Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Depressed Moi?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102287 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 5:14 PM

Quote: You're appetite is probably poor, but you must get certain vitamins, particularly the B's; I took vitamin B compound, it's essential for your brain's chemical balance, without it, you'll be even more depressed and feel even less like eating.

Yes. I believe taking vitamin B and plenty of exercise are some of the best ways to combat depression.

Quote: Clinical depression is often caused by an inbalance of something called serotonin in the brain. It's the stuff that regulates your mood.

Apparently that is no longer true so all our experts need to get up to speed!
Many or most experts are under the false hypothesis that depression is the result of a chemical imbalance - a theory that has never been proven since it was first suggested in 1965.

By getting hold of studies that the manufacturers had deliberately suppressed, researchers at Hull University in the UK have finally discovered that Prozac and other pills are no more effective than a sugar pill, or placebo.
Powers granted by freedom of information legislation in the USA had to be used to get hold of 47 trials on SSRI (serotonin selective reuptake inhibitors) drugs, such as Prozac, which had not been published.

Sorry to offer this latest contradictory information, but my own experience with depression is that pills are not the answer. There is no easy answer but I would emphasize again trying make yourself exercise and try and keep communicating with friends and family.
I don't think we understand drepression very well at all (me included) because I suspect it is linked with the complex matrix that is our unique personal history and past experiences. Maybe we need to understand the 'soul', if there is any such thing, in order to understand depression.
There is no harm in talking to a doctor - that will probably do more good than pills - it depends on the doctor.

Garth

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Apr 2008 - 5:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102287 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 5:17 PM

Quote: Don't think ...just be.

A lot of it is learned behavior. ...you have to replace it with the new.

There's a lot of truth in that Cathy!

Garth

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 5:22 PM

Quote: Not suffered from it myself, but I've helped drive others into it if that counts.

LOL

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110239 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 5:41 PM

Sorry to hear you are suffering Robin, I hope you find your way out of it.

I suffered a major attack of depression which finally led to my early retirement.

It turned out to be the result of a crap childhood combined with severe work related stress and the belief that "There was nothing I couldn't manage on my own".

It took about 18 months of drugs and cognitive therapy to get it under control but the biggest help for me was to escape from the stress of my job and change my environment by moving back to live on the coast.

I was lucky also that I have a very supportive and understanding wife, she went through hell for quite a while.

Its not an illness I would wish on my worst enemy and, like me, I suspect anyone who has suffered from it is constantly on guard for the early signs of it re-appearing.

My greatest asset now is that my short term memory has got much worse, so I can no longer keep on turning over the "problems" that were at the root of my breakdown. I'm not sure if it a result of the drugs I was on or simply an internal defensive reaction from my mind (drives my poor wife potty sometimes though! Smile )

For others sufferers out there, stick with it, there is eventually some relief

imander
imander  7388 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 6:28 PM

hi all,
I had to jump in on this thread to say how nice it is to see so many people willing to admit to Depression.....I myself have been sufering with it for about ten years, brought on by M.E and Fibromialgia.
I go through bouts that are sometimes worse than others and recently have taken a break from photography because of it.
I do understand the thing regarding excercise etc, but because of other medical issues i am unable a lot of the time to take exercise which then causes further depression due to feeling lazy and useless.
I really hope anyone who suffers with it has the kind of understanding that my family has given me.
Its not always easy to come to terms with and other peoples hurtful remarks dont help. Just remember your not alone and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Anyone wanting a chat or a moan or anything please dont hesitate to PM me, even if i cant offer any advice, just having someone who understands listen to you can really help....I'd be totally lost without my Mrs.
Good luck if you have depression and if you dont remember a kind word or a smile can Really really help
ian

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 6:33 PM

Thanks to Stolzy and others for your input on this, It is very true that people you least expect can be hiding a serious deppresion problem...!

I served in the London Fire Brigade for 20 years, We had all sorts of characters, Some quiet,Some larger than life....Smile

Back then I was a sceptic regarding deppresion, So it's kinda rough justice nowadays.....Payback time I guess....Sad

During the mid 80's I worked with a guy who was a non-stop Joker....We all thought he was a natural comedian........Life & soul of any party, Or social gathering, And well respected in the service......!

One day I turned up for a tour of duty, And was informed he had commited suicide, The old hose pipe in the exhaust of his car, This was done inside a locked garage........!
Later we found out that in his private life he had been suffering from deppresion for many years....!

I was never sceptical about deppresion after that, It's a destructive demon.

daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
1 Apr 2008 - 6:51 PM

Quote: I was never sceptical about deppresion after that, It's a destructive demon.

And sadly as you saw only too well a master of disguise and silent.

It is one of the most amaizingly difficult things to do when suffering from this desease is to simply ask for help !!!!!

A mask of shame and the fact that there is no blood, blisters,casts,splints evident to see, you therefore cannot comprehend how anyone out there is possibly going to understand far less help.

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
1 Apr 2008 - 7:12 PM

I was sent to a psychiatrist for post-natal depression, stormed in (I just didn't want to be there!), 10 minutes later stormed out. Saw the GP in the afternoon, 'he can't help himself let alone help me, any more bright ideas?'
3 weeks later Sandy (the GP) asked what I had seen that others in the profession (colleagues that worked in the Instituion with the psychiatrist) had missed ..... suicide on New Year's Day ...
That's when I realised that it hits all walks of life, all sorts of personalities, there is no typical depression, no typical victim, it's a ******* ...
Once you are able to accept that you have it believe it or not you are over the biggest hurdle of all and are on the rollercoaster to recovery

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 7:23 PM

There is a lot to be said for taking a pro active roll.....

once you have taken that first step to get help it does indeed have a roller coaster effect it does give you a kick in the right direction . Agree bevzed.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 8:16 PM

Quote: Yes. I believe taking vitamin B and plenty of exercise are some of the best ways to combat depression.

Poppycock, unless you would like to drect me to the randomised clinical trials which support your thesis. Might be a good idea to keep such nonsense to yourself - remember this is a life-threatening disease

Quote: Apparently that is no longer true so all our experts need to get up to speed!
Many or most experts are under the false hypothesis that depression is the result of a chemical imbalance - a theory that has never been proven since it was first suggested in 1965.

Really? Don't know what you've been reading but there are literally thousands of well-performed clinical and animal studies which support this. doubtless you can direct us to good sources on this.

Quote: By getting hold of studies that the manufacturers had deliberately suppressed, researchers at Hull University in the UK have finally discovered that Prozac and other pills are no more effective than a sugar pill, or placebo.
Powers granted by freedom of information legislation in the USA had to be used to get hold of 47 trials on SSRI (serotonin selective reuptake inhibitors) drugs, such as Prozac, which had not been published.

If you'd actually read the relevant publication you'd know that it doesn't say that at all.
Interesting that you dismiss decades of research and thousands of scientific publications on depression in favour of you vitamin B theory - for which there is not a shred of evidence

Quote: I don't think we understand drepression very well at all (me included) because I suspect it is linked with the complex matrix that is our unique personal history and past experiences. Maybe we need to understand the 'soul', if there is any such thing, in order to understand depression.

The sort of top of the head theorizing without facts or evidence which causes depressed patients to fail to seek help and thereby worsen their condition

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2008 - 8:23 PM

I'd just likew to interject another thought.
There is a lot of talk of depression 'brought on by' bereavment or divorce of childhood experience or other factors.
The fact is that lots of people have such experiences and most don't get depression. Clinical depression is not brought on by such events. Its tempting to associate the depression with life events, but the fact is that it is an illness, like any other. the first step to beating it is to realise this and seek help. The impression that it is caused by a peronality trait or reaction to an event tends to encourage people to try and cope on their own.

gcarth
1 Apr 2008 - 8:23 PM

Even tough guys get drepression - it isn't just 'wimps' that suffer from it.
It's not worth fighting it - you just have to let go and float with it - though I think a bit of angry cursing can sometimes help to release tension. The trouble is of course that depression often drains you and takes all the anger and 'get up and go' out of you and so you may not feel able to get that angry until the appropriate moment - probably only when you are already starting to get better anyway.
The thing to remember is that you will get better, no matter how bad, provided that you talk to people about it until you can find something positive and enjoyable in life to get absorbed in as soon as you recover.
I reckon if there are no obvious financial or relationship problems behind a depression, then it has to be down to too much pressure or lack of self-esteem; lack of sleep, lack of the right vitamins, boredom etc.
We live in a society that can be very ugly, very callous and unloving and as individuals we have to be in pretty good shape to withstand all these pressures.
But these are exciting times and there is so much wrong with society that needs putting right and we can all help to alleviate our collective depressions by recognising and respecting other people's rights to a decent life and engaging with those who will listen and telling those who would bully us where to get off - they have got away with if for far too long.

Garth

CathyT
1 Apr 2008 - 8:37 PM

Quote: I'd just likew to interject another thought.
There is a lot of talk of depression 'brought on by' bereavment or divorce of childhood experience or other factors.
The fact is that lots of people have such experiences and most don't get depression. Clinical depression is not brought on by such events. Its tempting to associate the depression with life events, but the fact is that it is an illness, like any other. the first step to beating it is to realise this and seek help. The impression that it is caused by a peronality trait or reaction to an event tends to encourage people to try and cope on their own.

Thats interesting...

i always assumed it was down to my peak and trough personality...and that something got out of hand...and yes..it did stop me getting help and yes I did assign it to events that had happened.

I suppose I was so desperate to find a way out.

Without re reading all your comments , do you think that medication is the only way forward??

I could have save myself a few years..

Krakman
Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
1 Apr 2008 - 8:40 PM

Quote: Yes. I believe taking vitamin B and plenty of exercise are some of the best ways to combat depression.
Poppycock, unless you would like to drect me to the randomised clinical trials which support your thesis. Might be a good idea to keep such nonsense to yourself - remember this is a life-threatening disease

The vitamin B link seems to be supported by this BBC report amongst others.

Lots of anti-depression advice seems to be that healthy diet and exercise are key factors in fighting it.

Are these reports and advice poppycock?

Last Modified By Krakman at 1 Apr 2008 - 8:41 PM
gcarth
1 Apr 2008 - 8:41 PM

Quote: The sort of top of the head theorizing without facts or evidence which causes depressed patients to fail to seek help and thereby worsen their condition

Stolzy, I have given you the facts as I have read them and as I have experienced them. You, have NOT experienced depression so how can you possibly know what it is like or what is required?
You are obviously a very clever person but have a habit of allowing your ego to run away on overdrive.
What you don't tell people is that there are many psychiatric experts who would disagree with you.
As always, you are always seeking confrontation. I'm not seeking confrontation but you are always so combative. What is your problem?
Are you insecure?

Garth

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.