Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Desk Light for print viewing.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ianmoore
    27 Jan 2014 - 8:05 PM

We are seeking to buy a desktop lamp for print/monitor comparison. We don't want to spend the amount of money required for a proper viewing cabinet. We are seeking a straightforward D50 desk lamp with good CRI ,etc. It would be useful if the light can be dimmed to match monitor brightness.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Ian Moore

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Jan 2014 - 8:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Railcam
    Railcam  7463 forum posts Scotland
    27 Jan 2014 - 9:14 PM

Sounds like you need a GrafiLite. Wex have them but are currently out of stock.

No dimmer but other than that I find mine very good.

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 91880 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2014 - 3:28 PM

The best colour-proofing bulb available is probably the Solux, although I have no idea about its UK availability (if that's required).

The CRI is a misleading spec for photographic purposes, and the specific D50 standard illuminant is unlikely to be achieved by any household fluorescent tube or Biax lamp. The best they usually offer is a correlated colour temperature, which is an entirely different thing.

Not sure if you can dim the Solux - ordinarily halogen is dimmable but the colour of light is liable to be affected. So you'd likely have to alter the distance.

keithh
    keithh  1022725 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2014 - 4:20 PM

Philips used to make Solux MR16 bulbs under their Diamondline Pro branding but not sure if this is still the case.

chris.maddock
    28 Jan 2014 - 7:01 PM

Some of the latest LED bulbs are dimmable, the better quality ones will probably be a fairly consistent colour temp I would think.
    Might be worth considering.

chase
    chase Critique Team 81115 forum postschase vcard England234 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2014 - 7:29 PM

Another vote for a GrafiLite but nope,sadly no dimmer button Sad

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2014 - 8:03 PM

Does one not really need a suitably colour corrected ceiling bulb in order that it illuminates the monitor as well as the print ?

The GrafiLite appears to be just for viewing prints.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 28 Jan 2014 - 8:03 PM
    keithh
    28 Jan 2014 - 8:17 PM

The monitor has its own illumination.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2014 - 8:25 PM

Quote: The monitor has its own illumination.

But is not the monitor illuminated by the room light, right now mine is on and I am certain it is throwing a colour cast onto the monitor.

justin c
    justin c  104510 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2014 - 8:44 PM

Quote: But is not the monitor illuminated by the room light, right now mine is on and I am certain it is throwing a colour cast onto the monitor.

Hence the reason you don't want the light hitting your monitor. At least not when editing images or any colour critical work.

Last Modified By justin c at 28 Jan 2014 - 8:46 PM
    keithh
    28 Jan 2014 - 10:31 PM

Was that room light on when you calibrated your monitor?

But yes, ideally you should shield the monitor from direct light or work in the dark.

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 91880 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2014 - 11:09 PM

Colour temperature in fluorescent or LED lighting is ambiguous, particularly when the aim is to match entirely different products. So in that respect a 'colour corrected' ceiling bulb does not exist - correlated colour temperature always refers to a range of colours. The same is true of monitor backlighting, so if you're trying to calibrate two entirely different screens you're better off attempting to pin down a specific colour (i.e. D50 or D65) rather than nominally identical colour temperatures.

The Solux is unusual in that it combines the smooth spectral distribution of a filament bulb (something vaguely akin to daylight) with a cooler colour temperature - which would melt the filament before it could be achieved through conventional means. No other light source is going to be that natural-looking, or render colours with the same consistent accuracy.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.