Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dead British Troops Treated as Freight

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ray1
ray1  10518 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2009 - 9:17 PM

The bodies of the soldiers Murdered in Northern Ireland were flown home without ceremony. This has angered members of HM Forces: "British troops have spoken of their anger following the disclosure that the bodies of the two soldiers murdered by dissident republicans were shipped back to the UK as freight."

"We have been told that the soldiers were not allowed to have a ramp service because of political reasons. We were told the Government didn't want anything that would look like the Troubles had restarted.

"As far as we are concerned these soldiers were shot dead in uniform by terrorists and they should be treated in exactly the same way as if they were killed in Afghanistan. To send their bodies back to the UK as freight is outrageous."

When a person joins any branch of HM Forces they are effectively on duty 24/7/365.

The Government are asked to review the crass rules that allowed this to happen.

The Government are further requested to amend the rules on Ramp Ceremonies.

The petition can be found here link

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Apr 2009 - 9:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

boony
boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2009 - 9:22 PM

this so tragic for the families involved its criminal. ive neevr understood why people join the army but those that do deserve so much more than they get in general from this governement is appauling. they should be literally be willing to eat their shi*t in return for what they do. petetion signed

Plossl
Plossl  7147 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Apr 2009 - 9:36 PM

As an ex member of HM Forces I think somebody should be hauled over the coals for this I too have signed the petition

Sland
Sland  7225 forum posts Scotland
2 Apr 2009 - 9:48 PM

I too am ex services. However, my understanding is that the bodies were handed over to the families prior to being taken home and that it was not the MoD at fault.

However, I also know not to believe everything I read (unless it is an april fool) and consequently my info could be a bit wrong.

User_Removed
2 Apr 2009 - 10:29 PM

And me... 23yrs in the Royal Air Force - and if this is a true report, then I am disgusted. I have signed the petition also.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2009 - 10:54 PM

Disgraceful...! Signed, Signatures over 6000 and rising.......!!!

What are they thinking of.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014927 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2009 - 11:02 PM

It's damn good to see you backing the troops, it really looks good. You have my sympathies, as do the families and friends of the troops. It's very sad.

peterkin
peterkin  11619 forum posts England
2 Apr 2009 - 11:07 PM

Signed.

Peter

SimplySimon
2 Apr 2009 - 11:29 PM

signed. simon

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2009 - 11:38 AM

If the facts are true then I too am horrified. Whatever one thinks of war or conflict, military deaths should be treated with dignity and respect. And by the same standard, so should non-military deaths.

Politics apart, the armed forces make a unique promise - to protect their country and their loved ones even if they lose their lives in doing so. The promises they make shouldn't be squandered or treated lightly. (OK so that last bit IS political).

SuziBlue
3 Apr 2009 - 12:00 PM

Here's the Telegraph report of the story. To say they were off duty is insulting.

Telegraph story

keith selmes
3 Apr 2009 - 1:07 PM

There is some fairly heated discussion over at ARRSSE
(Army Rumour Service), with a bit of inside info.

SuziBlue
3 Apr 2009 - 1:26 PM

Hmmm .. interesting perspectives from everyone on that thread. It seems as though the two men's deaths were marked both in NI and in London - it's the freight bit that rankles with a lot of people. Wrapping someone in hermetically sealed coverings and bubble wrap and putting them in the hold of a commercial airline like luggage - well I'd get pretty upset if that was a relative of mine. Couldn't they spare a chopper or even a military plane?

Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
3 Apr 2009 - 1:37 PM

Thats the way dead bodies arrive home all the time, as freight on commercial airliners. Done by funeral directors every day Sad well maybe not everyday.

Last Modified By Bellie at 3 Apr 2009 - 1:38 PM
Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
3 Apr 2009 - 1:43 PM

But as for this case. As forces personnel I would have expected though that they could have gone to an RAF base by military transport at the very least.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.