Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Deleting images

kit-monster e2
11 3.7k 2 Singapore
24 May 2004 3:12PM
Ken - If it's their best work in the eye of the creator then number of hearts means nothing. Surely you mean best work in the eye of the majority?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ken j. 11 372
24 May 2004 3:23PM
Edward - What I meant was the creator should be submitting what he considers to be his best work to date.
If others like it then that's a bonus.
The guy you have mentioned maybe genuinely considered this particular pic to be sub-standard.

Ian - I take your point regarding seeing improvement but I think there are very few viewers who would have the time or inclination to trawl through a portfolio of maybe a hundred or more images for that purpose.
seabloke 11 844
24 May 2004 5:24PM
I kill them after a few weeks if they get little response or decide I've gone off them. I don't want hundreds of images online and don't see the point of leaving them up if no-one's that bothered about them.
c_evans99 11 7.0k 1 Wales
24 May 2004 6:08PM
20+ hearts? I don't think I've got that in total Smile I have one that made it over 10, but that took a fortnight...

I tidy mine up occasionally, but usually only those that have attracted no comments, or that I've posted up for a forum topic.

Ceri
seven21 11 196
24 May 2004 7:00PM
I manage the on line portfolio in the same way as my offline one. I keep it at a pre-determined size so new images have to exceed the worst of the existing ones to get in thus ensuring improvement. Sometimes I cannot make that determination until "living" with a shot for some time. Others comments also play a part in the evaluation process. I value all comments and clicks and respond accordingly to acknowledge these. - steve
KatieR 10 6.2k 6
24 May 2004 7:38PM
I have just tried to keep my pics to one page - until I improve, I thought this would be a good way of managing them. This means that I delete occasionally - but only the ones I am not completely happy about. And it doesn't mean I am ungrateful for the comments - I am delighted by them and the deletions are not related to the comments or hearts - I am merely trying to keep a tidy house.
kit-monster e2
11 3.7k 2 Singapore
25 May 2004 10:31AM
Interesting! I guess this has turned into another general gallery thread. I must be unusual as I spend a lot of time trawling through peoples back catalogues. It's always a good source of inspiration and information, seeing how people develop. It's also fun commenting on the odd long forgotten shot. I get about one comment a week from the depths of my portfolio, which sometimes means a lot to me. My portfolio is a record of my progress and started last autumn when I started getting serious about photography. Its a nice reminder of how bad I was!
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
30 May 2004 10:22AM
I could have added this point to any number of recent threads but I think this one is most appropriate.

Is anyone else dissapointed that the 'Walking the Dogs' image has been removed from the landscape catagory?

While I cant check every few hours, (the image was only uploaded a few days ago) the last time I looked the image had received 30+ clicks and many comments (some offering constructive feedback others asking for info about the image) & while all members have every right to manage their portfolio in any way they see fit I would have been interested in what (if anything) they thought of the feedback (I was also hoping to learn from their undoubted skill)

So whats the point in leaving comments clicks etc if even the more popular of images can dissapear?.

I dont want this thread to discuss the image in question but instead to ask your thoughts on the scenario of an image that you have taken time to view/comment/ask questions on, being removed.

I dont know why images are removed so I can only guess but ........

If a member feels they can improve the image due to the feedback should they not leave it in place to allow a comparison to the 'new' version?

If due to the feedback the member does not agree with the coments, should they not respond and give their own point of view rather than removing it (after all they liked the image enough to upload in the first place)

Does this happen more regularly than I have noticed? Is this possibly why the number of clicks appear to be down? (Why bother comenting if your time/thoughts can be deleted so easily)

I accept that some image dont 'look' right after you upload and a member may delete, also 'tidying' up ones portfolio is not my point here. But as Edward indicated earlier I'd hate to think any deletion is due to unfavourable clicks/coments etc

Or am I just having a rant Smile

Alan

a11sus 11 568 Northern Ireland
30 May 2004 10:35AM
The idea of deleting from my portfolio is so totally foreign to me! I am a collector and like collections - this one is a collection of my photos and each one took a day's worth of my upload ration to get it there.

I have a couple without clicks or comments but wouldn't dream of deleting them.

My theory is that I can look back at the beginning and see any improvement in style as I have gone along. . . . . that's the theory anyway!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.