Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Decline in number of "votes" and comments

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

DonSchaeffer
30 May 2007 - 5:37 AM

I never had a lot of comments and endorsements, but it seems that since the new format of the photo section was introduced the number has been drastically reduced. Am I whistlin dixie or is there something to my observation?

I am feeling less interested in posting if no one is noting my work.

Last Modified By DonSchaeffer at 30 May 2007 - 5:38 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 May 2007 - 5:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NevP
NevP  8853 forum posts Canada13 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 6:08 AM

I think that this is something a number are noticing - maybe I've seen a thread on this? I can't speak for anyone else but mine have reduced.

rangerpaul
30 May 2007 - 6:53 AM

Good point. Have you noticed that some sites that do get lots of votes are being voted for by the same people. Almost as if little groups form, possibly from epz meets, and it's a sort of Eurovision mentality. "It's not very good but seeing as your my neighbour here's a click".
I joined this site because someone said it was the best one for constructive comment but now I'm not so sure having seen all the supersaturated stuff get raved about and some belting mono or macro stuff go completely unnoticed.
Paul

Slaterm
Slaterm  8496 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 7:20 AM

one of the problems is the volumes of pictures posted to the gallery. Shots are being buried quicker and due to slightly slower site speed less people have the patience to wade through 20 pages or more of shots.

Best bet is to ask togs whose work you like for some crits by pm if you aren't getting help through gallery

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 7:31 AM

The other thing to consider is that as we've grown we've introduced new sections, so now there's not just a standard gallery, but also a critique section and a challenge gallery that splits the activity. Also those who comment on pics tend to get more comments back, so it pay to be active yourself.

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101453 forum postsdark_lord vcard England123 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 7:49 AM

There does seem to be less Don, though the forum seems as active as ever. Of course, this time of year doesn't help, people off on holiday or out taking pictures so they won't be online.There is a lot more to the site now so activity is spread more thinly. If I grab an hour on here, it's not always in the gallery for the whole time.
I also agree with Paul, there are some great images that get overlooked.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 7:55 AM

Quote: Best bet is to ask togs whose work you like for some crits by pm if you aren't getting help through gallery

And that's another reason why the site looks less active, because we now have more than 200,000 PMs been made. Judging by the messages I get I imagine a lot of the PMs could have been said in the forums and galleries and created much more debate interactivity.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 8:08 AM

Quote: so it pay to be active yourself.

" Absolutely right "

And not just because Pete is the boss, From my own observations over the last few months or more, The site has grown in size and input, As has been mentioned your upload can on a busy day be 20 pages deep, The time it takes to go back 20 pages can vary considerably when the site is under load OR your ISP netwrok is under load, Especially during peak times, When some of them throttle back the bandwdth to cope.

I do not advocate the click for a click syndrome, As this would/Does lead to misleading results, However getting about and viewing other members work, And time permitting making a comment ( Good-Bad-Or Indifferent ) Will almost certainly attract views and or comments on your own work, EVEN if it's 20 or 30 pages deep, OR for that matter several day's, week's month's old.

In summary I have many images that would have been lost in the tide of daily uploads, Which have been viewed & commented on sometimes day's after being uploaded.

So get busy people and try to be objective Smile

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: One of the problems is the volumes of pictures posted to the gallery. Shots are being buried quicker and due to slightly slower site speed less people have the patience to wade through 20 pages or more of shots.

Good point... posted a pic yesterday evening... when it disappeared from the first page, it had exactly gathered 1 view. Probably my mother-in-law, and she didn't even click it Sad
Needless to say I deleted it. Can live with a pic sinking - based on views on the large version, but won't let it sink based on the fact that nobody cares to open the thumbnail and actually view the photo. But that was rather an exception. most uploads get their views/comments/clicks, allthough it seems to be more and more from always the same people, people that seem to have me in their favs rather than people picking up on a photo by browsing the gallery.

Pete
30 May 2007 - 8:38 AM

So how do we improve things?
The site is busy. We had the highest ever visitor record broken yesterday evening.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 8:38 AM

The big point about commenting on the work of others is that you effectively give other people a lasting shortcut to your pf - and therefore your latest image - so it cuts down the time spent wading through loads of images in the main gallery.

Last Modified By joolsb at 30 May 2007 - 8:38 AM
Slaterm
Slaterm  8496 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 8:42 AM

views are down but that isn't a bad thing. Perhaps we were doing too well with average shots before. Smile I now value a RC more than I did 3 months ago

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: So how do we improve things?
The site is busy. We had the highest ever visitor record broken yesterday evening

bwah... err... well... ahum... you know... I was really just kinda hoping that I could do the moaning and whining bit, without really having to add something constructive or to be actually helpfull Smile

People have to realize that just uploading a photo generally isn't enough, and if everybody just uploads but doesn't really take the time to comment anymore, the site is full with pictures but basically dead. So Vince's advice seems sound : So get busy people and try to be objective. The second part being just as important as the first. But how you get people to get busy and stay objective I'll cowardly leave to you Smile

mrswebber
mrswebber  7104 forum posts
30 May 2007 - 9:19 AM

I find it difficult to make comments, as I know nothing about photography. I wouldn't really know if a picture is good, I would only know if I like it. So I really do feel unqualified.
Maybe othere novices feel the same way.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 9:23 AM

Quote: But how you get people to get busy and stay objective

You might get them busy by encouraging them to do so, but the idea that you can get people objective is a utopic one, I'm afraid. There is no such thing as an objective person.

And about the comment that quality mono and macro shots aren't getting attention: I think that problem probably increases with the increasing number of members and visitors. The masses have never been known for taste or class. Quality stuff has always only had the interest of minorities. Or at least that's my impression.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.