Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Delayed or poor service: Simply Electronics

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gingerdougie
8 Dec 2011 - 4:55 PM

I ordered a lens from Simply Electronics and quite honestly I am starting to get concerned regarding the delay in service. They were quick to extract the money from my account but nearly two weeks later the lens ordered has yet to materialise! Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Dec 2011 - 4:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2011 - 4:59 PM

If you type Simply Electronics into the search box at the top right of the page, you'll see their reputation and poor service is well documented.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2011 - 5:02 PM

dito to justin's comment.

I would rather pay more any day than pay a bunch of usless no good for nothing farse of a company such as Simply crap oops sorry i mean Simply ElectronicsGrin

teepee
teepee  11636 forum posts England
8 Dec 2011 - 5:12 PM

I have just gone through the same ordeal...Money taken on the 17/11/11 and lens turned up on 06/12/11 So just bear with it and hopefully all will be well........(great price though!)Tony

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2011 - 5:24 PM

Sadly Simply Electronics have a very bad track record - if the order goes well it takes time but works; however if anything goes wrong you're in for a lot of hassle and problems getting anything done.
Threads about them crop up from time to time and there is always a bit of a mixed opinion, but nearly always the bad greatly outweighs the good.

mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2011 - 6:01 PM

As far as I know they should not take the money until the lens has been despatched - but I don't know if that is a legal requirement or a code of conduct. You can start by asking them for proof of despatch.

FlashBangPicture

i can't believe they are still in business. They have had a terrible reputation for years, i am truly astonished to hear that they are still around, and, that people are still ordering from them

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2011 - 7:02 PM

Perhaps giving poor service is the key to success as we hear of excellent independent shops fall by the wayside

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2011 - 7:33 PM

People do their research on price; but they do not do their research on the company, which is a huge mistake.

Draig37
Draig37  7248 forum posts Wales
8 Dec 2011 - 8:29 PM

To be honest, I've used them a few times - all the items were delivered in around the 2 weeks or less but I knew they would take that time before I ordered so it didn't worry me considering I was making some decent savings.
We're so used to immediate delivery now that what was a 'normal' delivery (it used to be stated that "goods will be delivered within 28 days" as the norm) before internet days of 14 days was considered quick.
However, I agree that they should only take the money when they post the item, and if other companies can deliver within a few days, why can't they?

Now however, take a look at www.procamerashop.co.uk - these do the same prices - but they deliver within days and I use these now.

Last Modified By Draig37 at 8 Dec 2011 - 8:30 PM
BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2011 - 9:08 PM

i still dont get how you can be on the internet to buy something, but dont type in the name of the company and the word 'review' after it to get a picture of the way the company behaves BEFORE buying anything.

SO many times there are threads saying about buying so and so from so and so, and yet nearly every time, there is a reply (as in this case) that it is well documented and well discussed that they are crap, and that buying from them is problematic at best, and to pay a little more and get it from a reputable dealer is the best option. Sad

User_Removed
8 Dec 2011 - 11:13 PM

Quote: To be honest, I've used them a few times - all the items were delivered in around the 2 weeks or less but I knew they would take that time before I ordered so it didn't worry me considering I was making some decent savings.
We're so used to immediate delivery now that what was a 'normal' delivery (it used to be stated that "goods will be delivered within 28 days" as the norm) before internet days of 14 days was considered quick.
However, I agree that they should only take the money when they post the item, and if other companies can deliver within a few days, why can't they?

Now however, take a look at www.procamerashop.co.uk - these do the same prices - but they deliver within days and I use these now.

Haven't used ProCameraShop myself - but at the camera club last night several members were singing their praises in glowing terms having found their prices extremely keen and their service to their liking.

But I must take issue with Big Rick when he says:

Quote: pay a little more and get it from a reputable dealer is the best option

Sorry, my friend. In my book a retailer that charges "a little bit more" is no more reputable than a retailer who offers "a little bit worse service". What I want is a retailer who sells at the keenest possible price and offers the best possible service. Using that criterion, you may not always come up with the same choice. Some retailers will beat other on price some of the time for some items but be beaten by others at other times or for different items.

The one thing that remains relatively constant is the level of service certain retailers provide. Judging by the positive comments that I have read on this Forum, coupled with my own personal experience, I could draw up a fairly short list of firms that I would be happy to deal with, e.g.:

Amazon
WEX
Park Cameras
ProCamera Shop (based on what I heard last night)
Premier Inks
7-Day Shop

Then, the real task for me, as a prospective buyer, is to find out which of them stock the item I am looking for and then, which of those, offers the keenest price.

What I can't see me doing, ever again, is make any substantial purchase from a rip-off High Street retailer when, generally speaking, keener prices and better service are available online.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Dec 2011 - 11:15 PM
JonH14
JonH14  3
9 Dec 2011 - 7:38 AM

The high street isn't a rip off. We have bills, staff, stock and rent etc. to pay. There are so many people that get drawn in thinking the web is best because it's cheap. All I'd say is support British companies and British jobs.

I recently had a customer try to buy a Canon body from the cheapest place which was on line. 5-6 weeks later they are still trying to contact the company and get their 600 back. Seems it wS a big scam. It was apparantly a 200 saving over a "high street" price. Now it's a 600 loss!! If its too good to be true, it probably is. You would not have that problem from a reputable British retailer! Anyway would you do your job for nothing?

User_Removed
9 Dec 2011 - 8:31 AM

Quote: The high street isn't a rip off. We have bills, staff, stock and rent etc. to pay. There are so many people that get drawn in thinking the web is best because it's cheap. All I'd say is support British companies and British jobs.

Retailers like WEX are British and provide British jobs.

Amazon has just opened a new distribution centre 15 miles from me in Dunfermline employing 1000 people.

Your comment stinks of the same attitude that suggests that "professional photographers" have a "right" to make a living from photography when freelance amateurs can provide the same (or better) photographs less expensively or that a corner shop has the "right" to exist when the public much prefer to use supermarkets.

Why the hell should anyone contribute to a High Street retailer's bills, staff, stock and rent costs when it is an outdated and expensive retail model that has been superseded? This is the 21st Century.

kodachrome
9 Dec 2011 - 9:17 AM

Forget Simply Electronics, I mail ordered a Tamron lens from 'One Stop Digital', it came all the way from Hong Kong and took just 8 days from placing the order and a knock on the door as a recorded delivery. It was even tracked and I was kept up to date about its progress.
Plus it was a good deal cheaper.

Pete

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.