Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

desktop pc what specs?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lemmy
lemmy  71876 forum posts United Kingdom
21 May 2013 - 9:46 AM

Of the processors, I have one machine with an Intel i3 and one with an i5. There is no discernible difference in performance. 8Gb is not necessary as such but it does make the machine seem noticeably smoother in operation.

An SSD with OS, program files and the Lightroom catalog speeds things up nicely. Make sure the machine has SATA 3 if you will use an SSD as they are about the only things for which it makes a difference (throughput of even a fast HD hardly tests Sata 1, let alone 2 or 3). Graphics cards are basically for games, they excel at 3D and motion texturing. Any card, provided it has the outlets you require, will do. I have the luxury of a cheap 30 graphics card on one machine and a 200 one on the other. It makes no difference to Lightroom or PS at all. This is personal experience rather than theory, mind you.

Also, a couple of USB3 slots are good to have for external disk usage.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 May 2013 - 9:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
puertouk  21073 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Overclockers are a good company. I bought a new motherboard not long ago.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
21 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

+1 for overclockers, scan is another decent one. They both have fairly decent prebuilt computers if you don't want to build your own.

thewilliam
21 May 2013 - 2:33 PM

A few years ago, I bought a custom-built machine from a local dealer. When it went wrong and needed a new hard-drive, I learned that the Windows and the pre-loaded software, Photoshop, Office etc were all pirate copies. And of course the dealer had closed down!

I now buy branded machines, Fujitsu Siemens CAD workstations, that work straight of the box. In the unlikely event of a problem, the service backup is excellent. We've bought 6 machines and the only issues have been 2 HDD failures and we can't blame that on FSC. One was during warranty and they sent me a new HDD straight away.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 21 May 2013 - 2:33 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.