Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D800 - RAM problems

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 1:06 PM

If you are going to be adjusting levels and curves etc there is a significant advantage in using the 16 bit image depth, if you go to 8 bit then I would wonder if you get much advantage shooting RAW over JPEG. When it comes to printing the final image then for many printers there is little difference between 8 and 16bit images.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 May 2013 - 1:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
22 May 2013 - 1:56 PM

For what it may (or may not) be worth.

I shoot only 14-bit lossless compressed Raw files on my D800 and D800E. The files average out at around 45Mb each.

I process mainly in Lightroom 4.4 and Photoshop CS6 with the suite of Nik plug-ins.

I find no problem at all processing those files with that software on a PC with an i7 processor and 16 Gb of RAM running 64-bit Windows 7. The PC is about 18 months old now - more recent versions should be even better.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62481 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
23 May 2013 - 9:08 AM

Quote: For what it may (or may not) be worth.
on a PC with an i7 processor

I am no computer expert, but something like a 1.7 processor is important - and the best 1.7 processors seem to be in about their fourth generation.
When I upgraded 8 months ago I went Mac with Retina screen.
While the improvement was "supersonic" a current high end PC would be significantly better than Vista 32 bit on a 5 year old machine.
A USB 3 machine and USB 3 external drive (around 120 for 2 GB) is significantly faster than USB 2.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.