Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Depressed Moi?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
RobinF
RobinF  783 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 12:00 PM

Not sure this is a good idea and definitely don't think it belongs on EPZ! but gonna do it anyway!
Has anyone reading this ever suffered from depression? I was diagnosed in 2006 and am still having to put up with it! it can make day to day living really tough! Just thought, maybe, someone out there might have some opinions/suggestions/thoughts they might want to share.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Apr 2008 - 12:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108574 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 12:07 PM

Hi Robin,

Sorry to hear that you are another of it's Victims....Sad

I'd sooner have 2 broken legs, And both arms in plaster........At least you know they will mend...!

If your in need of a chat with another of it's Victims.
Just ask............Smile

Vince

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Barbaraj
Barbaraj  7450 forum posts England
1 Apr 2008 - 12:11 PM

I have had a bout of it. But under medication it eventually went. It was not an easy illness and people/ friends did not take it seriously. It can be debilitating.
Sorry, I cant give advice as I know it affects people in different ways.

RobinF
1 Apr 2008 - 12:21 PM

Thanks Vince - your Private Messaging is disabled (which of course is fine!) so I thought I'd just say thanks for bothering to respond, it was really nice to hear from someone and I agree, a nice (?) straight-forward broken bone is infinitely preferable!
Also, thank you to Barbara too (I sent a PM).
- Robin

GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81820 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 12:30 PM

Yes, been diagnosed with it twice. But how to make it believeable to people that have never suffered it?

Worst aspects are that it feels like it'll never go away (which compounds the situation - the illness becomes part of the problem), and also the sheer apathy it brings about. The best way I know of dealing with it is to see it for what it is: an old adversary if you like, and to fight the apathy - get out and mix, and try to do plenty of stuff you enjoy (or would normally enjoy).

I also underwent CBT, which doesn't work for all, but if you can see problems heading your way and understand the reasons for them .......

The worst time for me was when it hit me for the first time. I was totally pole-axed by it.

cameracat
cameracat  108574 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 1:02 PM

Quote: CBT, which doesn't work for all

Totally agree.....Gives you another weapon in the armoury so to speak, Or another way of tackling the dam thing......!

But not a cure in itself.....Sad

Robin I will PM you, You can then get back to me....As and when...!

I don't know about you guy's but sometimes it does help to converse with others in the same predicament, If only to realise that you are NOT Alone......Smile

As we are all aware, Those who don't suffer from this, Just don't understand the complexities of the beast, How can they? When the greater majority of Doctors don't seem able to understand it.....!

I'm sure we have all heard words like this " Just take some of these " And come back & see me in a couple of months.......It's a kinda suck it and see approach.......Personally I don't blame them, It's an invisible enemy......Sad

The hardest to deal with.......!

M0TFT
M0TFT  871 forum posts England
1 Apr 2008 - 1:32 PM

I have not suffered myself, but 3 people who I consider close friends have, all of them the sort of person who "you wouldn't think would get ""depressed""", you know bubbly out-going types!

And it's very difficult to explain to ordinary folk what depression is, as the above say, a broken leg is easy to see!

All 3 did eventually overcome their problems, but one still has occasional bad months... So I really do hope you get an answer to your problems

All the best

Alan (M0TFT)

glyndwr
glyndwr  666 forum posts Wales9 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 1:44 PM

I have great sympathy for all sufferers, I never used too, I thought it was just an excuse until I got it.
It is very difficult, you can see a plastercast on a broken limb but this illness, boy o boy.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 1:46 PM

I consider myself fortunate that I have never suffered from depression, but I have worked in this area of medicine and science for a long time.
Depression is a 'proper' disease, as proper a disease as diabetes or arthritis. Many people get a depressed mood from time to time, with or without reason, but not all have the illness of depression.
It is twice as common in women than in men and gets more prevalant with age. It doesn't affect any particular 'type' of person. It tends to be chronic and recurring in nature and many sufferers have problems all their life. The likleyhood of relapse and recurrence is related to how well the initial episodes are treated, so it's wise to take it seriously.
Antidepressants are effective, but should be taken for extended periods and at the full doses. CBT is controversial - so far as I know there are no good trials of CBT in depression and not in comparison with modern antidepressants (unless someone can show me differently), but it may be effective. Interpersonal therapy probably doesn't work and may even be harmful.
At your GP surgery there is probably a GP with special training in depression, he/she is the person you need to see.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013935 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 2:08 PM

Quote: Interpersonal therapy

Could you explain that phrase please? (lots of handy information in this thread...thanks guys)

Krakman
Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
1 Apr 2008 - 2:15 PM

Quote: Interpersonal therapy
Could you explain that phrase please?

I think it means sleeping with the therapist.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 2:29 PM

Quote: I think it means sleeping with the therapist.

In your dreams Smile
Interpersonal therapy is a flavour of psychotherapy which supposes that the depression is a related to disordered relationships with others.
There isn't much evidence available that it works, certainly nowhere near the level which would be required if it were a drug.

RobinF
1 Apr 2008 - 2:38 PM

Quote: Quote:Interpersonal therapy
Could you explain that phrase please?I think it means sleeping with the therapist.

Thanks - you managed to make me smile on an otherwise awful day! - Robin

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013935 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 2:43 PM

Thanks for the explanation Smile

Krakman
Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
1 Apr 2008 - 2:44 PM

Quote: Thanks - you managed to make me smile

It's a pleasure! Smile Tho' I was only half-joking. I remember once a friend told me that she's been going through an extremely low couple of months. She met someone else who was also feeling depressed (not sure if we're talking clinical depression here, but what the heck). They had rampant sex, and next day she felt much better. Dunno about him, but I suspect it probably didn't do him any harm either - she was very pretty.

Just a suggestion, I think there might be something in it! Wink

Last Modified By Krakman at 1 Apr 2008 - 2:46 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.