Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Depression

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 12:14 AM

Hi Pete, so pleased to read that you have broken through the barrier, seeing your doc for the first time is very hard i know, so you are all ready taking back control by getting that help.
The Medication can take six to eight weeks to work so stick with the Docs advice even if you feel no change just yet, and do go back if you feel worse,
that is very important.
I definitely recommend stray cats advice about walking, I personally aim for twenty minutes every day, and again I know it can be very hard to face the world some days but even on mega bad days i have found that getting those minutes outside really takes the edge off the worst symptoms.
I include Omega 3 fish oils 1000mg every day alongside any medication.
Do not under any account take St Johns wart along side prescribed Medication for depression as the two interact.

In my own experience of counseling, I found at first the CBT ( Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) absurd, I just did not get the seemingly simplistic idea of changing a bad thought in to a happy one, but on the third try I got it!( I walked out on the first therapist, saw the second for two visits, and only saw the third therapist when my GP gave me a talking to that lasted over an hour!!)
I had a therapist who used my interest of photography to suggest to me that as i looked through the camera view finder for a different angle on maybe a familiar subject, I could use that skill to look at areas of my life and explore a different point of view.
from that point onwards the sessions gave me a lot to take away and think about, and having been initially very resistant, I now feel everyone should have a bit of CBT.
As you might have gathered i am at the extreme end of the depressive scale, and for me its been an on off state for much of my life,
with out treatment the illness has cost me dear, it took over everything, but with treatment I have been able to put together a far better life.
Depression is an illness, it is not a personality flaw, it is not a judgment on you, it is not a punishment, you are not loosing your mind, It is a straight out diagnosable illness and you will recover.
You are not alone, and i am so glad that by posting this here you have given myself and others the chance to talk about depression,
I so hope you will keep posting updates on this thread ?
Kindest regards, liz.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Dec 2012 - 12:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 1:36 AM

All the best Pete, glad you are seeking help, and just wanted to say I liked your posts Liz - I think there is a lot of valuable and interesting information in there so thanks for posting.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.