Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Daft Question

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3774 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jul 2012 - 11:20 AM

I have been using CS3 for some time now, I thought I'd got the gang of many of its features, but one is eluding me.

I took a shot of a Norman Castle Keep the other day, it looks great except that the lens distortion makes parts of it appear to lean backwards.

I know there is a correction tool within CS3 menus, but after being shown once, some time ago.....I can't remember where it is.

Could a Photoshop savvy member advise please?

CHEERS!

Hobbo

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Jul 2012 - 11:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
    29 Jul 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi Hobbo,
    I'm not sure about CS3 but in CS5 (and 6) it's under 'Filters' > 'Lens correction.'

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 54209 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jul 2012 - 11:40 AM

If lens correction doesn't work, try Edit - Transform. You'll find a list including Perspective there.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 29 Jul 2012 - 11:41 AM
    frabstor
    frabstor  11 United Kingdom
    29 Jul 2012 - 12:38 PM

Hi Hobbo
    Just checked my old copy of CS3 and (only in RGB) it's under filters>distort>lens correction.

SteveCharles
    30 Jul 2012 - 10:24 AM

Jester and Frabstor are correct for the lens correction tool, you can also do a basic correction by using the crop tool and ticking the 'perspective' box at the top of the screen. This will allow you to pull the corners in to match the angle of the lines you want to straighten and it will crop and correct.

Last Modified By SteveCharles at 30 Jul 2012 - 10:26 AM
    hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3774 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2012 - 11:26 AM

A HUGE THANK YOU! folks...

The info is now backj in my old memory banks:

Hobbo

Jestertheclown
    30 Jul 2012 - 11:57 AM

Quote: you can also do a basic correction by using the crop tool and ticking the 'perspective' box at the top of the screen.

Agreed and in many cases it will work, provided the shot has been taken from directly in front of the subject. If the shot's been taken at an angle across, or looking upwards at the subject, then correcting verticals, using this tool or a version of the 'transform, distort' action can and more often than not does, lead to distortion elsewhere within the image.
    Using the lens correction tool is a more subtle approach.

User_Removed
    30 Jul 2012 - 12:28 PM

Jester I can see that you're well up to date on the subtle differences between versions. I'm thinking of upgrading to CS6. How much did it cost you and what were main benefits (from photographer's point of view)?

Jestertheclown
    30 Jul 2012 - 3:54 PM

Chris,
    PM on way.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.