Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Depressed Moi?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014479 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2009 - 11:04 PM

Be careful with the medication, even cutting back a smidgen on some of them for some people can be devastating. A couple years ago I said to my doctor, I'd like to stop this medication. He gave me a schedule to do it gradually; of course me being who I am, I stuck to the schedule for about 2 weeks, then I stopped altogether. The next thing I knew I had alienated most of the people I love, and my daughter talked to my doctor, and he put me back on the med and said probably for the rest of my life. I don't have any symptoms from taking the med, but I won't dare miss a dose now. CB can maybe remember my other self.Wink

Last Modified By StrayCat at 11 Mar 2009 - 11:05 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Mar 2009 - 11:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2010 - 3:36 PM

Is Robin still on here????? I was wondering how he and others were doing.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2010 - 4:05 PM

I have thought long and hard before contributing to the thread, but not as long as it took me
me to seek help, what amazed me is that between 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 people will suffer at some stage in their life.

All I would say is use your GP mine was brilliant very understanding, with the right treatment ( not just medicine) it does get better.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014479 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2010 - 5:46 PM

I'm sure your GP recommended exercise to relieve symptoms. I can say, without a doubt in my mind, that walking does me more good than anything else, and I also highly recommend deep breathing meditation as an essential exercise for anybody, healthy or otherwise. It sounds complicated, but it is the simplest, effective activity anyone can undertake.

I'm here if anyone needs me.Grin

RobinF
RobinF  783 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2010 - 9:59 PM

[quote]Is Robin still on here?????/quote]
Hi Cathy, yes I am still here and thanks for taking the trouble to PM me about the thread still being active. I still suffer from depression but it is far more under control now than when I started this thread. I have been through many, many different courses of treatment. Some far more helpful than others. Also as a consequence of a particularly bad period and to enable me to tackle the issues 'head on' as it were, I am not currently working. This was a choice I was fortunate to have had the option of taking voluntarily and saved me the ordeal of being 'managed out' by my former employer due to prolonged but unavoidable periods of absence. I hope to return to work soon. The latest therapy is CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) based and I am very hopeful it will be of help. however, like IFIMAGE above I suspect I will always have this problem one way or another.

But, all in all, except for the 'bad' days - life is good and I am very fortunate in having an understanding and supportive family to help me through.

Kind regards to everyone and best wishes for dealing with this stuff!

Robin

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2010 - 10:53 AM

Jeremy Vine show

Did anyone catch this......very interesting...pick it up halfway through the schedule ....

the book......

Depressive Illness, The Curse of the Strong by Tim Cantopher.

Last Modified By CathyT at 29 Nov 2010 - 10:55 AM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2010 - 2:29 PM

Well raised Cathy - article starts at 1:09:15 into the programme - if anyones interested. I think its only on iplayer for 4 days so will only be there until tomorrow.

For me it was something similar that got me to seek help - a documentary by Stephen Fry at 3am! (which says everything).

There is still a stigma attached to depression (the reason it took me a while to post in the thread), hopefully the programme will show that highly driven proffesional people can be affected - and there is light at the end of the tunnel. So much in there struck a chord, stress, heavy workload, insomnia, drinking too much, loss of interest in virtually everything (yes even that Wink ), not to mention personal issues. But the thing that really hit home about the article was the sense of not really being there just looking in from the outside.

It was only after seeking help I realised it wasn't my first bout either.

To anyone else who is / has had problems just take that first step.

Photogeek
Photogeek  9605 forum posts Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2010 - 3:52 PM

I took a week off work at the beginning of November, to look after my son during half term . . . I did absolutely nothing all week despite having lots of interesting projects on the go . . . just sat on the sofa . . . And I can't believe just how much better I feel for doing that. . . . Now I'm back at work I can feel this incredible black cloud settling over me again . . . . I think I need to go and visit the doctors just in case, as I've been feeling this off and on for 3 or 4 years now . . .possibly longer

Thanks for that iPlayer link, it has made me think about things

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.