Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Decline in number of "votes" and comments

Slaterm 8 496 1 United Kingdom
30 May 2007 9:31AM

Quote:The masses have never been known for taste or class. Quality stuff has always only had the interest of minorities

thank god for that - I though my shots didn't get a lot of votes because they were bobins. Now I know better Smile lol

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad 10 10.9k 116
30 May 2007 9:34AM
Glad to help boost your confidence! Wink
ISO400 7 183 United Kingdom
30 May 2007 9:42AM
Mary - I'm with you on this one .... I love to look - but because I am a newbie - don't ( as yet ) feel qualified to comment other people's work.

This will change tho' ( i hope ) once my own work improves Wink
conrad 10 10.9k 116
30 May 2007 9:51AM

Quote:because I am a newbie - don't ( as yet ) feel qualified to comment other people's work.

Everyone is qualified to give his opinion, Cai - who, after all, could be more qualified to tell someone what YOU think of his photo? You don't have to be a professional, or even an advanced amateur, to tell someone what you think of the image he's produced. It's easy enough: Just describe what you like and what you don't like, that's all there is to it.
Slaterm 8 496 1 United Kingdom
30 May 2007 9:52AM
your opinions are as valid as someone who has been taking shots for years. If you like it say what you like and if you don't explain why - but in a positive and constructive way. That is all there is to it really.

EDIT - great minds think alike - poor ones seldom differ Smile
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
30 May 2007 9:56AM

Quote:I am a newbie - don't ( as yet ) feel qualified to comment other people's work.

It's surprising what you can say about a photo that doesn't have to be technical.

Try an experiment. Look at any photo in the gallery...is it light? dark? really detailed? lacking imagination? cliched? original? unusual? Most photos will induce some sort of reaction, whether good or bad. Putting down your reaction in words is often enough to help the photographer improve.

What can and has happened is when the photographer disagrees with your comment and has a go at you. Just ignore the response. If they don't agree it's not an issue just a difference of opinion. If the photographer takes on board your comments fine. Also if you get no reaction don't worry either. Move on to others and share your thoughts with members who appreciate it.

Even if everyone only did this on two or three pics per day the gallery would become much healthier.
mrswebber 7 104
30 May 2007 9:58AM
crystaltips: I hope my work improves too. I'm not gonna hold my breath though. LOL

PS Just had a look at some of yours and I think they're well done.

Quote:I never had a lot of comments and endorsements, but it seems that since the new format of the photo section was introduced the number has been drastically reduced.

I have ceratinly noticed a difference.
I'm not sure I like the advice to get out there and vote fish (click and comment).
I've been around this site for a number of years and I place no value at all on 'buddy votes' - last night I left over 100 votes ( known as phantom clicks) but very few comments.
When I get a vote on one of my pictures I know it's because someone likes it enough to vote, not because I voted for their offering.
Sure by 'buddy voting' you get lots of RC's but are they actually worth anything?
Merl
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
30 May 2007 10:16AM
Agree with Merl.......What your after at the end of the day is constructive criticism . Although its nice to feel that your pic is doing well, lets say, with a number of clicks, its the comments from those in the know that really count.

If a mistake or a way of improving the shot is pointed out it is far more beneficial for me........especially I find with portraits, the eyes, brightness, shadows etc.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
30 May 2007 10:21AM
mrswebber hope you don't mind but I've commented in a little more detail on one of your photos to give you an idea of what a more detailed critique is like. And as I mention there, the more you start to look at photos the more you'll feel comfortable in your ability to take a better photo and comment on others.
30 May 2007 10:36AM
Pete,

I feel insecure as well

really !

Wink
conrad 10 10.9k 116
30 May 2007 10:42AM
LOL, that reaction had to come from someone! (But not from someone with more than one EC, Koen!)
andytvcams 12 10.4k United Kingdom
30 May 2007 10:52AM
This does not help.

Quote:Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/ephoto/public_html/libs/php/functions_gallery.php on line 596
elowes 10 2.8k United Kingdom
30 May 2007 10:57AM

Quote:The masses have never been known for taste or class. Quality stuff has always only had the interest of minorities. Or at least that's my impression.

Not sure about that one Conrad though you are probably right in a generalised sort of way. The 'non masses' can sometimes seem to me to be so far up their own arses they can't see the sun for s**t.

I think the site is just so busy that keeping up with things is not easy, especially if you have a busy life.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
30 May 2007 11:20AM

Quote:This does not help.
Quote:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/ephoto/public_html/libs/php/functions_gallery.php on line 596

Andy you seem to have a knack of trying to access a page when a change is being applied, sorry about that. The developers work on a remote database and then upload the tested version to the live site. You have tried to access the page as it's being updated. If you try the same page a couple of seconds later the error will be no more.

There's no need to post the error in the forums each time because it's not really an error just a brief moment in time.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.