Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dark patch appearing in one corner using my new D7000

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cymroDan
cymroDan  7174 forum posts
20 Jul 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hi all, I'm going to investigate this more when I've got the time to play with my equipment (as I'm in work right now), but I thought I'd make a post incase anyone has any recommendations or incase someone else has come across this.

The situation is, I bought a brand new D7000 from amazon (registered for the 2 year warranty etc) within the last couple of months. I am happy with the camera, but noticed after a trip to london, when reviewing the pictures on the bus back - that a black / feint oval kept appearing on the top left of my images. I had only used the one lens while there, the 50mm 1.8 that I had attached. I'd hoped maybe a spec of dirty or something had fallen in the 50mm, and so waited til I got home before investigating further. I couldn't see anything really on the lens when looking, but then refitted it and took a picture of my whiteish wall next to my desk and couldn't see the mark anymore - so I thought maybe it just shifted by its own accord while I was dettaching it to look. I did have a glance in the camera too, but didn't see anything (though realise now maybe I shoulda locked the mirror up to check the sensor for any dust?). I was satisfied at the time, seemed to fix itself.

Now, I've just had a look at some pictures from the weekend I took, this time using my 18-200mm VR I, and noticed the same pattern again. I'm hoping there's nothing wrong with my camera. I've not cleaned the inside of a camera before, which is why I've not fully investigated the camera to see if there's any dirt or dust on the sensor. I hoped it was was the lens, and didn't want to cause more damage through my inexperience with the interior of a dlsr. I'm not sure whether focusing at different distances is affecting it's visibility of this mark, since I tricked myself into thinking it wasn't still an issue with that test shot of my wall.

So, any thoughts or recommendations? here is an image from this Sunday that illustrates the pattern I mean:
Check the picture for July 15th

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jul 2012 - 11:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
20 Jul 2012 - 11:42 AM

You have a spec of dust on the sensor, dust in or on the lens very rarely shows up on images. Sensor dust shows up more when the lens is stopped down which is why it may not be noticeable in all shots. The solution is fairly simple, you just need to clean the sensor and if you do a search you should find plenty of posts about the best way to do this.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Christographer_Hull

Looks definitely like dust on the sensor!

NikLG
NikLG  91736 forum posts England
20 Jul 2012 - 11:48 AM

You'll probably get away with just giving it a blast with a Rocket blower. Most of the specs / dust and stuff that one gets
on the sensor covering ( it's not on the actual sensor ) is dry so it'll shift fairly easily....at least that's been my experience.
Hold your camera upside down when you blow the air in. It'll give any crap a better chance of dropping out of the camera
when it's moved.

Also it's not a big deal to do the whole wet-clean either, as intimidating as some people seem to think it is. There is very little
chance that you damage anything unless you are very very heavy handed, or try to use a brillo pad or something....the worst
you're likely to get is a bit of smearing, so you'd have to do it again....

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139497 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 11:53 AM

Yep, Rocket blower has worked for me for all the interchangeable lens digital cameras I've owned over the years. The only time it won't work is if the muck is greasy.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123967 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 12:01 PM

when I ought my D7000 at Focus in 2011 it had two dust spots on the sensor; in a relatively dust free environment like a bathroom or kitchen I ensured that my battery was fully charged, locked the shutter open, removed the body cap and turned the camera upside down so I had to look up inside the lens throat and blasted the sensor with a Rocket blower, job done;

Cleaning sensors is not so terrifying provided you take a few precautions e.g. when you "wet" clean a sensor use one or two drops of fluid only; if the sensor needs a major clean I place it throat up on the kitchen table and use a loupe so I can see what I am doing, once you are used to it and have your favourite tools to hand it is an easy and quick process; I use these tools; the loupe isn't the best made instrument in the world but it does.

G'luck Grin

User_Removed
20 Jul 2012 - 12:07 PM

How big is the dark patch?

I wouldn't expect a dust bunny on the sensor to be noticeable when reviewing images on the LCD.

cymroDan
20 Jul 2012 - 12:12 PM

Thanks all for the feedback Smile I didn't expect it to be dust on the sensor because I've been pretty cautious when changing lenses, but then... dust does get every bloody where doesnt it! Thanks about the sensor dust more visible when stopped down comment too, that helps it make more sense to me.

I think I'll get one of those rocket blowers you guys are mentioning and give that a go. Thanks again, any further comments are welcome still.

NikLG
NikLG  91736 forum posts England
20 Jul 2012 - 1:50 PM

You'll get particles in your camera body even if you leave the same lens on all the time, especially if it's a telephoto lens. Every time you zoom in and out you'll be sucking in crap which may find it's way to the sensor cover, which ( I think ) is statically charged to boot.....which will attract even more bits of rubbish....

cymroDan
27 Jul 2012 - 4:13 PM

Bought me a rocket blower today, was last minute as I'm off to a friend's wedding in Ireland at 5a.m tomorrow, so got one from jessops. Going to give it a go tonight.

just to outline my plan:
1) in the menu go to mirror lock up for cleaning, and press shutter to lock mirror
2) remove the lens
3) hold the camera above me, so the mount is facing the floor (so any dislodged dirt hopefully false out). Aim my phones torch up into the body to help see what I'm doing.
4) position the rocket blower around 1cm away from the sensor, and sharply squeeze the rocket. Repeat this over all effected areas.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139497 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2012 - 4:14 PM

Plan sounds OK. Good luck. Smile

cymroDan
7 Aug 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hi all. Alright, so I bought a rockt blower, and used it to dislodge a lot of the dust. I no longer notice the patches on my images, which is a good thing. HOWEVER, the state of my sensor isn't very healthy, the particles that were blown off seem to have left some residue/marks. Here is a picture I took with my phone to hopefully illustrate this:
imag0127.jpg

You should see a small dot on the bottom left, and then a few marks in the center towards the bottom.

Now, I've not tried touching the sensor at all, all I've used is that blower thing. It looks quite messy though. My thoughts now are I either buy some of those swab things people have been talking about, or someone mentioned something about nikon cleaning the sensor once under warranty? Any advice or recommendations about which choice to make? Part of me has a feeling that nikon don't like it if you try to clean your own sensor - is there any truth in this?

Thanks for your time, and have a nice day all!

mikehit
mikehit  56540 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
7 Aug 2012 - 11:10 PM

My next move would be to try a lenspen - I had some resistant greasy-type marks on my 30D sensor and it worked perfectly. I was concerned about moving the sensor but it seems to be well secured (in fact it does seem to be on a spongy mount which kinda makes sense)

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2012 - 12:01 AM

I would not use a lens pen, you have no idea on what dirt could be on the pen. Some pec pads and two small drops of Eclipse cleaning fluid (check for the correct one to match your sensor) and it will clean it better. Or take it to a good camera shop. In fact thinking about it, take it to a Nikon dealer, as if its a defect in a coating on the sensor filter its best they deal with it. It does look like you have touched it with something though.

Last Modified By strawman at 8 Aug 2012 - 12:03 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
cymroDan
8 Aug 2012 - 9:13 AM

The only time I've ever locked up the mirror to access the sensor was to use that rocket blower, and I'm pretty sure I didn't accidentally joust the sensor. I was holding it above me and using the blower, but I didnt lose my grip or anything.

Nikon dealers, are there local ones scattered that you can drop by, or is it a postage job? What would I be expected to pay for them to clean it? I'd rather not do it myself yet, incase there was something wrong with it at purchase and Nikon may blame me if I had tried cleaning it manually first.

thanks

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.