Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dead external hard drive

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    maroondah
    maroondah  11239 forum posts Australia1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 4:35 PM

Hi everyone,

I won't wear you out with all the details but needless to say some advice is urgently needed. I have been using a Toshiba external hard drive to transfer my images to. Once I had the images all together I was going to back them up on discs and another external hard drive. I never got the chance to finish it as the drive appears to be dead. My wife took it into our local PC repairs who said that the drive couldn't be read as the needle (not sure thats exactly right) wasn't making contact with the drive itself. They were unable to undertake any repair but said they could send it off but the cost of data recovery would be about 700.
    Now all this may be true but any advice about data recovery from dead drives would be more than welcome, even if its all bad news I still need to know.

Thanks
    GerrySad

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Oct 2011 - 4:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022004 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 5:04 PM

It all depends upon the nature of the failure. Sometimes it is just the interface electronics so you can just remove it from the external drive box and plug it into another. Sometimes it is a mechanical failure, sounds like yours is the latter. Do a search on the web for companies that offer to recover lost data it will not be inexpensive.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 6:24 PM

Give this company a call........Grin

They have done work for me in the recent past, Not only are they very good, They don't charge a fortune like so many get rich quick merchants.

They do a very fast turnaround too, Highly recommended.....Smile

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 6:32 PM

I don't know what they meant.
    But could you get the hard drive out of its casing, buy a USB docks like Icy Box IB-110StUS2-B Docking Station ?

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 6:55 PM

"who said that the drive couldn't be read as the needle (not sure thats exactly right) wasn't making contact with the drive itself"
    This refers to the reading head that skims above the platters (discs) inside that reads and writes data. its nto supposed to touch the disc anyways!! blimey. if it does you have a "head slap" which will very much damage the platters and your data. i should think you actually have a dead power board unless you have dropped the drive or kicked it. some shops have no idea i tell ya! i would try the suggestion by Coleslaw first before anything.

Logic says" if the needle isnt makeing contact" how are you supposed to retreive the data??
    unless you undo all the screws. void the warranty and then "repiar the reading head" of which u need a microscope for. oh how do i know.... I worked for Maxtor and built and tested hard drives for a living.

Last Modified By mohikan22 at 20 Oct 2011 - 7:04 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    mohikan22
    mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 7:06 PM

ah another wee helpful suggestion to give you a head start....... u need a quiet room or your ear as close to the hard drive as possible. make sure your pc is running. now plug inteh hard drive and LISTEN... it will spin up or it wont. itll click or it wont.. if none of these the POWER is dead. if it spins up or clicks at least you have power and can go from there. probably not too much help but its a start
    Matt.

maroondah
    maroondah  11239 forum posts Australia1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 8:33 PM

Thanks everyone. Great advice.
    Cheers
    Gerry

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 51178 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 11:30 PM

Is this the Toshiba with the pretty blue light that lets you know it is alive? I've got that one and had a problem with the lead going into the plug. If it is kinked then the ext drive won't power up. Had my heart racing a bit when I thought it had died! Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.