Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Database program to Organize Digital Photographs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    liparig
    liparig  10233 forum posts United States
    11 Oct 2005 - 10:15 AM

Can anyone recommend a database type program to organize my digital photography, I have thousands of pictures on both my computer and CD's but often find it hard to find the picture I am looking for. I need a program that I can enter something like "California" and I will see all the thumnails of california picture I took and tell me where they are ocated on my computer or on a CD (CD #123 etc)

So far I found IMatch has anyone used this ? What do you think?

Thank you
    Joe

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Oct 2005 - 10:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2005 - 10:30 AM

There is quite a lot of choice depending on your requirements and budget.A few programmes worth checking out are Extensis Portfolio, i-view media pro, i-match, to name just a few.

Can't recommend a specific one from first hand experience as I'm still evaluating them myself,however Extensis Portfolio is a very popular choice,not the cheapest around,but very capable.

Justin.

loweskid
    loweskid  132042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2005 - 10:30 AM

iMatch will do exactly what you want. You have assign categories first, which can be a bit tedious, but I did all mine in a few evenings (about 5000 images). You can also mix categories, so if you have hundreds of images assigned to 'California' and hundreds more of 'sunsets' you can search on 'california+sunsets' and it will list just those sunsets taken in California.

I tried a few database programs (but not them all of course) when I was trying to decide which to use and iMatch was the only one I found which filled all my criteria, which included being able to read Paint Shop Pro files.

daveq
    daveq  8
    11 Oct 2005 - 10:34 AM

Are you using Windows, Mac, Linux or what?

If you use Windows try Picasa from Google, it will pick up every image file on your computer and sort by date, display thumbnails, etc. Don't know if it will search by name but it is free.

http://www.google.co.uk/downloads/

liparig
    liparig  10233 forum posts United States
    11 Oct 2005 - 10:39 AM

I am using Windows XP operting System.

Thank for the responses so far I am going to evaluate all the programs suggested
    thank you
    Joe

celestun
    celestun e2 Member 1029 forum postscelestun vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2005 - 11:10 AM

Photoshop Adobe Bridge CS2 has keyword entry which can be easily set up to your personal needs. The keywords are then embedded into your image files and can be retrieved from anywhere on your computer with a simple search combining any number of details from location, size, date, title, keywords etc.

A cheaper version is Graphic Converter which is faster only a little trickier to get the hang of.

Hope that helps!

Tim

philwig
    philwig  9817 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2005 - 11:59 AM

I use CS2 to do that. Manages raw files, IPTC support, all that stuff. I don't think it's got explicit support for "offline volumes" (eg cds), so it doesn't meet your requirement there.

You might want to check the storage costs of hard disks these days though; I gave up on CDs once the price of hard drives for very large amounts of data became reasonable.

finste
    finste  926 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Oct 2005 - 12:36 PM

Adobe PhotoAlbum is quite good. There is a free starter version and a 'Pro' version. I've found the 'Pro' version (39UKP) quite good but I have less than 400 digital images to deal with. I can't therefore vouch for its performance with large numbers of files.

Starter Edition

Regards

Sabreur
    Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
    11 Oct 2005 - 12:43 PM

Just checked the help files in PS Elements, and that can deal with CDs/DVDs as you want it to. It reads the CD, create thumbnails of the images and then you assign a name to the CD. When you want to edit a photo, it asks for the specific CD. (I think that most of the functionality from PhotoAlbum was built into Elements when version 3 was released)

I would imagine that CS2 can do the same thing.

iansamuel
    iansamuel  10271 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Oct 2005 - 2:20 PM

I just keep my photos in organised folders in windows explorer. Folder for the year, then subfolders for each month, then folder of pics from each outing. I guess it helps if you know when you did stuff.

deviant
    deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2005 - 2:24 PM

Extensis Portfollio does the lot. Keeps it all in very fast database too. Syncs folders, makes web pages, catalogues disks, CD's DVD's. Keywords and searches are doddle also. You name it it does it when it comes to cataloging.

ellis rowell
    11 Oct 2005 - 2:25 PM

I do the same, folder for the year then folder for the date, on an external HDD. Thats for all the original pictures, they can then be copied to other directories and edited/renamed.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.