Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Deleting images

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 113685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2004 - 12:01 PM

I've noticed a few popular photographers removing images from their portfolio if they don't get 10+ or 20+ hearts. This really annoys when I've made the effort to comment and so have others.

Thoughts?

Edward

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 May 2004 - 12:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

snowman
snowman  10391 forum posts England
24 May 2004 - 12:33 PM

I have to admit that I considered this idea. Not that I get that many hearts but the principles the same. I decided to leave mine up because as you say people have taken the time and effort to comment.

Clearly you should give me all the hearts cause I appreciate them Grin

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023045 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2004 - 12:34 PM

Must admit, I do remove images from my portfolio, but not because of lack of 'hearts'. When I joined EPZ it was my intention to upload one or two shots, but soon got bitten by it's addictive bug. I delete simply to keep my portfolio from getting out of control and avoid having too many similar shots on the page.

flossie
flossie  111557 forum posts
24 May 2004 - 12:37 PM

I delete a few every so often to make room for new ones ...I don't think there's any need to have pages and pages of pictures.
I keep in my own favourites regardless of the number of clicks.

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101475 forum postsdark_lord vcard England130 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2004 - 12:46 PM

I've only removed a couple, one where there had been no comments at all even after several weeks, and another 'cos I posted an improved version.

warb
warb  10839 forum posts
24 May 2004 - 12:49 PM

I too have to own up to this and apologise to the commentees, though all comments are noted before deleting. I very often look at my portfolio when im in a rather critical mood, same as keithh its not necessarily to do with hearts but more to tidy up, deleting the photos im not happy with which more often than not were put on just for the sake of it without too much thought which niggle me until they are removed.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2004 - 12:54 PM

I too occasionally delete images, but this is when I have had suggestions for improvement and I don't want duplicates in my portfolio. When I replace the original I copy and paste the comments into the new one.

Ian

lordposh
lordposh  1045 forum posts United Kingdom
24 May 2004 - 1:07 PM

I tend to leave all photos on regardless of number of hearts, helps me to see where I can improve, but saying this I have had to delete 1~2 where they have not been clear or have not turned out as I had intended.

Roger

Tony_M
Tony_M  10342 forum posts England
24 May 2004 - 2:25 PM

I'm very thankful for the comments I've received, especially where people have taken time to suggest possible improvements. But I don't think I ought to leave an image in my portfolio just so that other people can see their own comments.
I'm planning to reduce the number of photos in my portfolio soon, though I intend saving the web page - with comments - before doing so.

Tony

kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 113685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2004 - 2:42 PM

I don't have a problem with tidying up - after all we only have one way of managing our portfolios and that's by deleting.

What really annoys me is when:
Someone posts a shot.
It's there for a few days and gets a few hearts.
I go back after leaving a comment to find the shots been deleted.
It's normally in a portfolio of high scoring photos.

Just smacks of vanity to me! I guess I'm just having a rant because it seems to be happening more and more. Recently one of my favourite shots got deleted from someones portfolio. All the other shots on the first page are 25+ and last time I looked the deleted shot had 7 clicks. It was a fantastic shot that scored low because the thumbnail looked uninteresting. I found the shot inspiring and said so. It was a brave shot that I wanted to learn from. The half dozen of us who had commented had all praised the shot, many saying it was better than their normal high standard. But now it's gone, along with our comments because the owner didn't like the low scoring blemish . . .

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
24 May 2004 - 2:45 PM

" though I intend saving the web page - with comments - before doing so."

That's what I did some time back, kept the webpages with the comments and deleted all the photos. I no longer upload, but do read all the forums and everyone else's comments.

Frank

novocastria
24 May 2004 - 2:50 PM

Surely the idea of a portfolio is to showcase ones work and the best judge of what should or shouldn't be in it is the photographer (regardless of the number of comments they receive). Secondly, I post comments as a mark of appreciation of an image, or possibly to offer advice on how an image could be improved. I'm sure everyone values the comments they receive, but that really shouldn't be the measure by which a photo's inclusion in a portfolio should be judged. I have many shots that I value personally that I wouldn't post on the site because I don't believe thay would be interesting enough for other people. By the same score I have images that other people love, yet I'm not happy with the composition etc. and wouldn't post them for the same reason. Make your comments to inspire, inform, entertain and praise - but don't expect to them to be handed down for posterity.

ken j.
ken j.  11372 forum posts
24 May 2004 - 3:04 PM

I agree with Mike - a portfolio should represent the best of one's work, albeit in the eye of the creator.
If the photographer in question maybe felt this particular photo was below his/her usual standards then he/she is surely entitled to remove it.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2004 - 3:09 PM

Ken, I actually think on a site like this it can be good for a portfolio to represent the improvement in the photographers' work. I don't take my earlier shots off because I no longer think they are good enough to be on, they are valid representations of my ability levels at that time and (hopefully) the more recent ones will show an improvement. This can be a boost for new members.

Ian

trahern
trahern  11863 forum posts United Kingdom
24 May 2004 - 3:10 PM

I have to say that I delete pictures from time to time. Firstly to stop the porfolio from becoming unmanageable - I don't see the point of having pages and pages.

Secondly when I'm feeling particularly critical of my own work and think they're all rubbish - not difficult when you look at some of the great work on here.

Sorry if I have ever offended anyone - it's not that I don't appreciate your comments I do, but I for one tend to be very self critical regardless of what others might or might not say.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.