Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D800 or D800e

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
3 Jul 2013 - 10:53 PM

Quote:
Apart from high ISO performance, is the D4 better than a D3X?

Do you mean the D3s or the D3x?
Unless you want to print bigger than about A3 from the entire picture area, to crop a lot, have a need for the more advanced AF system or the improved video, or need more accurate colour on the rear monitor - the D4 is probably not better than the D3s.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Jul 2013 - 10:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
4 Jul 2013 - 10:29 AM

Quote: For many purposes and for most photographers, I'd have thought that digital camera image quality has reached a plateau.

When a customer ordered some extra prints from a 2006 session a few weeks back, I was very aware the image quality of the Kodak DCS760 bodies (that I was using then) is a long way short of the D3X that I use today. But in the studio at base ISO, would I notice much difference between a D3X and a D800?

Apart from high ISO performance, is the D4 better than a D3X?

I think your use of the word "plateau" is interesting. Especially as you then mention studio work.

It may well be that the plateau for the majority of studio work, where many conditions can be controlled, was reached some time ago.

It is at the extremes of performance that recent "advances" do make a difference. Which is why, in my view, a D3X might indeed meet the studio photographer's requirements admirably and a D800 might give him no real advantages.

For those pursuing other genres and wanting to push the limits, then the D800 does offer some additional scope (and the D4 would also offer some additional - but different - scope.)

Last Modified By Gundog at 4 Jul 2013 - 10:30 AM
thewilliam
4 Jul 2013 - 5:50 PM

One good friend chose D800 bodies when he re-equipped because more of his wedding albums are now jumbo-size with 20x16 inch pages. A double-page spread can be 32 or 40 inches wide and viewed from fairly close. I've no idea what the D800 bodies replaced.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.