Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dedicated camcorders suffer from sensor over heating like still digital cameras?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Fluke
    Fluke  659 forum posts Wales
    13 Jul 2012 - 12:48 PM

I need to buy a camcorder for recording lectures that may go one for an hour more Grin, do digital camcorders suffer from the same problem as digital stills cameras with a short maximum length of recording?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Jul 2012 - 12:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 12:55 PM

Quote: digital stills cameras with a short maximum length of recording?

Stills cameras, sold in the EU, have to have a maximum clip length of under 30 mins. Otherwise, put simply, they attract extra tax. The very same cameras sold in the US do not have this restriction.

I have recorded continuously with digital camcorders for over an hour (concerts etc) without any problems.......... except I have become a bit panicky about the battery on occasion! Wink

Last Modified By Carabosse at 13 Jul 2012 - 12:55 PM
    justin c
    justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 1:51 PM

Would the short recording time of a DSLR even be a problem. Surely it would just be a matter of pressing stop and then straight away pressing record again, then putting the two clips together in post processing. Even the fastest of talkers will eventually stop for a brief moment, giving you all the time you need to beginning recording again. Just a thought, in case you decide to use what you've got, instead of specifically buying a camcorder for the purpose, assuming you already have a DSLR with video capabilities.

Last Modified By justin c at 13 Jul 2012 - 1:52 PM
    Fluke
    13 Jul 2012 - 1:53 PM

Quote: Would the short recording time of a DSLR even be a problem. Surely it would just be a matter of pressing stop and then straight away pressing record again and putting the two clips together in post processing. Even the fastest of talkers will eventually stop for a brief moment, giving you all the time you need to beginning recording again. Just a thought, in case you decide to use what you've got, instead of specifically buying a camcorder for the purpose, assuming you have a DSLR with video capabilities.

budget of less than 200 and I'm not using my equipment for work purposes Smile

justin c
    justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 1:55 PM

Quote: and I'm not using my equipment for work purposes

Don't blame you Smile

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 2:00 PM

Where are you thinking of placing the camcorder? If at the back of the room, you may find audio quality is disappointing if you rely on the built-in microphone.

Fluke
    13 Jul 2012 - 2:13 PM

Quote: Where are you thinking of placing the camcorder? If at the back of the room, you may find audio quality is disappointing if you rely on the built-in microphone.

near the lecturer - cam pointed at screen

Carabosse
    13 Jul 2012 - 2:21 PM

That should be OK. I have used one of these in the recent past, on a tripod, with surprisingly decent results.

MikeA
    MikeA  91168 forum posts England
    13 Jul 2012 - 3:08 PM

Why not hire one for the day, If it is a one off event?

robthecamman
    13 Jul 2012 - 6:18 PM

canon legria has 32gb memeory built into it

sausage
    sausage  10234 forum posts United Kingdom
    14 Jul 2012 - 12:44 PM

I have done these type of events many times. If you are using a small camcorder set it to manual exposure - if you don't and are pointing at the screen, it will play havoc with auto iris.
    Sound is always an issue here as well, unless you use a separate mic pointed at the lecturer or at the amp speaker it will sound echoey.

Good luck though.

Peter

Oh and by the way there are no issues with overheating on camcorders - you are only limited by the length of tape or card. Have extra handy!

Last Modified By sausage at 14 Jul 2012 - 12:45 PM
    Carabosse
    14 Jul 2012 - 12:48 PM

Bear in mind Steve's budget is 200.

For that you are not, so far as I know, going to get manual controls or even a mic input... unless you buy second-hand. Even then you'll have to get a mic... and they are not particularly cheap.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.