Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Dance Exhibition

widtink e2
2 406 2 Scotland
5 Sep 2012 8:38PM
Hi everyone Iam going to be taking some pictures at an exhibition of dance (pole dancing , burlesque and exotic dance) with my D7000 does anybody have any wee tips for me (keep it cleanWink) rgarding the best method. I only have a 50mm lens but am thinking that will be fine for potraits etc , only flash i have is on the camera. I was thinking about shooting in B/W mostly just need advice on roughly the best camera settings to use.

Rod

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee e2
10 4.0k 24 Scotland
5 Sep 2012 9:22PM
Shoot in RAW, don't use flash and don't be afraid to turn up the ISO (grain/noise can add to atmosphere in low light).
Also try some spot metering
widtink e2
2 406 2 Scotland
5 Sep 2012 9:33PM
right never shot in raw yet oops sorryWink i did think of upping the iso . How will spot metering help ?

cheers
Rod
User_Removed 7 736 4
28 Oct 2012 10:34AM
Spot metering, up the ISO and you'll probably have to shoot wide open (f2.8 or 1.4/1.8 with your nifty fifty) at the lowest handheld speed you can, bearing in mind how fast the subject is moving. No flash. Spot metering because the dynamic range of this kind of shooting situation (pitch black to very bright light/spotlights) exceeds that of the camera and you need to get the face exposed correctly - in low light settings like this, it doesn't matter if the background fades to black. If you can borrow a 70 - 200mm f2.8 for the event, do (don't go lower than 1/160th, handheld, with the VR on if you do and, if you can, keep the speed higher than this or you'll sacrifice a number of frames to motion blur). If it's possible to have a tripod (do check with the organisers) then you can make a virtue of some motion blur by having the shutter speed way lower - just remember to turn the VR off if you stick it on a tripod!). Do not even think of shooting JPeg! In low light, you really need the extra flexibility that shooting in RAW brings - you'll probably need to alter white balance, recover highlights and bring up the shadows in post and you won't be able to do it as well from a jpeg.
widtink e2
2 406 2 Scotland
28 Oct 2012 11:35AM
thanks for all the info the dance nite has passed with not alot of success i'm afraid, spot meter =yes high iso=yes nifty fifty= yes no flas=yes but i left my d7000 on autofocus 1 less thing to think about, the result ,aye you guessed it most of the photos were out of focus Sad got a few usable one of which i will post today i think. It was a worthwhile exercise cos i learned a few lessons and thats the name of this game innit Smile
Thanks again for all your advice its much appreciated

Rod

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.