Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dealers hiking up prices?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    filmforever
    3 Feb 2011 - 8:50 PM

Looking at secondhand camera prices recently, (particularly film models) both online and in AP, I've noticed a tendency for some dealers to hike up their prices from one month to the next. For instance one dealer advertising a Yashica 124G in near mint condition one week for 245, wanted 275 the following week.
    Recently I purchased a s/h Nikon FM2n described as ExcXX for 199, from Ffordes (a dealer who's prices always seem reasonable). Yet some dealers are advertising the same model in worse condition for nearly 100 more!!

Is there a campaign afoot, I wonder, to artificially convert some cameras into "classics", in order to attract collectors rather than photographers?

We've all seen this happen to Leica "M" prices; anything in decent condition seems to merit close to a four figure sum. And Rolleiflex prices (when you can find them in decent condition) have rocketed.

Obviously to a certain extent, as cameras become discontinued and harder to find in good condition, then prices go up, but you can't help the feeling that some dealers are accelerating the process.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Feb 2011 - 8:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314811 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2011 - 8:57 PM

Quote: Obviously to a certain extent, as cameras become discontinued and harder to find in good condition, then prices go up, but you can't help the feeling that some dealers are accelerating the process

It happens, and the often exaggerated prices on EBay don`t help Sad

User_Removed
    3 Feb 2011 - 9:01 PM

Quote: Is there a campaign afoot, I wonder, to artificially convert some cameras into "classics", in order to attract collectors rather than photographers?

How? What are the lines of communication 'twixt these nefarious scoundrels?

Sure - camera dealers talk to each other. Fact. I have friends in the photographic industry but, there is no 'plot afoot' to hike prices.

At the end of the day it's simple market forces - 'Supply - and... Demand'

Oh! (I nearly forgot Grin))

There a 'Recession' going on.

Wink

Snapper
    Snapper  93691 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2011 - 9:01 PM

I think there is a growing trend for those brought up on digital to want to try film just to see what it is like. When they ask around on a Forum they'll generally be told of a handful of cameras that are worth getting, including the FM2, and they'll start bidding and buying on the auction site. If the prices start to shift upwards on there, the dealers won't be far behind.

The other thing is that film shooters themselves are tending to go for a repairable manual camera like the ones you've mentioned to use in the long term, but they'll also have an electronic one which they use until it goes belly up and then they'll just bin it.

User_Removed
    3 Feb 2011 - 9:05 PM

Quote: If the prices start to shift upwards on there, the dealers won't be far behind.

Oh! YUS!! (It's called 'Business')

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Feb 2011 - 9:05 PM
    filmforever
    3 Feb 2011 - 9:40 PM

There's one dealer in Camden Town who has a regular page ad. in AP, his prices for s/h gear are so way over the top, I don't know how he survives.

User_Removed
    3 Feb 2011 - 10:07 PM

Quote: I don't know how he survives.

But....

He is!

Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.