Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

D800 - RAM problems

strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 May 2013 1:06PM
If you are going to be adjusting levels and curves etc there is a significant advantage in using the 16 bit image depth, if you go to 8 bit then I would wonder if you get much advantage shooting RAW over JPEG. When it comes to printing the final image then for many printers there is little difference between 8 and 16bit images.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog 2 627 Scotland
22 May 2013 1:56PM
For what it may (or may not) be worth.

I shoot only 14-bit lossless compressed Raw files on my D800 and D800E. The files average out at around 45Mb each.

I process mainly in Lightroom 4.4 and Photoshop CS6 with the suite of Nik plug-ins.

I find no problem at all processing those files with that software on a PC with an i7 processor and 16 Gb of RAM running 64-bit Windows 7. The PC is about 18 months old now - more recent versions should be even better.
23 May 2013 9:08AM

Quote:For what it may (or may not) be worth.
on a PC with an i7 processor

I am no computer expert, but something like a 1.7 processor is important - and the best 1.7 processors seem to be in about their fourth generation.
When I upgraded 8 months ago I went Mac with Retina screen.
While the improvement was "supersonic" a current high end PC would be significantly better than Vista 32 bit on a 5 year old machine.
A USB 3 machine and USB 3 external drive (around 120 for 2 GB) is significantly faster than USB 2.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.