Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

desktop pc what specs?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brrttpaul
brrttpaul  3203 forum posts United Kingdom
20 May 2013 - 9:08 PM

Hi, I have been looking for a new desktop pc on a budget and its a minefield out there. As fellow photographers what would you recomend the minimum requirements for using lightroom, photoshop and some astrophotography editing. I realise these programs take up a lot of processing power but on a budget there has to be sacrifices. The best I can find at the moment is a zoostorm 8gig ram, 1 TB hard drive and an i5 processor. I have never heard of zoostorm and would value your thoughts on this.
Ps its on windows 7
cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 May 2013 - 9:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 9:32 PM

My PC runs LR4 on 4Gb (i3 processor) and works perfectly fine, but suspect 8Gb would be good for future proofing.

Memory may depend on your camera as the Raw files appear to be getting much bigger with every new level.

td1556
td1556  8 United Kingdom
20 May 2013 - 9:37 PM

I am not sure how much of a budget you are talking about but I have just bought a Chillblast desktop pc for just over 400 (excluding monitor). This isn't a supplier I knew but they seemed to get pretty good write ups in the PC magazines. It came with 8GB RAM, 2TB hard disk plus 120GB SSD. So far I am pretty pleased with it. They seemed to have a wide range available so you could check them out.

brrttpaul
20 May 2013 - 9:44 PM

wow that does seem a good spec , my budget is 400 funny enough, I will have a look at that now thx

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

zoostorm like way to many off the shelf pcs are really cheap motherboards, psus and ram, so dodge them.
nice to have 12 hd ports and spare ram sockets etc.

Better to get one built as td1556 done. An i5 with ssd for os and apps, and normal sata hds for storage, aim for 16gig ram and you should be happy.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 20 May 2013 - 10:30 PM
JulianRRouse
20 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

make sure is is Windows 7 or better 64 bit - I have 12gb in my 2 year old machine and lightroom and elements really are much improved!!!

brrttpaul
20 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

I have just been on the chilliblast site trying to get it around the 400 mark and i cant get no where near it. It does look a great site to be fair just out of my range

brrttpaul
20 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

the nearest i got is the chilliblast fusion kevlar at 500 with windows 7 premium (could have had windows 8 but heard lots of bad reviews with it). but this does come with a 22" monitor as well 3.8 GHz A10-5800K, 8GB, 120GB SSD, 2000GB, Peripherals. if that makes any sense to someone

john thompson
20 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Check these out i bought mine from them a couple of years ago and had no problems and you can customize also.
John

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315379 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Big savings can be found on pre built systems with no operating system, like this, need more ram, no problem, add it yourself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCHW-COMPUTER-Multimedia-BULLDOZER-Operating/dp/B007SNNL...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 20 May 2013 - 11:24 PM
Jestertheclown
20 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

Quote: (could have had windows 8 but heard lots of bad reviews with it).

Don't believe a word of them.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 8.
It's Windows 7 with an alternative home screen, which there's no compulsion to use.
The reason it's had some bad press is down to the fact that people either can't, won't, or are frightened to learn how it works.
There have been some recent threads on here which admirably demonstrate this.

Bren.

brrttpaul
20 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

this is the one i fancy http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/1298638/chillblast-fusion-kevlar I have been put off the off the shelf ones now a bit, I suppose it boils down to this chilli one or the zoostorm one. the chilli one comes out at 529 with delivery whereas the zoostorm is 400 with delivery but no monitor. its a headache

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315379 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

The monitor is the most important part of the package, something like the Dell ultra sharps are pretty good and are more than likely best value for money, some are less than 200 on Amazon.

monitors

I was looking at Dell reconditioned units the other day, quite high specs with operating system and warranties for less than 200. There not going to be powerful enough for high end games, but there more than good enough for graphics.

Edit, found the site, loads here, this one is pretty cheap, just add some more cheap ram.

http://microdream.co.uk/desktop-pc/dell-optiplex-320-mt-dual-core-3-0ghz-windows...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 21 May 2013 - 12:02 AM
GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-322-OK&groupid=43&am...

give them a ring if this is not what you want, they are very helpful and been in the business along time now, and the staff are not the kind that can only read a price tag and read what it says on the label.

brrttpaul
21 May 2013 - 6:25 AM

Thx for all the help guys, I think the chilliblast is still coming up the better deal, either im being blinded by "winner of this" and that but with 8Gig AN SSD usb3 and the monitor at 529 including delivery it takes some beating

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.