Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D800 - RAM problems

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jasonrwl
jasonrwl e2 Member 430 forum postsjasonrwl vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

I have just treated myself to a D800 but am now suffering serious problems with file size and RAM. I am on Windows 7 32-bit and have 4GB RAM but PS will not allow me to save a psd file created from the RAW file and in some cases crashes when working in RAW Converter. Even the JPEGs (which are about 16MB at fine quality) are causing problems with speed eg trying to use quick selction is incredibly slow which makes fine work almost impossible.

Does anybody know how I can get over this - I suspect the answer is "new computer" but I dont really want to do that as spent everything on the D800.

Thanks
Jason

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Spencer1966
20 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

yep - Id say a PC or better still an Imac upgrade is calling Wink

You might want to invest in some external hardrives too.

I know its a mighty fine camera, although use the 1D and 5D MkIII but I do question if we need such huge files, after all most never get printed above A4. I love my 5D with 23mp but I do tend to use my 10mp 1D more.

good luck

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

You need more RAM, I upgraded mine to 16GB before upgrading to the D800 and it can be slow. I also bought another external drive a 3TB one (will need another for back up too)

You also may need to use PSB rather thand PSD for files - certainly if they get over 2GB - and with the D800 they soon do.

sausage
sausage  9228 forum posts United Kingdom
20 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

I would go with 64bit and at least 8 gig ram. When I got my D800 a year ago I upgraded my computer - using Lightroom was slow although I didn't get any crashes. Now with a i5 cpu it all runs at the same speed pre D800.

Peter

puertouk
puertouk  21054 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

You need a new machine. Minimum 16GB RAM, SSD for your O/S and PS, Windows 7 64bit, 3TB hard drive, 3TB USB 3 external hard drive, top of the line monitor. Buy a serious camera, you then have to buy serious lenses and PC. If you saw how PS worked on the machine I have just mentioned, it would blow your mind away with how fast PS worked and then the final display on your monitor of how good the D800 really is.
Stephen

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91031 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

With all due respect, the OP hasn't said what spec their machine is. A 32bit OS can only utilise 4GB of RAM, so it may be a case of upgrading the OS to a 64bit version and then putting some more RAM in the machine before buying a whole new machine.

sitan1
sitan1  5457 forum posts United Kingdom
20 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

Quote: With all due respect, the OP hasn't said what spec their machine is. A 32bit OS can only utilise 4GB of RAM, so it may be a case of upgrading the OS to a 64bit version and then putting some more RAM in the machine before buying a whole new machine.

Wheres the fun in that Tongue

mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Quote: With all due respect, the OP hasn't said what spec their machine is. A 32bit OS can only utilise 4GB of RAM, so it may be a case of upgrading the OS to a 64bit version and then putting some more RAM in the machine before buying a whole new machine.

Quote: I am on Windows 7 32-bit and have 4GB RAM

Yes, it is 4GB maximum:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Sounds like a machine upgrade is in order (or at least OS upgrade depending on how old your machine is).

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 1:03 PM

StuartAt, Spot on.
mikehit, Absolutely right.

Spencer1966, Are you having a laugh....Grin

Quote: or better still an Imac

How in all that is technology is buying an iMac gonna help..??? Any machine by any maker with ANY OS, Will struggle without sufficient system resources, I think you must be mixing it with a few misguided ideas from the bible, Loaves & Fishes spring to mind.....Wink

Quote: but I do question if we need such huge files

LOL....You serious or what? It could be something to do with " Resolution " ......Sheeesh....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever....!!!

If we have as StuartAT has mentioned a much better idea of the current machine specs, From the CPU/GPU/Motherboard/RAM Type, We will be placed to advise some upgrades......Grin

Or not if the system board can not handle more RAM, On the face of it and if it is compatible, This machine would be far better of running 64Bit, As has been mentioned 32bit systems Can Not See more than 4Gb.....End of.

Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 20 May 2013 - 1:07 PM
dandeakin
dandeakin  6198 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 6:13 PM

If your editing in 16bit psd files rather than 8bit psd files then this will slow it down massively. At least it does on my machine with D700 files.

dandeakin
dandeakin  6198 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 8:17 PM

Quote: I dont know how you tell whether the psd files are 8 bit or 16 bit - can you help please?
Many thanks
Jason

Image>Mode>8 Bits/Channel (or 16 Bits/Channel).

My D700 shoots in 12 or 14Bit depending what you select. I'll do all the major exposure adjustments on the 12/14Bit RAW file in lightroom and then export it to Photoshop as a 8 Bit file.

You can set 8 or 16 Bits by default.

Never noticed any benifit of editing a 16 Bit file in PS, over a 8 Bit file. And it really slows the processing down.

Spencer1966
22 May 2013 - 8:46 AM

Quote:

Spencer1966, Are you having a laugh....Grin

Cameracat - ermm no Tongue

I went over to apple recently I wish I had done it sooner - just my opinion but many more support it.
Yes resolution - fully understand the concept but was just stating my OPINION again Tongue

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62434 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
22 May 2013 - 8:53 AM

32 bit is much slower than 64 bit, and the speed of the processor is also important.
As your specification with Windows 7 is 32 bit you probably do not have a top performing processor.
MacBook Pro with Retina display has better screen quality than anything - and makes a big hole in your pocket.

jasonrwl
jasonrwl e2 Member 430 forum postsjasonrwl vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 9:21 AM

Really appreciate all the advice guys. Thank you.

It seems pretty clear to me that I need to bite the bullet and get a new computer and will spec it as high as i can afford to do - definitely a 64-bit OS and loads of RAM. 32GB of RAM seems to be the most available and I will probably go for that to future proof as much as possible unless somebody tells me that there is no advantage in that over 16GB.

I will also deifinitely check out the difference between processing in PS as 8-bit or 16-bit files. I wasn't aware of this so thank you Dan.

Thanks again all.
Jason

Nickscape
Nickscape  8693 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Just upgraded to a 16gb RAM quad core PC good graphics card & Windows 7 64bit and it handles processing like a dream, the difference in speed is staggering. I had to upgrade due to the D7000 files being too big for my ageing system to cope.

I bought one similar to this Gaming PC

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.