Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Depressed Moi?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
1 Apr 2008 - 2:56 PM

Back in 1997 I did , quite bad at that, hospital for 3 months and a lot of talking, medications etc, it really all started for me with a very very bad accident that left me in a Coma and clinically died twice :-( a few months before.

Recovery was a long time and lots and lots of things really got me down.

To this day i still suffer, I for one always will believe I will but can control it to certain deegres.

Things at the moment are not too good for me and family, few things major surgery approaching, loss of employment with it comes our home as well, and a financial disaster in that my old pension has bellied out and is really worthless.

So all these things are playing bad on me at the moment and all i can say really is that through years of suffering depression i seem to have worked out coping methods.

The feelings of gloom are there, strong in fact but as I say I have developed methods the cope with the feelings that can be so harmful to you.

Not everyone can do this for themselves with as much ease but it is a winnable war Smile

I do feel for you and can only say get all the help that is offered and seek out more if need be.

Do not rely totaly on medicines they a re only one part of many many things that can be done.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Apr 2008 - 2:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 3:10 PM

Quote: Do not rely totaly on medicines they a re only one part of many many things that can be done.

Indeed. I am fortunate enough not to have experienced depression personally, but have known a number of people who have.

In some cases techniques such as meditation seem to have helped them. It is certainly worth a try - and there are no side effects! Smile

As well as getting dependent on medicines, from what I have observed it is also possible to get dependent on therapy... to the extent that it becomes part of normal life. One individual used to get a bit panicky if his therapist was about to go on holiday, thereby delaying the next appointment. And this was after about 4 years of therapy for what seemed, on the face of it, to be a very mild case (perhaps it wasn't!)

Last Modified By Carabosse at 1 Apr 2008 - 3:13 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314918 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 3:36 PM

I had a strong bout of depresion that lasted for about 7 years. Found myself on sleeping pills and all kinds of different things, nothing really seemed to work.

It was`nt until a serious ilness reared its head that I eventialy got over it.

Have you had all your blood test done and I mean all, just on the off chance there`s no none diagnosed medical condition.

Hazelmouse
1 Apr 2008 - 3:40 PM

I have also had clinical depression-was triggered by change in circumstances and I was put on Efexor. This is another SSRI medication.

Having moved back to the Midalnds again I am a lot better. This is just as well as my (27 y.o.) daughter was diagnosed last year and is going through a really bad patch at the moment and lives 200 miles away.

I think there are strong indication of a family tendency to the illness. And yes, non sufferers do find it hard to comprehend and we each need to try all the 'tools' available to get through it. What works for one person doesn't for another and of course it all seems endless with no hope at times.

Helen.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 3:42 PM

I've been a life long sufferer but had a particularly bad bout of it about 10 years ago....the one that totally knocks you sideways..... the black pit. I had always been able to sort myself in the past but there was no shifting this one.All my usual coping methods didn't work.

I suffered with exhaustion to the point where I'd be awake for about a half hour and then need to sleep again.......my appetite was awful and I went down to about 7st 10.It lasted for a long time.

I've come to the conclusion it is hereditary, with my mother and grandmother also suffering in their life time.

My answer was always to find some adrenalin induced cure to pull me out of it but even that didn't work . I had always been extremely out going, nothing was beyond me and I'd give anything a go....busy busy busy.

Unfortunately for me after about 3 years of trying to keep it together, I started having severe panic attacks to add to the mix.....scared myself silly on the motorway .

I suppose if I'd have addressed the depression the panic attacks may not have followed....which I still today have to deal with.

But at that time, after growing up watching my mother try and cope with it there was no way I was going to start taking any pills.........at the time I saw it as being defeatist and thought I can fight this....my attitude was one of I will not let this beat me....it must be a youth thing cos at 42 , if it happened again, I'd take them without a second thought. Don't under estimate how this effects your kids.

To be honest , the thing that pulled me through eventually was photography..........for me, the best medicine is having something to focus on. Something that absorbs you (without the adrenalin rush) and helps you focus away from your mood.

If you give depression the attention it craves it doesn't go even with the pills....its a lot more common than you realise., which helps.

Agree with Dave...it is controllable....exercise really helps.

Last Modified By CathyT at 1 Apr 2008 - 3:48 PM
uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 3:58 PM

They say 1 in 4 people will suffer full blown depression at some point in life. Its a sad fact that its frowned upon and so many people just take the wrong attitude to people suffering it..

I worked in a large call desk of about 400 people, at any one time we could have up to 10 people off with depression. It wasn't an open thing and kept very quiet.

So I think yes this is a good place to speak about it, Im fed up with it being the voodoo subject.

Ive had my times where I have been down but I also have someone close to me who suffers it pretty bad so I know the ins and outs of it...

The thing to think on, keep going and keep trying and sometime the light will be at the end of the tunnel.

Tommy

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 4:02 PM

Quote: Having moved back to the Midalnds again I am a lot better.

Funny, it always has the opposite effect on me Smile

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 4:04 PM

I thought I should add....just to lighten the mood......that i do not suffer at all now and neither does my mother.

It takes a lot of courage to face something like depression every day. It will go.

Last Modified By CathyT at 1 Apr 2008 - 4:09 PM
WelshKiwi
WelshKiwi  63231 forum posts Wales2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 4:23 PM

I had a brilliant Dr in New Zealand.

She believed in me Smile

After 10 years now I have learnt to cope, or rather I know the signs.

Im a bit of a manic, I can be on a high (very high but naturally) and can be very very productive and I get so much done.

In fact I live then on about 2 hours sleep a night.

Then Im really down, and way down at that nothing can stir me out of it, it just has to work its way out of my system and it generally does.

However, I have learned to cope, and knowing the signs, I now know when Im sliding down and I can address the situation, it means I have to be extra prepared and organised at everything.

Fortunately it seems to be getting better (or am I just coping better) and the periods of productiveness and positivness are longer.

I notice the signs more and the periods of downtime are less frequent and shorter.

I have however got a serious lack of self confidence and I cope in a way that makes me look as if Im over confident. I seem to worry about what people "Think" way too much.

My depression started after the first Gulf War when I was working in the FO. I gave up a very highly paid job because I was disillusioned with life and people. Slowly I am re building my faith.

Thats why I hate apathy and people treating others unkindly with a passon, You just dont know peoples backgrounds or situations.

My OH who is a "Just get on with it girl" kinda bloke was supportive but couldnt understand.

Now, he just lets me sleep when I need to and does my work for me.

Im very focused at the moment on something I want to achieve, and for the last year Ive only had a couple of bad days in a row at a time. Most people suffer from the occasional "blue days" so I guess Im lucky if now thas all I have to cope with.

So I agree with Cathy T that it is good to focus on something and soon you will be able to tell the signs and learn to cope.

My photography, my new business and Epz are keeping me focused. Yes, I find Epz very thereputic and when you go on threads like this and Roll Call you realise that people do feel like you and you also realise that people often have it worse than you. So I guess Im very lucky.

Im a naturally happy person, who loves having friends around and it often suprises people when they realise I have had this problem but thats another thing Ive learnt to do, cover it well.

I would like to Thank Robin for this thread, Ive read it all more than once, wasnt going to post, Pm'd him to tell him he is a very brave man.

I would like to applaud him in public now.

Thank you Robin.

Lee Smile

GlennH
GlennH  91891 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 4:39 PM

"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you", said Nietzsche to his mate at the pub one night, as he offered him a salt and vinegar crisp.

When I was depressed I pondered all sorts of dark and unanswerable questions - even grimmer than Jpeg v RAW, and got hooked in a spiral of obsessional thinking that took me to a rather murky place. I don't know what triggered it, but bereavement and shock were around both times. I liked sleeping a lot when depressed - which of course is not particularly a healthy attitude (but is a blessed relief).

General advice seems pretty futile, because sufferers have different reasons and different manifestations of this illness (plus there are different forms of depression of course). But trying to detach myself from the illness eventually worked for me. Do not give in to it - fight it with a manical grin and force yourself back into the light and life. Takes a massive amount of effort, because it really is an all- consuming disease, but it can be done.

Listen to Nat King Cole crooning 'Smile'. He knew.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 4:43 PM

Quote: "When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you", said Nietzsche to his mate at the pub one night, as he offered him a salt and vinegar crisp.

Are you sure he wasn't looking into an empty pint glass when he said that? Wink

Not being a sufferer, I can only offer sympathy rather than advice. We all get down from time to time but clinical depression must be horrible.

CathyT
1 Apr 2008 - 4:54 PM

Quote: and got hooked in a spiral of obsessional thinking that took me to a rather murky place. I don't know what triggered it, but bereavement and shock were around both times.

Me too........its breaking the habit of dwelling on things that begins to pull you out...takes a while though to work through.

I wonder how many of us on this thread have the same personality traits????

WelshKiwi
WelshKiwi  63231 forum posts Wales2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 5:07 PM

Quote: Me too........its breaking the habit of dwelling on things that begins to pull you out...takes a while though to work through.

Cathy, that is so spot on. Im always being told I "THINK" way too much.

Or as some people say "Over Analyise"

And I notice when instead of thinking, and I just, DO, then things dont seem to get bad.

Smile

CathyT
1 Apr 2008 - 5:09 PM

Don't think ...just be.

A lot of it is learned behavior. ...you have to replace it with the new.

Last Modified By CathyT at 1 Apr 2008 - 5:12 PM
Krakman
Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
1 Apr 2008 - 5:14 PM

Quote: I wonder how many of us on this thread have the same personality traits????

Not suffered from it myself, but I've helped drive others into it if that counts.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.