Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Default setting RGB or CMYK

5 Nov 2010 10:44AM
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question. What is the most common 'default' for colour setting on digital cameras (RGB or CMYK)?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnParminter 7 1.3k 14 England
5 Nov 2010 11:32AM
sRGB at least on all three Nikons I have had.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
5 Nov 2010 11:42AM
Dave I think the default out of the box setting on most (All ?) cameras is sRGB - tho one of the first things I've donwe on the last couple of upgrades is change it to adobeRGB.
John_Frid 8 514 56 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2010 11:46AM
sRGB on my Canon 20D, 50D and G9, and also on my Panasonic TZ(?). Of course I immediately changed them all to Adobe RGB for the wider gamet.
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2010 11:47AM
Digital cameras don't have a CMYK setting. They all use RGB colourspaces. By default they will be most likely set to sRGB. The colourpsace setting doesn't affect RAW files though.
5 Nov 2010 11:48AM
Thanks guys, thats given me the info I need Smile
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
5 Nov 2010 12:15PM
David the only reason we use our CMYK profile is when sending work to printers
photofrenzy 8 424 2 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2010 12:20AM
CMYK is usualy used by the press mainly for newspaper production on printing presses , If you look on the inside of the pages where they are folded you will see the cmyk mark K of course stands for black.

Most profiles for photography are Mainly ADOBE RGB 1998 or sRGB when sending images to Pro labs for printing Wink
thewilliam 6 4.8k
6 Nov 2010 10:48AM
RGB has a much greater gamut - range of colours that can be represented - than CMYK so this is one sound reason for using RGB. It comes in 2 flavours, ARGB has a wider gamut than sRGB, which has a gamut much like film.
7 Nov 2010 10:44PM

Quote:Photofrenzy suggests that CMYK printing is mainly limited to the press for newspaper production. Not at all. Nearly everything you see printed: posters in shop windows, magazines on shelves, leaflets at your bank etc will have been printed using the CMYK process.

Your inkjet printer probably uses Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black cartridges and sophisticated software dithering algorithms to translate colours created from RedGreenBlue (light) into printed colours.

PS I dont recall using the word LIMITED In my original thread, However i used the word Mainly as an example as you can see the colour scale printed clearly on the inside of the newspaper which is something that most of us buy. Most rags (you carnt).
8 Nov 2010 2:24PM

Quote:Photofrenzy suggests that CMYK printing is mainly limited to the press for newspaper production. Not at all. Nearly everything you see printed: posters in shop windows, magazines on shelves, leaflets at your bank etc will have been printed using the CMYK process.

Your inkjet printer probably uses Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black cartridges and sophisticated software dithering algorithms to translate colours created from RedGreenBlue (light) into printed colours.

PS I dont recall using the word LIMITED In my original thread, However i used the word "Mainly" as an example as you can see the colour scale printed clearly on the inside of the newspaper which is something that most of us buy. Most rags (you carnt).

8 Nov 2010 6:48PM
sRGB works best for the internet. aRGB doesn't look as good on the internet, unless maybe somebody is viewing it with a monitor capable of reproducing aRGB and using a browser set up for it.
dcash29 9 2.0k England
8 Nov 2010 8:36PM

Quote:Are you also saying that you used newspapers as an example
I'd say so as they are on view.

Were as on posters leaflets and magazines they get cropped off.

All seems a little hostile over a set of colour bars
thewilliam 6 4.8k
8 Nov 2010 8:54PM
It tends to be the cheaper printed matter that uses just CMYK. High quality work tends to have additional colours as well as CMYK to give an increased gamut.

Take a look at the colour patches on the base a Del Monte orange-juice carton. They use green (for the intense trademark colour) and orange (for the fruit) inks in addition to CMYK. The effort is rewarded when the consumer selects Del Monte because the carton just looks better.

The Epson 7900 printer uses a similar inkset to Del Monte. Some Canon printers have RGB inks as well as CMYK.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2010 6:35AM
Unnecessary remarks removed, please refrain from personal abuse in the forums and discuss the matter in a civil way, thanks.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.