOL @ Rick......Smile

As rick says there are pros & cons when comparing DX & FX format.

As for the question on quality, Its a wide open question, Are we talking biuld quality, Or image quality.

If its image quality, At base ISO 200 in good or studio lighting & a decent lens, Your going to have to look very hard indeed when comparing the D80 with any of the models mentioned, To see any mega difference, A decent image printed to A4 from any of them will look similar.

However start cranking the ISO up a notch or 2, To say 800 or 1000/1600, Then things get more noticeable, The D80 will fall behind the others from around ISO 400/500 from a noisey image perspective.

If we are talkin biuld quality, Well the D80 is pretty good, Probably on a par with the D90, However the others you mention are a more professional biuld quality.....!!!

tomcat606
tomcat606  596 forum posts
23 Feb 2010 - 9:51 PM

Hi could you elaborate on the FX/DX functionality

Rick_Huggins
23 Feb 2010 - 9:57 PM

FX is full frame i.e D700>D3
DX is cropped sensor i.e D40-D300s

Last Modified By Rick_Huggins at 23 Feb 2010 - 9:58 PM
janeez
janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2010 - 10:40 PM

Having a D80 I would not "upgrade" to a D90 as I have no interest in live view or the video function. To me this is an unnecessary extra. Live view is great for draining batteries and if I wanted a camcorder I would get one designed for the job. D80, D300 (live view switched off!) and beyond for me. Not experienced any real problems with noise if I use the noise reduction setting, but I rarely need ISOs above 400 anyway.

cliffez
cliffez  5139 forum posts
23 Feb 2010 - 10:57 PM

To put a fly in the ointment, I have just (Jan) upgraded a D80 to a D90 . . . I was perfectly happy with the pictures on the D80 . . . but I could not always read the tiny shoulder information screen! The D90 has the option of a 3"!!!! information display . . . one of the draw backs of advancing yearsSmile

I find the menus a little involved and over egged on the D90, so I ignore most of themTongue I need a camera not a computer . . . Wink

Cliffez

paperboy
paperboy  4208 forum posts
24 Feb 2010 - 12:32 AM

D80 to D300s for me and I assure you there is no similarity in the cameras. Biggest differences great higher ISO useability, repeatable and reliable matrix metering. My d80 was a good camera, and I learned to live and adjust to its' idiocyncracies, however Iit required constant surveilance. The D300s never gets in your way.

Unmentioned improvements; build, focus system, easy controls access, dual card system, much better data proccessing, etc. etc.

Downside: no 1 way to use focus system for all situations, absolutely must read and understand the manual, if you don't keep the D80 and save the $$. Take the time to do so and you will be amazed.

Rick_Huggins
24 Feb 2010 - 7:10 AM

Quote: D80 to D300s for me and I assure you there is no similarity in the cameras. Biggest differences great higher ISO usability, repeatable and reliable matrix metering. My d80 was a good camera.

Unmentioned improvements; build, focus system, easy controls access, dual card system, much better data proccessing, etc. etc.

I second this absolutely!

cliffez
cliffez  5139 forum posts
24 Feb 2010 - 12:46 PM

For me, it was all about cost and weight??? A D300 would have been first choice but at almost double the price?Sad I overcame the D80's most irritating problem of wayward matrix metering by using 'Center weight average', spot on every time, and shoot in RAW just in case. The other problem is weight, the D300 is by my standards a couple of house bricks around the neck.

Not into making an impression either . . .

Cliffez

Last Modified By cliffez at 24 Feb 2010 - 12:47 PM
discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2010 - 12:56 PM

Try a bit of night photography (over 30 second exposures) with both, and you'll figure out another reason I prefer the D300. Dark noise in the D80 is horrendous, whereas the internal shielding of the larger camera reduces it to a negligable level.

Strobe
Strobe  61254 forum posts United States
24 Feb 2010 - 1:36 PM

I also have a D80 and have been tempted to upgrade to the D300 as it seens to be the logical route.

I am one of those sad people waiting for the D400, although it has not been announced I just know the day after I buy a D300 the D400 will be announced (I have been saying that for 8 months Sad )

User_Removed
24 Feb 2010 - 1:55 PM

I went from the 80 to the 300 mainly due to cost, it's what I could afford. I would have liked the 700 but my lenses are DX so it would have been an expensive upgrade. The 300 is a great camera I think. I would have FF one day if money allowed I think. But don't expect to need to upgrade again until then.

Gary_Macleod
24 Feb 2010 - 6:19 PM

I have just gone from D80 to D300....and what I can tell so far is that the D300 is a completely different beast, so glad i took the plunge. Still a lot to learn with the D300 from the D80 but I'm enjoying it thoroughly.The D300 I bought was S/H and traded my d80 as part of the deal and the movie mode and extra cost made me go for the 300 over the 300s...movie mode doesn't appeal to me.I think it's like everything you can wait wait and wait some more(like I did) and you could end up waiting forever. the D300 will certainly be with me for some time to come, good glass is now my priority.

Good luck with decision.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.