Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Dedicated camcorders suffer from sensor over heating like still digital cameras?

Fluke e2
7 59 Wales
13 Jul 2012 12:48PM
I need to buy a camcorder for recording lectures that may go one for an hour more Grin, do digital camcorders suffer from the same problem as digital stills cameras with a short maximum length of recording?

thanks in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Jul 2012 12:55PM

Quote:digital stills cameras with a short maximum length of recording?

Stills cameras, sold in the EU, have to have a maximum clip length of under 30 mins. Otherwise, put simply, they attract extra tax. The very same cameras sold in the US do not have this restriction.

I have recorded continuously with digital camcorders for over an hour (concerts etc) without any problems.......... except I have become a bit panicky about the battery on occasion! Wink
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
13 Jul 2012 1:51PM
Would the short recording time of a DSLR even be a problem. Surely it would just be a matter of pressing stop and then straight away pressing record again, then putting the two clips together in post processing. Even the fastest of talkers will eventually stop for a brief moment, giving you all the time you need to beginning recording again. Just a thought, in case you decide to use what you've got, instead of specifically buying a camcorder for the purpose, assuming you already have a DSLR with video capabilities.
Fluke e2
7 59 Wales
13 Jul 2012 1:53PM

Quote:Would the short recording time of a DSLR even be a problem. Surely it would just be a matter of pressing stop and then straight away pressing record again and putting the two clips together in post processing. Even the fastest of talkers will eventually stop for a brief moment, giving you all the time you need to beginning recording again. Just a thought, in case you decide to use what you've got, instead of specifically buying a camcorder for the purpose, assuming you have a DSLR with video capabilities.

budget of less than 200 and I'm not using my equipment for work purposes Smile
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
13 Jul 2012 1:55PM

Quote:and I'm not using my equipment for work purposes

Don't blame you Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Jul 2012 2:00PM
Where are you thinking of placing the camcorder? If at the back of the room, you may find audio quality is disappointing if you rely on the built-in microphone.
Fluke e2
7 59 Wales
13 Jul 2012 2:13PM

Quote:Where are you thinking of placing the camcorder? If at the back of the room, you may find audio quality is disappointing if you rely on the built-in microphone.

near the lecturer - cam pointed at screen
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Jul 2012 2:21PM
That should be OK. I have used one of these in the recent past, on a tripod, with surprisingly decent results.
MikeA e2
10 1.2k England
13 Jul 2012 3:08PM
Why not hire one for the day, If it is a one off event?
13 Jul 2012 6:18PM
canon legria has 32gb memeory built into it
sausage e2
10 288 United Kingdom
14 Jul 2012 12:44PM
I have done these type of events many times. If you are using a small camcorder set it to manual exposure - if you don't and are pointing at the screen, it will play havoc with auto iris.
Sound is always an issue here as well, unless you use a separate mic pointed at the lecturer or at the amp speaker it will sound echoey.

Good luck though.

Peter

Oh and by the way there are no issues with overheating on camcorders - you are only limited by the length of tape or card. Have extra handy!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
14 Jul 2012 12:48PM
Bear in mind Steve's budget is 200.

For that you are not, so far as I know, going to get manual controls or even a mic input... unless you buy second-hand. Even then you'll have to get a mic... and they are not particularly cheap.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.