Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dell D620 - questions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Jun 2009 - 8:33 AM

Hi all.

I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop. A few days ago, the battery light has started to flash. I use the laptop mainly through a docking station at work, and via the power lead at home. The light is on the right hand hinge - its flashing 5 times, once in green ,and four times in orange. Think it may mean trouble! Can any one advise me?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Jun 2009 - 8:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simon_Palmer
    4 Jun 2009 - 8:44 AM

That light sequence normally means that the battery is end of life and needs replacing. Most laptop users leave them plugged in 99% of the time and it does wear the battery prematurely. Best way to prolong battery life is to let it cycle every few weeks if used majority of time in a 'plugged in' environment. i.e. pull the power lead and let it run on batteries to 10% life then stick the power lead back in.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Jun 2009 - 9:12 AM

Ah that explains it! Cheers Simon. I only have the thing on battery when i go to meetings etc. Its a work device, so will get a new battery ordered. Cheers

Simon_Palmer
    4 Jun 2009 - 12:30 PM

No problem at all.

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jun 2009 - 3:47 PM

Interestingly Simon, I was given the opposite advice re battery life, i.e. the modern ones have their life shortened by a deep discharge.

Simon_Palmer
    4 Jun 2009 - 6:27 PM

You know what it's like Mr Strawman, everyone gives different advice, I always discharge mine once a month or so and I never bought a new battery and same for my customers so seems ok to me. But having said that I have had two customers with batteries that have not lasted anywhere near as long as they should, so not sure whether they weren't discharging them or they were just faulty. Never know I suppose, I was given that advice an age ago and it seems to have done me good. But if someone proves it wrong I'll happily change.

Last Modified By Simon_Palmer at 4 Jun 2009 - 6:29 PM
    User_Removed
    4 Jun 2009 - 6:31 PM

Frequent deep discharges are bad for lithium batteries. Period.

Several partial discharges and recharges is the best way to use a lithium Smile. They don't have memory so don't worry about it!

Keep it cool also, heat really screws lithiums. 35-40 degrees + is a no-no. (Never keep it in a car for example.) - this is what kills most laptop batt's.

You should however allow the battery to run till dead once every 30-40 charges.
    - Particularly in laptop batteries as the internal gauges which monitor charge capacity do become inaccurate unless you do this.

If you want to store your battery store it at a 40% charge.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Jun 2009 - 6:40 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.