Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Deutsche Borse Photographic Competition

gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2012 12:14PM
In the Guardian today, there are about four pics from the Deutsche Bȍrse Photographic Competition.
Now, I know photography and all art is basically subjective but really this has to be a joke.
Even the weakest efforts in ephotozine are better than these totally meaningless prints.
They have no aesthetic appeal whatsover and they don't even seem to have any worthwhile message.
I think art really is becoming more and more bonkers (for example the Turner Gallery) and reflects a bonkers society, I suppose...SadWink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2012 1:00PM
I think they try to be different to others and feel they are creating art, when in fact it's a b*****y mess. I enjoy messing around with images and trying new techniques, but at the end of the day, you cannot beat a good image.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Jul 2012 1:25PM
Art is sometimes a mess - Tracy Emin's Unmade Bed is a prime example. (To me it's.......... a mess! Wink)

Perhaps Art - like Beauty - is in the eye of the beholder............................... and the gullible! Grin
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2012 1:28PM
I suppose being the best four out of 5 entries is a sort of victory 'toungue in cheek emoticon'
11 Jul 2012 1:38PM
Well the winner, if I understand the reviews, doesn't use a camera, just collages photographs - in anyone's eyes surely if they aren't even directing a camera shoot (as in Gregory Crewdson) then really that isn't photography. I am not keen on the illuminance ones and The Christopher Williams' did nothing at all for me. The kids in the dump scenes I have seen many times before, albeit memorable ... All in all I can only say that it takes all sorts and if we all had the same taste it would be a boring world so what's right and what's wrong? :0)
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
11 Jul 2012 1:56PM
The rubbish can be found here Grin
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2012 2:36PM
Emperor's taylor is still in business then Smile

I can sometimes see merit in images in some of these major competitions, but have to say, these really do beggar belief. But if this is the fashion I'm off to photograph the roses in the garden using as much flash as I possibly can and nick a few old photo's off the web to stick together Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
11 Jul 2012 2:48PM
which "has significantly contributed to photography in Europe. How exactly?
The winner'll certainly be laughing all the way to the bank if this is all it takes.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2012 3:06PM
Well, if you have to ask, here is the critique of the entries.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/jul/10/deutsche-borse-photography-prize-review

The write-up is as pretentious as the photos.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
11 Jul 2012 3:29PM
I do like John Stezaker's stuff - very clever and slightly unnerving.

Don't forget that all of the work for consideration has been exhibited (sorry..importantly exhibited) and/or published in printed works and books.

Maybe it actually shows how out of touch most of us really are.
Wink
Deanooo e2
2 22 Wales
11 Jul 2012 3:37PM
Just utter nonsense, again this is art not photography, there is a distinct difference, artists are mostly out of touch idiots that dont want to do a days work, photographers are people that enjoy capturing something they personally like.
The best part is that some of these pieces werent even 'photographed' by the "artist"
We shouldnt be able to read about this tosh let alone discuss it.....
This type of tat can be found in most local camera clubs each week with some idiotic judge banging on about his visionary opinion on it......
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
11 Jul 2012 3:39PM
What on earth is going on?

No doubt that these 'photographers' swan around with top of the range Canon cameras and Lenses, when all they really need is a cheapo compact and Photoshop!

The mind boggles.

I must admit that I do like the Staircase pic by Rinko Kawauchi, (Untitled, from the series Illuminance, 2007) wth the ray of light shining down the centre, quite effective, link=http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2012/jul/11/deutsche-borse-photography-prize-2012-in-pictures?intcmp=239#/?picture=392900776&index=3]HERE[/link]

but the rest..........Doh!
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2012 3:45PM

Quote:No doubt that these 'photographers' swan around with top of the range Canon cameras and Lenses, when all they really need is a cheapo compact and Photoshop!

Not all, one only needed a pair of scissors and some pritt stick. Grin
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2012 3:45PM
I thought the ones of the developer trays and the finger pushing the button were adverts first of all!

Quote:Maybe it actually shows how out of touch most of us really are.

I suppose that is the main conclusion...but I am still not sure what the remit of the competition actually is and comments on the BJP site posted (link posted by Cats_123) suggests I am not the only one.
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
11 Jul 2012 3:46PM

Quote:What on earth is going on?

No doubt that these 'photographers' swan around with top of the range Canon cameras and Lenses, when all they really need is a cheapo compact and Photoshop!

The mind boggles.

I must admit that I do like the Staircase pic by Rinko Kawauchi, (Untitled, from the series Illuminance, 2007) wth the ray of light shining down the centre, quite effective,

HERE

but the rest..........Doh!

Edit: I don't know what I did but I seem to have reposted as a quote?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.