Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Depression

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Peter_West
30 Nov 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hi all anybody here had depression, and how did you cope with it, Pete Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Nov 2012 - 12:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hazelmouse
30 Nov 2012 - 1:24 PM

There has been a thread about this in the past - I think you will find many people on here (including me) have suffered from this.

NathanS
NathanS  988 forum posts England
30 Nov 2012 - 1:35 PM

Hi Pete

Pete if you are struggling with depression best to get some professional help. Your GP may be your best first port of call. Or you could phone Mind for advice.

Good to have a hobby like photography. There is a really inspirational book by Dominquez Lorenzo called 25 Lessions I've learned about photography ... Life. He was in a really #### place in his life and appears got through it by becoming totally absorbed in his photograph.

All the best
Nathan

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 2:01 PM

Go to your GP. It's an illness not a weakness and can be treated.

Fraser

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 2:07 PM

Quote: There has been a thread about this in the past - I think you will find many people on here (including me) have suffered from this.

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/depressed-moi--58569

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 2:20 PM

Yes, badly (to near suicide) and I only got control of it after my wife insisted I go to the doctor to get help.

Drugs + cognitive therapy + support from my family and about 18 months leading up to early retirement finally sorted it.

I still have to be aware of the possibility of it coming back and make sure to keep myself from getting into situations that can provoke it (in my case it is stress combined with flash-backs to a pretty dire childhood that are the trigger, so I make sure not to read or watch too much of the current stuff on childrens' care homes and the like)

As has been said, its not your fault, its nothing to be ashamed of but is an illness that is capable of treatment to reduce / control it.

Good luck Pete, you've taken the first step in realising you are depressed now go and seek the help that is available to you

Last Modified By brian1208 at 30 Nov 2012 - 2:21 PM
Peter_West
30 Nov 2012 - 2:50 PM

thanks all, got doctors next week, and hopefully get myself sorted, i know the cause, but not told my kids, don't want to really, just hope doctors can help. Pete

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 2:57 PM

Be patient with (and kind to) yourself. The bane is how much blame you feel and how much guilt you heap on yourself for being so "weak". Realising it's a treatable illness is a step forward in itself. You'll talk to people in your own time and when you come to terms with your condition. Good luck.

Fraser

rambler
rambler e2 Member 6469 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 4:24 PM

I would also thoroughly recommend the Samaritans for anyone finding themselves in need of help. Day or night they are there for you, they were for me and I have never forgotten their kindness.

Ken

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64345 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 4:45 PM

My brother suffered very badly from depression and went into meltdown many years ago. The doctors didn't really take him seriously at first but when he finally snapped, I won't say how, he was finally assessed and given drugs and cbt. He's so much better now and is off the drugs but still has to take a few now and again if he feels wobbly. It's a terribly debilitating illness but there is help out there. Best of luck.

puertouk
puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 5:27 PM

Pete, try and find people around you who are keen on photography. Go out with them, preferably countryside walks when the sunīs shining. Call and have a drink or 2 afterwards and chat about things, anything really. Making friends with new faces can help get you out of your mundane way of life. When the poor weather stops you going out, get onto your PC and go through your images and use your software to enhance them. Maybe have friends round to go over your photos you took together and give each other feedback.

I find people become more depressed when they sit alone and think about negative things in their lives. Meet new people, go to new places. Keep yourself busy. Its surprising how quickly you can rid your demons when you are in good company and having a laugh. Life then is much rosier and you have something to look forward to your next meeting.

collywobles
30 Nov 2012 - 5:28 PM

Make a note, that depression can also be caused by certain drugs (medical not pot), so bear that in mind as well.

Last Modified By collywobles at 30 Nov 2012 - 5:29 PM
GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8972 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 5:36 PM

Go direct to your doctors and tell them you need to see a doctor as an emergency. Do not sit waiting weeks for an appointment, I have and still do suffer from DP due to painkillers that I must take daily for back pain and at this time of year SAD.

If you had pains in the heart you would have got it seen to asap so stop reading on hear and get it sorted.

Hope all goes well.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 30 Nov 2012 - 5:37 PM
User_Removed
30 Nov 2012 - 5:57 PM

Quote: got doctors next week, and hopefully get myself sorted, i know the cause

Doctor's dish out pills like Smarties for depression. Pills like Citalopram, Seroxat and Prozac which were developed to fight imbalances in the brain (eg dopamine and serotonin levels). Those SSRI pills can help fight clinical depression, when people are depressed due to chemical imbalance.

If you know the cause though then pills are possibly not the best answer, counselling and CBT may suit you better. Make sure your doctor gives you all the options and isn't writing out an SSRI prescription during your first sentence.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 5:58 PM

Stephen, all very sensible advice but if you are suffering from clinical depression I'm afraid it doesn't work (in fact being in company can make it worse as you feel dissociated from everyone and can't understand why)

For this illness medical / psychiatric help is the best (sometimes only) answer

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.