Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Depression

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

RichardN00
30 Nov 2012 - 6:24 PM

Quote: If you know the cause though then pills are possibly not the best answer, counselling and CBT may suit you better. Make sure your doctor gives you all the options and isn't writing out an SSRI prescription during your first sentence.

Unfortunately in some areas you can wait for between six to ten weeks for a therapist to become available Sad
In these cases pills can be littrally the difference between life and death, thankfully most doctors no longer have two sets of prescription pads already written out with penicillin and Vallium on their desks and will use counselling when it's available

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Nov 2012 - 6:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameraman
cameraman  11227 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 7:48 PM

Pete, whatever you do, make sure you get all the help you can. Disaster can strike. Have a look at my thread titled 'Stuart Holland'.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 30 Nov 2012 - 11:15 PM
Bingsblueprint
30 Nov 2012 - 7:52 PM

Same lines, just post natal depression. I study psychology and counselling as well so I have a deep understanding. Feeling my depression being on a biological level rather than psychological due to all the hormones from pregnancy. But being greatly rooted to the CBT model I couldn't deal with the fact I couldn't change my negative thoughts and feelings like you should be able to.
For every depression there are different therapies or medication that can help you. Sorry if you think this is a bit of big word mumbo jumbo Tongue

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64433 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 8:19 PM

My brother was lucky, if you could call it that. He had the type of chemical brain imbalance that could easily be treated with drugs. But the diagnosis wasn't obvious from the start. It took years. So you shouldn't hesitate to get help. The sooner the better, whatever type of depression you have.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 8:21 PM

I just take each day as it comes, was diagnosed with PTSD earlier this year, it seems to go hand in hand with depression. I`m currently taking a mass of different medications that leave me feeling pretty crap most of the time, I don`t believe that pills alone are much help.

I would probably be taking some kind of exposure therapy at some point.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 8:22 PM

Speaking as someone who suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Bi-Polar Disorder for good measure, all due to brain injuries sustained in a Road accident. I can only reiterate the advice you have been given so far in saying that you need to see your G.P as soon as possible. However, if it's an emergency and you are truly at your wits end, The Samaritans should be your first port of call. Short of this and if you can afford it, get in touch with The Priory Group of clinics. I can't recommend them enough and they're the reason I'm still here if I'm honest.....But I won't bore everyone with the details Wink

Ade Smile

Madhatter58
30 Nov 2012 - 8:47 PM

All good advice on here Pete and I wish you well. Got it myself mate and take it a day at a time. While I've had it I lost my job then found work got promoted so it's not all negative. Had anxiety with it too and got to the state where I couldn't go out for two years BUT took up photography and did a study at home course too, this got me out eventually along with professional help of course - you'll get there mate.

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9366 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
30 Nov 2012 - 10:08 PM

I suffered from "depression" some years ago. I had the lot, pills....CBT etc. but i never really recovered properly because i was misdiagnosed. I had another underlying psychiatric problem and am now on the correct medication. If you are feeling down then you probably have depression but if there are any other symptoms then tell your GP immediately as it can be a life saver. GPs can't always diagnose people with depression as they are really good at hiding it. I hid it for 10 years and in that time had major mood swings and became extremely introverted at times. I'm over that now so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2012 - 11:15 PM

Quote: Pete, whatever you do, make sure you get all the help you can. Disaster can strike. Have a look at my thread titled 'Stuart Holland'.

I just came to this thread to say just that!

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2012 - 8:01 AM

Hi pete, this is the first time i have posted anything here on EPZ in the forums, but I want to tell you that I have just recovered from a bout of clinical depression myself.
I have a depressive illness that has come and gone through out my life, and I want you to know that recovery from depression with treatment is possible.
Please do not try and Put up with it, or play down your symptoms when you see your GP, depression is a very serious illness that has a big effect on the way people suffering from it think.
The chemical imbalance in the brain causes a distortion in the way a person feels, often bringing about an overload of very negative thoughts and feelings, it brings with it an erratic sleep pattern, changes in weight, ( because food either tastes of nothing and you have no appetite, or food is the only thing that gives any sensation and a person winds up over eating just to feel something)
Feeling totally physically exhausted is also a common feature.
You are doing absolutely the right thing by recognizing that things are not right for you and going to your GP.
Be completely honest with your GP about how you feel right now, especially about suicidal thoughts, its vital that they know the truth so that you can be given the most effective treatments.
A lot of people worry that they will be carted off against their will, if they tell a GP how bad they are feeling,
let me just say that it is in fact, very difficult to get yourself sectioned under the mental health act (very very difficult, )
I highly recommend the "Mind" web site for reliable information on all aspects of mental health.
I hope to hear more about how you are getting on,
for now i will send you all the best wishes for a speedy recovery.
kindest regards, liz.

Peter_West
1 Dec 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hi I must how you have all helped me with advice, didn't expect all this, doctors booked, booked myself a counciler appointment, who iv'e been told is very good, but my ex girlfriend is at moment the one is helping me the most, she knew ages a go that i wasn't my normal happy self, all this has come about because of a another women who i met 2 years ago, and totaly screwed me up in more ways than one, plus work and money worries, i have felt this creeping up on me over a few months if not longer, but being stupid thinking i'm a so called man i shouldn't show my feelings and being weak, but thanks to my ex she made me realise i need help and i'm not weak, plus gave me a good talking to lol, about us, i deserve it from her, she is amazing and i treated her bad in the end '' the grass is allways greener on the other side'' it's not, so thank you all very much, you don't realise how much you helped me yesterday, and i'll let you know what doctor says, thanks all Pete x

Peter_West
7 Dec 2012 - 6:14 PM

Hi All. Thought i would keep you informed whats happening, just back from Doctors and been prescribed Mirtazapine and going to organise counciling so hopefully get this lot sorted out once and for all, probally the hardest thing had to do telling Doctor but done now and he was very good actually seeming it was the first time i'd met him, but i suppose it's the first step and hopefully get back into my hobbies fishing, photography and walking which iv'e neglected last few month, but it goes without saying believe it or nor you have all helped just knowing people can take the trouble to reply to my first post, onward and upward Pete

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 7:28 PM

Quote: just back from Doctors and been prescribed Mirtazapine

That`s one of the many I`m taking Smile

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 8:14 PM

Quote: That`s one of the many I`m taking

You and me both Paul Sad

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014813 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 8:23 PM

Pete, take the advice of the Doctor, obviously, but don't neglect the walking; excercise is one of the best tools to battle depression, just getting out in the fresh air helps tremendously. Just a couple of days barred up in the house for me, and I start to lose initiative at whatever I'm doing at the time, especially this time of year with so little daylight, it seems we just finish breakfast and supper rolls around. We have to push ourselves through the doldrums of the short winter days with the knowledge that there are much better times ahead. Take care of yourself, and don't get the feeling that you're alone in this; most of us go through a slow period this time of year.

Denny

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.