Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Design your perfect camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4604 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 - 9:59 AM

if you could design your perfect camera, what features would you need , want and what design or handling features would you want?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Apr 2013 - 9:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104029 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 10:20 AM

I would want it embedded in my eye and operated either by voice command or a blink Grin

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 10:21 AM

built in polariser,
built in infrared sensor switch over
Built in ND filter that works on areas you draw on screen with feather control
Selective multi spot meter with draw in regions with 1 degree spot meter

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 10:23 AM

Sensor that disnae get gunked up every 2 minutes Grin

petebfrance
8 Apr 2013 - 10:24 AM

Some thoughts:
Electronic read-out rather than using a mechanical shutter - no shaking, shuddering, and quiet!
Proper dust elimination rather than using a blower / swabs to get rid of the stuff.
Magically light-weight and small so it fits in pocket but still manages to have an EVF, good max aperture at all focal lengths (something like 24-1000 Wink).
Direct access to most functions without diving into menus.
Versatile LCD screen - swivel, up / down etc.
For use on long focal lengths, the viewfinder in line with the lens so that it is possible to line up the subject looking over the top of the camera, rather like it used to be possible to do with my old Hi8 camcorder.
Must be able to stand steadily on flat surfaces - I rarely use a tripod if I can stand the camera on a hard surface instead.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93505 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
8 Apr 2013 - 10:24 AM

....take perfect pictures without user input Smile

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
8 Apr 2013 - 11:02 AM

Silent motor-wind for the film advance.

(only joking)

samueldilworth
8 Apr 2013 - 11:05 AM

Ha!

• 24-50 mm-e zoom lens with constant f/2 aperture and manual zoom ring
• manual focus ring with 360-degree rotation from infinity to minimum focus distance (at 1:5 reproduction ratio), and comprehensive depth-of-field ticks for 24 mm setting
• switchable aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 using full image circle diameter, as on Panasonic LX-series cameras
• usable sensor area equal to Four Thirds area (but with the different aspect ratios mentioned above)
• aperture control by ring on lens devoted to aperture only, with engraved f-stop markings and half-stop indents, plus auto setting
• mechanical shutter-speed dial on top plate with all shutter speeds plus auto setting (in combination with aperture dial, this would provide any desired combination of manual and automatic aperture and shutter-speed control, including full auto with both dials on auto. This is rare but not unprecedented: some Leicas and the Fujifilm X100 work like this)
 no rear display; instead, built-in high-resolution electronic viewfinder for viewing photos, with playback controls on camera front for scrolling, zooming, and deleting photos with camera at eye level. A colour-coded focus mask (like Capture One Pro’s version) would be shown while a dedicated button is depressed, and immediately removed when the button is released. A second button would work similarly with a highlight-clipping overlay
 in addition to the electronic viewfinder, a separate high-quality optical viewfinder with high magnification and 20 mm eye relief, for taking photos. As the lens zooms, the viewfinder would not zoom, but instead the framelines would move in and out (similar to changing a prime lens on a rangefinder camera). This optical viewfinder would necessarily take up a fairly large volume of the small camera, and that’s fine: this is a good thing to spend the “volume budget” on. Remove clutter like built-in flash, mode dials, etc., to keep camera as small as possible
• weatherproof design with built-in battery and 64 GB of fast flash memory for photo storage; charging and file transfer by USB, but with a proprietary camera-end plug designed by someone with a clue (e.g. the Leica S-system USB cable or Apple’s Lightning connector), not that awful micro USB plug
• built-in SiRFstarIII GPS receiver with automatic geotagging in raw files
• extreme removal of features in pursuit of simplicity of operation, with a single menu for all available options, preferably with fewer than a dozen items in the list. Absolutely no options for controlling in-camera JPEGs (sharpening, noise-reduction, colour, etc.), no in-camera post-processing whatsoever, no customisable metering or autofocus, zero customisable controls, etc. All of these would be set up correctly to be begin with, aimed at photographers who know what they’re doing
• all metal build, preferably 6000-series aluminium alloy with brass top and bottom plates

Nothing remotely like this camera will ever be made, of course. It would sell about ten copies worldwide. But since you asked!

With very few exceptions, I find contemporary camera design thoroughly depressing: a combination of tastelessness, design by committee (and Japanese committees of unimaginative old men, at that), differentiation by feature bloat, and universally terrible ergonomics. When the digital revolution happened and camera companies started experimenting, I would never have predicted such a dour landscape in 2013.

Moan over.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3805 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 11:07 AM

Quote: Some thoughts:
Electronic read-out rather than using a mechanical shutter - no shaking, shuddering, and quiet!
Proper dust elimination rather than using a blower / swabs to get rid of the stuff.
Magically light-weight and small so it fits in pocket but still manages to have an EVF, good max aperture at all focal lengths (something like 24-1000 Wink).
Direct access to most functions without diving into menus.
Versatile LCD screen - swivel, up / down etc.
For use on long focal lengths, the viewfinder in line with the lens so that it is possible to line up the subject looking over the top of the camera, rather like it used to be possible to do with my old Hi8 camcorder.
Must be able to stand steadily on flat surfaces - I rarely use a tripod if I can stand the camera on a hard surface instead.

As described here, but with the addition of a .....SMART-PHONE.

Hobbo

Newdevonian
8 Apr 2013 - 11:26 AM

Something I could send out in winter to get perfect snow scenes without me leaving the fireside. (I'm not joking! Grin)

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 8 Apr 2013 - 11:27 AM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 12:15 PM

To late Nikon have already built the D4.....Smile

If they could shave a few quid of the price, That would be nice....Wink

petebfrance
8 Apr 2013 - 12:29 PM

Quote: Something I could send out in winter to get perfect snow scenes without me leaving the fireside. (I'm not joking! Grin)

I'd like one of those, too. We rarely get much snow here, so I guess mine would have to be one of those 'travel cameras' Smile

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3805 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 12:31 PM

My good lady would like a .....COMPACT CAMERA.....complete with makeup, lippy and nail varnish etc.

Hobbo

petebfrance
8 Apr 2013 - 12:35 PM

Not a mirrorless one, then?

hobbo
8 Apr 2013 - 12:41 PM

Quote: Not a mirrorless one, then?

Oh no......but a pair of ....HOT SHOES......at least?

Hobbo

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.