Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Destinations In West Yorkshire

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
johnnelly6as
14 Dec 2011 - 10:22 AM

Hi guys, Ive recently moved to West Yorkshire and have taken up landscape photography. I already know of a few nice places to take photos i.e Lumb Falls and Hardcastle craggs. Just wondered if anyone one is willing and gracious enough to part with their little secret destinations?? Wink Cheers, John Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Dec 2011 - 10:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy_Cundell
14 Dec 2011 - 11:57 AM

The best place in West Yorkshire to get photographs is............................the road to Lancashire!Tongue

LOL, Only joking mate!

Andy

johnnelly6as
14 Dec 2011 - 12:13 PM

Haha originally from Lancashire, but got to admit Yorkshire has the more dramatic scenery. Sorry ha

sut68
sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2011 - 12:25 PM

Not West Yorkshire but try to get to the Dales, some cracking locations up there. Malham, Twistleton, Scaleber Force and Ingleton Falls to name but a few!!!

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2011 - 12:33 PM

Well if you're around the Hebden Bridge area, why not try exploring the Calderdale Way, especially in the spring. A multitude of different landscape scenarios including urban ones.

aco012000
aco012000  735 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2011 - 2:51 PM

John

An excllent double watrfall that is not too far from Halifax is Goit Stock which is just outside of Bingley on Goit Stock Lane (see map below), you have to go past the caravan village before you get to the main falls
There are actually three waterfalls but the first one you pass is not part of the Goit Stock falls.
The first waterfall you come to is the better of the two, the upper fall involves quite a steep (but short climb).
Picture is of the main fall:

dsc-3622.jpg map.jpg

Last Modified By aco012000 at 14 Dec 2011 - 3:02 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
johnnelly6as
14 Dec 2011 - 3:29 PM

Quote: John

An excllent double watrfall that is not too far from Halifax is Goit Stock which is just outside of Bingley on Goit Stock Lane (see map below), you have to go past the caravan village before you get to the main falls
There are actually three waterfalls but the first one you pass is not part of the Goit Stock falls.
The first waterfall you come to is the better of the two, the upper fall involves quite a steep (but short climb).
Picture is of the main fall:

Been wondering where this waterfall was, seen a few photos of this place on here, think i might have to get up early sunday and take a trip.
thanks alot it's appreciated Grin

John

KevSB
KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2011 - 4:36 PM

Had the pleasure of staying the weekend at ingleton falls, did not do any landscape pictures as i was with a re-inactment group but walked the falls at ingleton and had I been prepared could have spent days there just going waterfal photography, 4 miles of rock strawn river and waterfalls.
Going again next year and may find some time to do some landscape pictures

Billlee
Billlee  75525 forum posts England
20 Dec 2011 - 10:46 PM

A road trip up the A65 from just north of Leeds might be worthwhile... the road is 70 miles long and ends up in Kendal. Travel this road but try not to use the by-passes. You will pass through some great countryside, with interesting villages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A65_road
Also the areas around Howarth (Bronte country), and Hebden Bridge (Last of the Summer Wine) are worth a visit.

collywobles
21 Dec 2011 - 9:19 AM

Quote: but try to get to the Dales, some cracking locations up there. Malham, Twistleton, Scaleber Force and Ingleton Falls to name but a few!!!

I'll second that.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2011 - 9:57 AM

Most of the suggestions to date are from North Yorkshire, and is quite a drive to the Dales from here.

There is a lot that isn't as popular but still excellent. There are a few rock outcrops / quarries above Holmfirth/Penistone ( I often go there to test something new out its only 5 mins away), Saddleworth Moor, Masden Moor, Ovenden Moor even the Southern Edge of the Peak District. There are numerous woodland areas with fast moving steams (really must, explore them as one is walking distance).

Slightly wider afield, but not much is the Peak District less than an hour drive for me in Huddersfield. There is also the cities Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, Sheffield if you like cityscapes.

In terms of landscapes West Yorkshire is seen as the poor cousin of the surrounding counties of North Yorkshire (incidently the locations mentioned are breathtaking), and Derbyshire but there is an awfull lot that hasn't really had the recognition.

Edit: last of the Summer Wine was Holmfirth, not Hebden Bridge as mentioned above (that's more famous for Ted Hughes, or more accurately Mytholmroyd)

Last Modified By Nick_w at 21 Dec 2011 - 10:02 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2011 - 10:04 AM

nick's nailed it really.

the moors around Halifax are nice in the right conditions, those windmills look rather dramatic with their yellow roads and huge skies - wrap up warm though Wink

johnnelly6as
21 Dec 2011 - 12:24 PM

Again, cheers Nick Smile think i need to make a list and go exploring in my very limited time off (chef hours are not the greatest!)

Sylar
Sylar  578 forum posts England
5 Jan 2012 - 3:14 PM

For landscape shots, go to Otley Chevin, or to Brimham rocks.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2012 - 5:05 PM

I think one of the best places to go at sunset is Ovenden Wind Farm - can be pure magic up there, and surreal with those huge turbines flapping away

not been up in 18 months, but shall return one day.... I guess the 10,000 photos of the place in my archives (rough approximation there) is enough for now... it will be a trip for "fun"

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.