Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Decline in number of "votes" and comments

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Slaterm
Slaterm  8496 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 9:31 AM

Quote: The masses have never been known for taste or class. Quality stuff has always only had the interest of minorities

thank god for that - I though my shots didn't get a lot of votes because they were bobins. Now I know better Smile lol

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 May 2007 - 9:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 9:34 AM

Glad to help boost your confidence! Wink

ISO400
ISO400  7183 forum posts United Kingdom
30 May 2007 - 9:42 AM

Mary - I'm with you on this one .... I love to look - but because I am a newbie - don't ( as yet ) feel qualified to comment other people's work.

This will change tho' ( i hope ) once my own work improves Wink

conrad
30 May 2007 - 9:51 AM

Quote: because I am a newbie - don't ( as yet ) feel qualified to comment other people's work.

Everyone is qualified to give his opinion, Cai - who, after all, could be more qualified to tell someone what YOU think of his photo? You don't have to be a professional, or even an advanced amateur, to tell someone what you think of the image he's produced. It's easy enough: Just describe what you like and what you don't like, that's all there is to it.

Slaterm
Slaterm  8496 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 9:52 AM

your opinions are as valid as someone who has been taking shots for years. If you like it say what you like and if you don't explain why - but in a positive and constructive way. That is all there is to it really.

EDIT - great minds think alike - poor ones seldom differ Smile

Last Modified By Slaterm at 30 May 2007 - 9:53 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318450 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 9:56 AM

Quote: I am a newbie - don't ( as yet ) feel qualified to comment other people's work.

It's surprising what you can say about a photo that doesn't have to be technical.

Try an experiment. Look at any photo in the gallery...is it light? dark? really detailed? lacking imagination? cliched? original? unusual? Most photos will induce some sort of reaction, whether good or bad. Putting down your reaction in words is often enough to help the photographer improve.

What can and has happened is when the photographer disagrees with your comment and has a go at you. Just ignore the response. If they don't agree it's not an issue just a difference of opinion. If the photographer takes on board your comments fine. Also if you get no reaction don't worry either. Move on to others and share your thoughts with members who appreciate it.

Even if everyone only did this on two or three pics per day the gallery would become much healthier.

mrswebber
mrswebber  7104 forum posts
30 May 2007 - 9:58 AM

crystaltips: I hope my work improves too. I'm not gonna hold my breath though. LOL

PS Just had a look at some of yours and I think they're well done.

aftertherain
30 May 2007 - 10:11 AM

Quote: I never had a lot of comments and endorsements, but it seems that since the new format of the photo section was introduced the number has been drastically reduced.

I have ceratinly noticed a difference.
I'm not sure I like the advice to get out there and vote fish (click and comment).
I've been around this site for a number of years and I place no value at all on 'buddy votes' - last night I left over 100 votes ( known as phantom clicks) but very few comments.
When I get a vote on one of my pictures I know it's because someone likes it enough to vote, not because I voted for their offering.
Sure by 'buddy voting' you get lots of RC's but are they actually worth anything?
Merl

Last Modified By aftertherain at 30 May 2007 - 10:11 AM
CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87281 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 10:16 AM

Agree with Merl.......What your after at the end of the day is constructive criticism . Although its nice to feel that your pic is doing well, lets say, with a number of clicks, its the comments from those in the know that really count.

If a mistake or a way of improving the shot is pointed out it is far more beneficial for me........especially I find with portraits, the eyes, brightness, shadows etc.

Last Modified By CathyT at 30 May 2007 - 10:19 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318450 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

mrswebber hope you don't mind but I've commented in a little more detail on one of your photos to give you an idea of what a more detailed critique is like. And as I mention there, the more you start to look at photos the more you'll feel comfortable in your ability to take a better photo and comment on others.

MediumSizeUnavailable

Pete,

I feel insecure as well

really !

Wink

conrad
30 May 2007 - 10:42 AM

LOL, that reaction had to come from someone! (But not from someone with more than one EC, Koen!)

andytvcams
andytvcams  1210396 forum posts United Kingdom
30 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

This does not help.

Quote: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/ephoto/public_html/libs/php/functions_gallery.php on line 596

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
30 May 2007 - 10:57 AM

Quote: The masses have never been known for taste or class. Quality stuff has always only had the interest of minorities. Or at least that's my impression.

Not sure about that one Conrad though you are probably right in a generalised sort of way. The 'non masses' can sometimes seem to me to be so far up their own arses they can't see the sun for s**t.

I think the site is just so busy that keeping up with things is not easy, especially if you have a busy life.

Pete
30 May 2007 - 11:20 AM

Quote: This does not help.
Quote:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/ephoto/public_html/libs/php/functions_gallery.php on line 596

Andy you seem to have a knack of trying to access a page when a change is being applied, sorry about that. The developers work on a remote database and then upload the tested version to the live site. You have tried to access the page as it's being updated. If you try the same page a couple of seconds later the error will be no more.

There's no need to post the error in the forums each time because it's not really an error just a brief moment in time.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.