Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Decent Portrait Camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022001 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2014 - 9:22 PM

For portraits I would not be so quick to dismiss the thought of a 5D. OK it is old but it does have the full frame sensor size and that does give more options for exploring low depth of field should the person want to. I have no doubt that modern sensor technology means that any of the modern crop sensor cameras or m4/3 cameras will produce just as good or perhaps better results with respect to noise. A lot of wedding and portrait photographers used the 5D a few years back so it would be ridiculous to say it is not a valid option.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Feb 2014 - 9:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314911 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2014 - 12:38 AM

I`m not so sure a 5D would be a good choice John, unless you can find a nice one recently serviced, selling with at least a few months warranty, most will be way past there best I should imagine.

andicbair
5 Feb 2014 - 2:26 AM

Portraits- I would look for a camera with a wide max aperture, as some have suggested. Also, a good viewfinder would be helpful. Depth-of-field preview is something people look for, but personally, I am not a big fan. Fuji X series provide a good viewfinder- some with the hybrid kind so you can switch between optical and electronic. I found that very useful for different conditions when I want to preview. Other than that, think portraits are very taste dependent- if you are really into it, the shape of the aperture also matters for bokeh. You might want to search using features at a site like traitmix.com to find out what's available. Yes, and I would look for a wide set of choices regarding autofocal modes and manual focus.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.