Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D800 + Nikon 28-300mm combo?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61193 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2013 - 5:01 PM

I took the plunge today and ordered a D800 Smile which I have been studying since it's launch last year. Many thanks to everyone who posted about this camera, especially Leftforum, your user feedback along with everyone else's really helped me make my decision. Now here is the problem Sad. Again, having read lots of reports and reviews I decided on the Nikon 28-300mm lens (if it's good enough for Andy Rouse then it should be good enough for me) and duly ordered it with the camera. Later today I went back to add some items to my order and this time the person I spoke to said the 28-300mm didn't work very well with the D800 (He also suggested the D600 would be a better camera for me, which it really isn't, so I ignored that one!).

What I would like to know is if anyone uses this combination and what their overall impressions are about it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Feb 2013 - 5:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett
ikett  4351 forum posts England
11 Feb 2013 - 5:45 PM

I remember seeing a list of lenses for the D800 sorry can't find it now, but this "AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR" was deffo on there.

edtaylor
edtaylor  3104 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 - 6:10 PM

I have the D800 and 28-300 "combo". I am very pleased with it. Look at my portfolio, one cottage in the cotswolds. I took that with the camera and lens mentioned. See what you think of this hand held photo.

kojak
kojak e2 Member 1kojak vcard United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 - 6:13 PM

The Nikon 28-300 is an FX lens so should work. However, it is ok for a 'one lens fits all' approach whereby you only want to carry one lens. If its quality youre after, then there are better lens but means buying more than one lens.....which costs a lot more.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-300mm.htm

Last Modified By kojak at 11 Feb 2013 - 6:18 PM
Newdevonian
11 Feb 2013 - 6:14 PM

Don't know this bloke from Adam!:
http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/04/05/and-the-nikon-d800-autofocus-saga-continues...

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62479 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 - 6:16 PM

I do not know exactly what the second salesman said.
The lens of your choice provides more image resolution on a D800 than on a D600, will autofocus perfectly etc.
I think you already know you will get even more resolution with more expensive lenses.
I own the D7000 and equivalent 18-200 and use the combination as a "do it all" lightweight setup.
When my aim is top quality large prints are I use a D800 and top quality lenses.
I do not know your budget.
A lens like the 24-120 f4 will give overall better results on the D800 for not much more money, but does not go anywhere near 300 mm.
Adding in the 70-200 f4 and TC14e will give you near enough 300mm - at an extra 1,600, or maybe 1250 if you wait 6 months for the 70-200 f4 to be discounted.
If the body and lens are already on their way to you if you change your mind quickly the retailer is likely to exchange the lens.
If you did not go into the shop, as seems to be the case, and bought from a UK retailer, you are entitled to change your mind and to get a full refund or exchange for up to about six working days from delivery.

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 11 Feb 2013 - 6:17 PM
janeez
janeez e2 Member 61193 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2013 - 6:29 PM

Budget is a consideration and it was bought from Wex so I have 7 days to return it. I would love to buy more expensive lenses but just not at the moment. It does make me wonder if Nikon would bring out a sub standard, a bit rubbish, lens? I haven't known them do this before. Wink

It will be used for mainly wedding and portrait work so rarely used at the extreme ends but it's there if I need it.

I have looked at lots of images so far and can't really see a major problem. Obviously if I were to spend a couple of thousand on two or three F2.8 zooms then quality would indeed improve but that is a while away yet.

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
11 Feb 2013 - 6:50 PM

I am sure it will be fine.

RoyChilds
RoyChilds e2 Member 656 forum postsRoyChilds vcard England
11 Feb 2013 - 8:35 PM

Hi janeez

Bought on an impulse I was happy with the Nikon 28 -300 until i tried the Nikon 24-120 F4, i was blown away with this lens it is sharper faster ie locks on focus even in low light, its lighter to carry and just a lot nicer all round, its not that the 28-300 is bad but its range does mean compromise, it does hunt quite a bit at the long end sometimes struggles to focus especially moving stuff, when extended its long, its not discrete.It does extend when walking about unless you lock it closed. Its best use is probably travel,or when your not sure what youre going to shoot. I shoot mainly landscape so the 24-120 F4 suits me better. ps i use a Nikon D600

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111547 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2013 - 9:08 PM

I purchased the D800 at the weekend from Park Cameras. They registered my purchase immediately with Nikon and I was given some vouchers as part of a promotion for 'NikonPlus'. Among these was a voucher for 70 off of the 24-120 f4. It might be worth phoning WEX to ask if this is a universal promotion.

janeez
11 Feb 2013 - 10:57 PM

I did speak to them today and the only thing they had on offer was a free camera case. I wish I had known about Park cameras offer as this would have tempted me. I do have the option of returning camera and lens though.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62479 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 - 9:48 AM

Off topic but anybody visiting Focus in three weeks time should be able to get up to 10% off normal street prices at the show.
Any few dealers who do not go to the Sho have in previous years given special discounts for orders placed during the show period.
For those about to buy special discounts in early March are likely

janeez
12 Feb 2013 - 10:08 AM

We have a wedding fair on the Sunday which is when we would normally go and unfortunately far too busy the rest of that week. Sad I will have to see if I can postpone some of the work load and maybe go on the Tuesday.

janeez
12 Feb 2013 - 12:36 PM

Its arrived. I will post some images later after putting the lens through it's paces. Tongue

ChrisV
ChrisV  7786 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2013 - 1:34 PM

I have the Tamron 28-300 VRII which I bought to go with my [then new] 5DII whilst I was awaiting insurance payout in order to buy the 24-105L and the 70-200 2.8L. Looking back at some of the images I got with that lens, they aren't too bad, but I haven't used the lens in a long time (maybe I should sell it].

The 24-105 vignettes quite badly wide open and there is a fair degree of barrel distortion. But comparing it with the Tamron, it seems almost negligible [but only in comparison].

Lenses which cover such a huge zoom range necessarily involve a fair degree of compromise - barrelling at the wide end with possibly a bit of pincushion toward the telephoto end [they often peak and then diminish slightly before the extreme of the zoom for some reason]. They'll often be far less sharp and exhibit a fair degree of chromatic aberration and clipping in high contrast areas.

I suspect that's why the salesman was suggesting a D600 for you because the 'typical' [which is probably a nonsense] D800 buyer would want to maximise the huge resolution of that sensor.

That doesn't make the 28-300 a 'bad' lens - just constrained by the limitations of its design. If such lenses weren't, then none of us would be buying primes, let alone more limited range zooms.

Unfortunately with photography, it's the same old story: Better quality means larger formats, bulkier equipment and more expense. Ultimately it's all about what you can afford and what compromises you are prepared to live with in the quest for ultimate quality.

But that's all just the technical side and some people will get better content than I can out of the humblest of equipment...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.