Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Day 08 Nov 2010: Photographing leaves in Ice

Advertisement

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
8 Nov 2010 12:01AM
Today we show you how to freeze leaves in ice and then photograph them. It's a great time of year to gather some leaves and try this technique. Please have a go and post your efforts here soon.

If you're new to Photo Month you can find out more about it in the what is Photo Month forum .

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 8:16AM
I am very impressed with the simple but highly effective and aesthetic ideas that the good folk of epz come out with eg. leaves in ice and drops of olive oil on water; brilliant stuff! As well as being highly creative they don't involve massive expenditure in equipment or travelling many 000's of miles; they can be done indoors in the comfort of home without braving the elements; now to freeze some leaves Grin

Peter Grin
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
8 Nov 2010 9:45AM
totally agree, Peter......leaf in freezer this minute...will upload later Smile
akh e2
10 1.1k 5 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 9:50AM
Here's some I did earlier.

061127-075a.jpg

and

061127-072.jpg

Tony
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
8 Nov 2010 9:51AM
Glad you're enjoying. It's surprising how much work goes into getting these up daily. It's good to hear the work is appreciated from a few Smile
It's also odd and disappointing that only a few do get involved though...loads of challenges, different ideas, lots of inspiration to get you all moving and taking pictures of everyday subjects. What do we need to do to see more activity in these challenges? Is the format wrong? Are the subjects too hard? Is the concept misuunderstood? One thing you do not have to do them on the day.

Some are themed to the day like fireworks, but most can be done days, weeks or even months later.

If you've missed the themes check back on the monthly calendar pages . We've added hundreds of ideas for you to try throughout the year since we started in March.
CathyI e2
10 344 3 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 10:14AM
I think it's a great idea too Pete, but for me the big issue is time and I'm sure I'm not the only one with that problem! As a case in point, I have coincidentally had some leaves in the freezer for a few weeks already now and still haven't had a chance to shoot them… I have to admit that I'd not really thought to upload anything after the date, but should I get a chance to photograph the contents of my freezer in the near future, I'll try and get round to adding them here…
Lynx08 e2
6 1.2k England
8 Nov 2010 12:26PM
I like that idea, will have a go this week, but not tonight as the Monday Night Challenge keeps me busy on a Monday! Always good to pick up new ideas to try but I agree with Cathy, time is a factor, working all week and only getting a couple of hours at home on Mon-Fri means most of free time is on the weekend when other "chores" have to be done too!!

I'll post something later this week hopefully.

Lyn
Like other people I don't have the time every day. Also I have not been inspired by the recent suggestions (not the type of photography that excite me). JNC
Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 12:52PM
Pete - from my point of view I would love to get involved with the challenges. However, I just don't seem to find the time for anything photo related at the moment!! Maybe its a sign I should make some time . . . . .
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 1:23PM
at least ideas give people ideas if you get what I mean .... people are busy and lack time however each idea sits in the sub-conscious somewhere ready to spring into action at a later date; anyway my leaves are in the freezer ready to spring out.
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
8 Nov 2010 1:33PM
here we go.....a couple of hours in the freezer...not a great selection of leaf, but best I could get in the time
dsc-4867-1.jpg

and

dsc-4868-1.jpg

although I haven't participated in all of the ideas, I dip in now and again. I find it a great inspiration.

As with all these new concepts I think you will only hit a small proportion but inspiring members is part of the package and keeps the site up to date and relevant. Not convinced the title, `photo month', actually describes what you aim to achieve...perhaps `Tip of the Day' or `Daily Techniques' might be more appropriate.....perhaps you could offer this as an intro...e.g. an email request delivered to your inbox each day? I sign up to loads of newsletters but rarely visit the sites...sometimes it takes a trigger to grab people's attention... Smile
8 Nov 2010 6:40PM
Like most of the others I work full time & have other calls on my time Sad I enjoy the challenges though I must admit I thought they had to be done on the day! As a relative novice I find the tips useful & thought provoking too.
Keep it up and the 'usual suspects' hope to be joined by many more !! Tongue
Eviscera e2
8 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 10:10PM
leaf.jpg

Tbh Pete , its a bit like posting to obscurity. The daily idea is great and the tech help inspiring.

But when its done , its done.

How about killing off the "best of gallery" , most of the images are so old anyway , and replacing it with a "best of tutorial" gallery. You could chose to plop in the best of the weeks entries whatever the theme was.

Incentive and spring cleaning Smile
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
8 Nov 2010 10:20PM
I must admit that I'd have bunged a leaf in the freezer this evening but there were two problems - one by the time I was coming home it was dark and I felt less than inclined to rummage through wet leaves looking for a nice one and also I have a wooden man in a bag of water taking up the only space in the freezer.

That said, I'll keep an eye out for some nice leaf specimens tomorrow....
TrevW 5 117 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2010 12:44PM

Quote: One thing you do not have to do them on the day.

That's answered my question Smile I managed to find a decent leaf, make space in the freezer (don't tell the missus!) pinch a dish, filled it with water and put the leaf in. This was after I got home from work. By the time all is ready, it was too late to do anything. I'm hoping to find time tonight and if I can produce anything half decent, I'll post em up.

This frozen leaf idea has inspired me with other ideas that I might try later so these topics are not wasted.

I'll be watching these topics with interest, and hope to take part more, but like others have said, time is the enemy.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.