Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Decent Portrait Camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2014 - 9:22 PM

For portraits I would not be so quick to dismiss the thought of a 5D. OK it is old but it does have the full frame sensor size and that does give more options for exploring low depth of field should the person want to. I have no doubt that modern sensor technology means that any of the modern crop sensor cameras or m4/3 cameras will produce just as good or perhaps better results with respect to noise. A lot of wedding and portrait photographers used the 5D a few years back so it would be ridiculous to say it is not a valid option.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Feb 2014 - 9:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2014 - 12:38 AM

I`m not so sure a 5D would be a good choice John, unless you can find a nice one recently serviced, selling with at least a few months warranty, most will be way past there best I should imagine.

andicbair
5 Feb 2014 - 2:26 AM

Portraits- I would look for a camera with a wide max aperture, as some have suggested. Also, a good viewfinder would be helpful. Depth-of-field preview is something people look for, but personally, I am not a big fan. Fuji X series provide a good viewfinder- some with the hybrid kind so you can switch between optical and electronic. I found that very useful for different conditions when I want to preview. Other than that, think portraits are very taste dependent- if you are really into it, the shape of the aperture also matters for bokeh. You might want to search using features at a site like traitmix.com to find out what's available. Yes, and I would look for a wide set of choices regarding autofocal modes and manual focus.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.