Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Description please?!

shannron 8 97 United Kingdom
20 May 2009 12:03PM
Ok,

Rant*

Can I say how annoying it is too come across an image on Ephotozine which you find really superb only to open the thumbnail looking for info on the photographer and shot...to be met with a blank nothing!!!!!!

Its lazy not to put at least some details in regarding your work which so many other people find useful.

Sharon x

Rant over*

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
20 May 2009 12:16PM
Some people can be quite covetous of thier work. For those people trying to scrape an existence through photography, hunting down new locations and trying to do something just a little bit different can be profitable but takes considerable time and effort. You can't blame someone for being less than willing to divulge sometimes.
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
20 May 2009 12:20PM
I on the contrary find it slightly irritating when the photographer includes information on the image - unless there's something specific that the photographer wants to tell us about the image that you can't see by looking at it. Why care whether it was taken with a D300 or a D200, or using a 50mm or a 20mm? If the photographer is pushing this information at me, it's a kind of signal that maybe they're more interested in gadgets and tehno-babble than photos. Or maybe they think the viewer is a techie-head. It's almost an insult to the viewer.

As for personal information about the photographer, that's interesting, and nice to include. Personally I took mine out, but for specific reasons. May put something back in at a later date.
chase e2
9 1.1k 242 England
20 May 2009 12:28PM
I think it's always nice to read something about each image,what the photographer was trying to acheive etc,it makes commenting on the image a whole lot easier.Perhaps no need for location,just a little general info,especially if the photographer is looking for constructive crit.
Geraint 8 715 34 Wales
20 May 2009 12:29PM
If a photo is strong enough it probably doesn't 'need' a description, but I do find that a commentary does enhance my enjoyment sometimes, especially when it comes to photojournalism and street photography. But if a photo leaves you asking questions, surely that's a good thing...? I agree with Krakman above regarding the camera, lens etc; it's sometimes interesting to note the equipment a photographer is using, but the photo comes first for me.
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
20 May 2009 12:31PM

Quote:I think it's always nice to read something about each image

Quote:I do find that a commentary does enhance my enjoyment sometimes

I agree entirely, if there's an interesting background story to the photo it's nice to hear it.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
20 May 2009 12:35PM
Rant

I TOTALLY agree Sharon

Rant Over
chase e2
9 1.1k 242 England
20 May 2009 12:40PM
I do believe including a short commentary results in more folk actually commenting on an image rather that just leaving a vote.The thought may be...'well if they can't be bothered to tell me anything,I can't be bothered to comment'...if you get my drift.
Metalhead 7 1.9k 2 England
20 May 2009 12:41PM
I agree with Sharon. Sometimes you don't even know what country an image was taken in but it looks like it could be somewhere you'd like to visit sometime.

Always nice to have a bit of background info on an image, even without every technical bit of info attached.

Same goes for the photo map gallery. I've just spent a good while looking around places local to myself and places I personally like to visit. I'm sure more people could be tagging their images even for the purpose of giving people a general location. A great feature that could be used much more.
20 May 2009 12:47PM

Quote:I on the contrary find it slightly irritating when the photographer includes information on the image

Well, it can't be had both ways!

If you find the info given interesting then read it.

If you don't find it interesting then ignore it.

What could be simpler? Wink
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
20 May 2009 1:29PM

Quote:If you find the info given interesting then read it.

If you don't find it interesting then ignore it.

Absolutely, I don't read it.

What is odd is that anyone should regard the image differently, put a greater or lesser value on it, or be more or less willing to comment, depending on whether the photographer wants to post irrelevant information. Perhaps there should be field where the photographer tells us what he/she had for breakfast on the morning that the pic was taken, and if the photographer doesn't want to or can't be bothered to tell us, the image should be ignored or penalised?
pennyspike 11 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
20 May 2009 1:30PM
I agree with Sharon and tend to ignore pics where there is no info.
On the other hand background information sometimes brings a picture to life and makes viewing much more interesting.Smile
andytvcams 12 10.4k United Kingdom
20 May 2009 1:30PM

Quote:Perhaps there should be field where the photographer tells us what he/she had for breakfast on the morning that the pic was taken

Some do. Wink
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
20 May 2009 1:38PM
I think a great many people find the story a shot very interesting - we are not just artists viewing work on the site - we are (mostly) hobbyists so we have an interest in learning more rather than just assessing the merrits of others work.

As for descriptions and stories - whilst an image can and often must stand on its own a description - heck even just hte title can draw your attention to certain points that the photographer might not have got through in the image - like a book once its released its open to any interpretation - putting some control over that is a way of representing something more specific than just "image"

Ps - anyone else feel like another gallery section - photography tutorials/stories etc where people must put a more indepth description of the image and its capture as well as what they were going for (thus making room for both the compositional view as well as the technical)?
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
20 May 2009 1:49PM
Each to there own..

Personally I think many of the photos with nada at all just think its cooler to have no info..

OK on the location being secret and not putting it in... But come on thats no excuse not add the basics...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.