Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D800 - RAM problems

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 1:06 PM

If you are going to be adjusting levels and curves etc there is a significant advantage in using the 16 bit image depth, if you go to 8 bit then I would wonder if you get much advantage shooting RAW over JPEG. When it comes to printing the final image then for many printers there is little difference between 8 and 16bit images.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 May 2013 - 1:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
22 May 2013 - 1:56 PM

For what it may (or may not) be worth.

I shoot only 14-bit lossless compressed Raw files on my D800 and D800E. The files average out at around 45Mb each.

I process mainly in Lightroom 4.4 and Photoshop CS6 with the suite of Nik plug-ins.

I find no problem at all processing those files with that software on a PC with an i7 processor and 16 Gb of RAM running 64-bit Windows 7. The PC is about 18 months old now - more recent versions should be even better.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
23 May 2013 - 9:08 AM

Quote: For what it may (or may not) be worth.
on a PC with an i7 processor

I am no computer expert, but something like a 1.7 processor is important - and the best 1.7 processors seem to be in about their fourth generation.
When I upgraded 8 months ago I went Mac with Retina screen.
While the improvement was "supersonic" a current high end PC would be significantly better than Vista 32 bit on a 5 year old machine.
A USB 3 machine and USB 3 external drive (around 120 for 2 GB) is significantly faster than USB 2.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.