Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D800 or D800e

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

uganda
uganda  7 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2013 - 2:50 PM

If money allowed - which would be preferred, esp. for travel & portrait/documentary work...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Apr 2013 - 2:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022924 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2013 - 3:34 PM

the cheapest one

JohnParminter
29 Apr 2013 - 4:10 PM

the smallest one

scottishphototours

The D800.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8984 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2013 - 5:06 PM

Never mind which of the pair, think more about portable storage if taking raw files.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2013 - 9:05 PM

The most expensive one.....!!!

Never buy cheap you know it makes sense....Grin

Quote: think more about portable storage

Portable storage has moved on quite a bit in the last few years, New and exotic materials mean it is much lighter to carry, Plus for all you colour conscious snappers out there, It comes in all the colours of the rainbow, Well the Adobe RGB rainbow at least.

Memory cards have crashed through the 128Gb barrier, Again in an assortment of colours, So there is bound to be one that matches your kit bag/shirt/jacket/shoes etc etc.

Wink

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
29 Apr 2013 - 9:42 PM

Slightly early days yet maybe but I anticipate no new DSLR cameras in 2014 with an AA filter.
When the D800 and D800e were launched the trade off between slightly higher resolution (it seems to be about 3% in the image file) and the increased risk of moire was largely unquantified.
12 months on with a camera from Pentax and 2 more from Nikon with no AA filter - the jury seems to have made its mind up moire is a none issue so dispense with an AA filter altogether rather than go the D800e route of reversing the normal AA effect.
With this in mind for me
1/ it would be the D800e now
2/ when the D800/D800e are replaced in perhaps 2015 my speculation is there will be only 1 version with no AA filter - and nothing to debate.

LenShepherd
29 Apr 2013 - 9:56 PM

Quote: Never mind which of the pair, think more about portable storage if taking raw files.

A WD Passport USB 3 2 GB is smaller than a LaCie rugged 500GB. I get 8x the speed and 4x the capacity for about the same price as my LaCie was 3 years ago.

richmowil
richmowil e2 Member 5241 forum postsrichmowil vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 12:12 AM

D800

RavenTepes
30 Apr 2013 - 6:24 PM

D800. I investigated both versions, and honestly, whilst granted, the 800E is slightly sharper, its moire and anti-aliasing isn't worth the extra cash.

LenShepherd
1 May 2013 - 7:30 AM

Quote: the 800E is slightly sharper, its moire and anti-aliasing isn't worth the extra cash.

The question was if money allowed i.e. ignoring cost.
I do not disagree the UK price premium of about 20% for about 3-4% more file resolution (which implies about 10% more sensor resolution) is more than many want to pay.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 7:54 AM

Are you really going to see a difference in say a typical A3print?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022924 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

No...and not even on an A2 print.

samueldilworth
1 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

The resolution difference, if it exists at all (I still haven’t seen proof of that) is minuscule. Most comparisons I’ve seen have made the basic mistake of applying the same sharpening, which makes the D800E look slightly more detailed. But obviously anyone using the two cameras properly would apply more sharpening to the D800 image if they wanted high micro-contrast, since the D800 images can take more sharpening before artefacts appear. With appropriate sharpening in both cases the resolution advantage of the D800E is at best negligible.

Moiré, when it happens, is a greater problem, since it’s ferociously ugly and fixing it destroys detail on a much larger scale than the D800’s anti-aliasing filter does. And you can’t have it both ways: if you think you can correct moiré in Lightroom without detrimental loss of detail, then you’re really only saying you wouldn’t notice any resolution gain the D800E might provide.

Likewise, if you’re using anything but the best lenses you’re spending money in the wrong place if you’re seeking edge-to-edge sharpness.

My own view is that the D800E is a camera for suckers, and the trend to abolish anti-aliasing filters on new cameras is premature and marketing-driven. Information theory says any digital sampling system needs an anti-aliasing filter, which is why, after all, camera companies have hitherto added these costly things to their cameras.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Speaking without any direct experience of the cameras on offer - for shooting Weddings, I would opt for the D800 (just in case moiré becomes a problem)

For landscape and travel, the D800E would be tempting... depending on the price premium.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.