Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Diary of a Vista user

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Duncan_E
Duncan_E  7201 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2007 - 9:37 PM

hi everyone,

As a follow up to our interview with James O'Neill of Microsoft, we have now started the Diary of a Vista User. This is a 7 day record of the trials and tribulations of installing the upgrade option of Vista Ultimate. Each day we'll record what happens to your average, program-filled PC, from the installation process, to running programs like Photoshop, the snazzy interface, the new features, the free software, gadgets and features that photographers will welcome. Each day the diary will be updated as we look at the various aspects of installing and using the new operating system from Microsoft.

You can find the first two days from the weekend here.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2007 - 9:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ejtumman
ejtumman  102756 forum posts England
19 Mar 2007 - 9:45 PM

You should have chosen the clean install option...... much quicker lol

Emma ;oP

I instlled it on an old Dell laptop, 1.7mhz 1gb ram...... 40 mins and I was away.....

timiano
timiano  10894 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Mar 2007 - 11:17 PM

Leave user account control on, its there for your protection. Its a pain in the bum when installing a new system as it'll plague you, but.....once you are using the system as a tool day in day out, there'll be little need for the disruption.

Only application I personally had trouble with UAC was WinRAR. Downloaded the new version, jobs a goon'un. UAC is important and it essentially helps your system not get taken over by a malicious attack. Macs have a little pad lock on some similar system admin type things, but isn't quite as anal, but then its not the number one OS, so not as big of a target. Also, disabling UAC causes certain lockdowns of folders which can make installation of some applications difficult...Adobe Reader 8 being one of them.

Aero disappears usually due to an application not being compatible with it, even pre-launchers. I have trouble with Ulead Video Studio 10, which also installs a pre-launcher that plays a bit of momentary havoc at boot. I simply disabled it, and put up with Video Studio loading a tad slower.

So while I think you are doing a good piece going through a diary of a Vista user, so far I think you've gone down the diary of a typical numpty Vista user. But there's plenty of them out there, so fair play!

As a few pointers for the rest of the week. Start playing with Vista Desktop Search (Index all your drives that have content) and Transactional NTFS for starters.

Duncan_E
20 Mar 2007 - 8:51 AM

Some good advice there - but i am, of course, being a numpty for a reason - otherwise i would just have done a clean install. Smile

fauxtography
20 Mar 2007 - 9:38 AM

lol, how often did you get blue screens of death before?

Duncan_E
20 Mar 2007 - 10:35 AM

About 12 months ago, the system didn't like having a wireless network card and a 56k modem in at the same time, so i took the modem out and went broadband. Never had one since. Had another this morning, just putting a new user name into Windows Live Messenger - that was the reported problem on a previous blue screen - it was all Messengers fault.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2007 - 10:43 AM

ahh the joys of vista. WHAT A WASTE lol.
ill wait for about 6mths to a yr for them to sort all the niggles. so many have been reported Sad xp pro all the way for me for a bit.
matt.

Jay44
Jay44  81443 forum posts Wales
20 Mar 2007 - 11:15 AM

Wow, just read the diary.

Think I will stick to XP for the time being!

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Mar 2007 - 12:44 PM

I cannot see what vista has to offer the photographer.
XP works just fine for me.

raziel_uk
raziel_uk  104929 forum posts
20 Mar 2007 - 12:54 PM

See this easily understandable tutorial video here on how to install Vista in 2 minutes.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Mar 2007 - 1:00 PM

PMSL.Excellent.

Duncan_E
20 Mar 2007 - 1:04 PM

ah quality video... very funny, and i sooo understand where he's coming from. However, the next installment in the diary is coming later this afternoon.

fauxtography
20 Mar 2007 - 1:08 PM

complete with shredder? Wink

timiano
timiano  10894 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Mar 2007 - 2:56 PM

Thats why I have reservations of these numpty diaries, always snide responses about 'I'll stick to this then', or 'I'll wait xxy time for SP1'.

What you have is a cracking product, but its not right for everyone, but its dimissed in a heartbeat because Dave from IT sez its a glorified XP tart. There's no qualification to his argument, its hardly thought out and its knee jerk.

Make a well informed opinion from those that actually know and not those that snigger and oppose change.

As I said, its not right for everyone, and all you get is the problem stories, ans the success ones are a) hardly worth reading, or b)no-one writes about resounding successes.

That's why I have to say, I've been using it, its a breath of fresh air, fantastic even and if you don't have any compelling reasons to not use it given the choice (ala new system), then there's no reason not to, and stop listening to the *snigger*...you've got Vista *snigger* camp, just do it.

raziel_uk
raziel_uk  104929 forum posts
20 Mar 2007 - 3:12 PM

I am all for new OSs as long as they are new! It seems that Vista is a glorified XP with flashier graphics.

The last biggest jumps in OS systems were DOS to Windows and then Windows 95. Since then they have just been flashier versions of Win 95, and most of the flashiness of Vista can already be done for little or no cost with software for XP on the internet.

I have absolutely no need to upgrade, Vista will not do anything for me that I cannot already do. Mind you, let's be honest, I could still run my business with MS DOS and MS Word for DOS. And if the internet wasn't required and people still had their word processing printed out for them, I could go back to using my Sinclair Spectrum and the wonderful Tas-Word package.

So to me Vista is just an upgrade rather than a whole new package.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.