Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Depth of field with Macro lens

pixclix 7 1
8 May 2008 6:40PM
Hi I ask if anyone can help me to get the greatest depth of field when using a macro lens.

i know the depth of field is very limited and the idea is to have just a small area in focus with the remaining image drifting out of focus but how do I try to maximise the depth of field to get as much in focus as possible.

I've read that you need to have the lens in parallel to the object which is great for shooting flat objects but objects with a depth, height and width create the problem.

Any ideas would be most welcome

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simon_P 8 487 4 United Kingdom
8 May 2008 6:59PM
Smallest aperture (f22 etc and will likely requite a tripod) DOF is also effected by the distance from focal plane to subject, macro lenses are designed for close focusing so a large DOF is difficult unless you move further from the subject, which kind of defeats the object of a macro lens.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
8 May 2008 7:01PM
You need a combination of a small enough aperture with enough distance to your subject. For instance, when you use a 105mm macro lens, then even if you're using f22 as your aperture, you're hardly going to have any depth of field at all if you're shooting from 10cm, to name an example. That changes when you increase the distance to, say, 100cm.

Have a play with the depth of field calculator here and you'll see for yourself.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
8 May 2008 7:16PM
Have a look at this

focus stacking
starliz 10 1.6k 3 England
8 May 2008 7:18PM
thanks for the link conrad Smile might be a little less confused now.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.