Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

D90 or D300?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
tepot
tepot  94416 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Feb 2009 - 4:06 AM

I've been contemplating upgrading from my old trusty D70s to a newer camera, i first thought of getting the Canon 5D but i have quite a few Nikon fit lenses so i guess it makes more sense to stay with Nikon but which one?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Feb 2009 - 4:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pokeyb
pokeyb e2 Member 7pokeyb vcard United States
13 Feb 2009 - 5:46 AM

I have the D-80 and the D-300 I think you would love the D-300, It's costs about $1000.00 More than the D-80 but is an excellent choice. I like both of them very much. The 300 has and does a lot more than the 80 and is also 12.3 MP. The D90 I believe is just an upgrade of the 80 with the movie aspect included. I really don't care for the movie aspect.

2himanshu
2himanshu  6 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2009 - 7:17 AM

d300 is a very sound choice, go ahead if u have the budget

Franticsmurf
13 Feb 2009 - 7:55 AM

Having owned and used a D300 for just under a year, I can recommend it as an excellent camera. It'll make the most of your lenses and there'll be the familiarity of Nikon layout and controls as well.

Dave

Rob_Taylor
Rob_Taylor  10659 forum posts Wales5 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2009 - 8:17 AM

I upgraded a few months back from a D80 to a D300 but considered the D90 at the time.
Having used the D300 for a while now, if I had the choice again I would go for the D90. Most of the time the D300 is overkill for me, it's a great camera if you make use of the functionality. Otherwise I'd get a D90, save a few hundred pounds, get the same image quality and not have to carry around the brick of a camera that the D300 is.
Ken Rockwell even reckons there's better high ISO performance on a D90 ....and he know's what he's talking about.

Rob

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
JBA
JBA  5341 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2009 - 9:06 AM

Quote: I upgraded a few months back from a D80 to a D300 but considered the D90 at the time.
Having used the D300 for a while now, if I had the choice again I would go for the D90. Most of the time the D300 is overkill for me, it's a great camera if you make use of the functionality. Otherwise I'd get a D90, save a few hundred pounds, get the same image quality and not have to carry around the brick of a camera that the D300 is.
Ken Rockwell even reckons there's better high ISO performance on a D90 ....and he know's what he's talking about.

Rob

Judging by your PF you certainly got the best out of your D80.
I bet you'll find the functionality useful at some point and then learn to love your D300 . . .
Yeah Ken knows his stuff. . . cough. . . . choke. . . Wink

BubbaG2000
13 Feb 2009 - 10:00 AM

Quote: I'd get a D90, save a few hundred pounds, get the same image quality and not have to carry around the brick of a camera that the D300 is.

My reasons for getting the D90! I read that the sensor was equal to or better than the D300's. Plus I saved a few bones to spend on a funky lens!

People concentrate too much on the movie mode on the D90. Yes, it has it and it is crap... doesn't mean you have to use it though! The extra functionality doesn't make it heavier or anything...

BubbaG2000
13 Feb 2009 - 10:01 AM

Quote: Yeah Ken knows his stuff. . . cough. . . . choke. . .

Ha! You just HAVE to love him though!!!

tepot
14 Feb 2009 - 5:54 AM

Quote: People concentrate too much on the movie mode on the D90. Yes, it has it and it is crap... doesn't mean you have to use it though!

I will buy a dedicated video camera if i want to do video's, as is though i will probably go for the D90 and save a few quid and put it towards a new lens......

thanks guys

Terry.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2009 - 1:09 PM

Quote: People concentrate too much on the movie mode on the D90. Yes, it has it and it is crap

Although, in fact, people are starting to make commercial stuff with it.

So it can't be too bad! Wink

Last Modified By Carabosse at 14 Feb 2009 - 1:12 PM
pokeyb
pokeyb e2 Member 7pokeyb vcard United States
14 Feb 2009 - 6:08 PM

I just think if you are going to buy a camera for semi or professional use that the movie camera aspect is not necessary. I think that is more of a hobbiest consumer thing. In other words not a serious photographer.

tepot
14 Feb 2009 - 7:08 PM

I suppose the most useful aspect of the movie feature is if you were out somewhere and wanted to video something discreetly?

Last Modified By tepot at 14 Feb 2009 - 7:09 PM
miked70
miked70  5225 forum posts South Africa3 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2009 - 2:08 PM

look at it this way d300 with "ok" lens or d90 with prime lens.
i have the d90 and the iso is just great at max i do not see any problems. would love the d300 but for the price diff. would get a prime lens.keep the 70 great backup very little change between them on controls fps is great to. main reason is what type of work you would use it for.forget the "movie" function live view is great as well. only problem at the moment is raw, only cs4 bibble5 and lightroom v2.2

Picture_Newport

Just had this very dilema.

In the end I went for the D90 + Grip and got a nice new Sigma 18 - 50 f/2.8. In all about 100 more than the D300 body only.

I am really happy with it and I am quite sure I made the right decision.

Paul

WalidD300
WalidD300  568 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2009 - 6:24 PM

It does not matter if you have a D90 or the D300, what matters is the lens you get.

I had D80, well still own it and then bought D3, then downgraded to D300 because of the cost of D3,

What I found is the image quality is the same for any camera, just the technique as well as the lenses you have, what I mean is you can notice the difference between a lens which has f1.8 and f4.5 in the dark only but if it is bright and sunny which we hardly get, the lenses will perform the same quality.

Save money and get D90 with a lens.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.