Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Decisions...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Keith-Mckevitt
    4 Dec 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hi all.
    I would like to buy a small camera as a small and lightweight alternative to my Canon eos 5d mk2 whilst retaining a decent image quality. It would be for occasions where the 5d is a bit big and heavy and as such would not be a replacement for the 5d.
    The contenders are:
    1...Panasonic Lumix GX1 (with free EVF).
    2...Olympus EPL5
    3...Canon eos M
    4...Canon G12 (If I can still find one).
    I know it would make sense to buy the Canon M as my lenses etc would fit it via an adapter but maybe this defeats the object of buying a smaller and lighter alternative?
    Weight is an issue as well as size.
    I have handled them all but now have a headache trying to decide so I would be grateful for any pros or cons you may be able to offer.

Many thanks
    regards
    Keith

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Dec 2012 - 10:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45757 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:14 PM

I have the GX1 and think it is a great little camera. But if you choose to use any of your Canon lenses (a good example being the 100mm macro if you have it) you will lose IS. The EPL5 has in-body IS so you will get some benefit from that. But as you suggest, how big a consideration would that be considering you want to create a smaller alternative.
    I prefer the ergonomics of the GX1 compared to the Olympus but as ever that is a personal preference.

Regards the G12 - the Canon S95 has the same sensor as the G series and is genuinly trouser- or shirt-pocketable. The G12 is more like jacket-pocketable.
    I have not tried the EOS M but reception seems to be muted and lens options are limited whereas the MFTs have some excellent lenses in their ranges.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214380 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2012 - 1:06 AM

What kind of focal length coverage are you looking for.

crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6675 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2012 - 9:49 AM

I recently purchased a Canon G12 as that, and it's predecessor the G11, seem to be the second camera of choice for many of the members at my camera club. I haven't explored everything it capable of yet but it does seem to cover most of the functions I am used to on my Nikon D7000. The only exception I have found so far is very long exposure, with a max of 15 seconds. Well pleased with my purchase.

Steppenwolf
    5 Dec 2012 - 10:12 AM

I was recently looking for a smaller, lighter alternative to my Sony A77. I was thinking of the Sony NEX-6 but when I saw that the Nikon V1 (plus 10-30) was discounted to £283 (incl case and 2 year warranty) on WEX it seemed too good a bargain to pass up. So I bought one and I can highly recommend it. The main criticism of this camera when it was released was that the interface lacked a PASM dial, which has been put right in the V2. However it's not that much of an issue, and most of the other niggles with it have been rectified by 5 firmware updates. It fits into a coat pocket and the image quality is excellent. It also has some interesting features such as slow motion video (it shoots at 400fps and plays back at 30fps) and 60fps full definition stills photography - it's got some seriously fast processing kit inside it and a huge in-camera memory buffer, plus a shutter that goes up to 1/16000 sec. Definitely a bargain.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214380 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2012 - 8:22 PM

What kind of budget are you looking at.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2012 - 8:48 PM

I can't think of many occasions where I thought 1/16000 sec would be useful....

i used to have a camera that only went to 1/1000, but that and 1/500 had a tapering shutter so I never used those speeds. I can honestly say I never had to go over 1/250 with it. The chances of using that sort of speed are very few and far between.

Nick

Paul Morgan
    6 Dec 2012 - 1:22 AM

Quote: I can't think of many occasions where I thought 1/16000 sec would be useful....

Is the shutter actually moving at that speed or does it remain open and use some other form of trickery Smile

Steppenwolf
    6 Dec 2012 - 8:47 AM

Quote: I can't think of many occasions where I thought 1/16000 sec would be useful....

Is the shutter actually moving at that speed or does it remain open and use some other form of trickery Smile

It's got two shutters - the faster speeds use the electronic shutter. I guess the 1/16000 sec comes in handy if the camera's shooting at 400 fps.

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45757 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Dec 2012 - 9:23 AM

Oh, you mean in movie mode..? Wink

Keith-Mckevitt

Hi all, many thanks for all the useful input. The Panasonic GX1 looks quite good and has many deals and cashback with WEX. It has a free EVF and deals on extra lenses too so I may go for this one unless anyone has had a particularly bad experience with the GX1
    Many thanks
    Keith

Paul Morgan
    6 Dec 2012 - 1:57 PM

There`s a whole load of deals on the EPM2 as well, the pens have a few advantages over the Panasonics Smile

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/olympus_pen_1-2-3_offer/

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.