Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Dicapac Waterproof Bags

jembo 10 104 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 7:15PM
Anyone any experience with these?
Will be off to sunnier climes for a break soon and there is likely to be an opportunity for my camera to get wet. And I don't want it to.
Would be interested to hear any reviews of these (particularly the Dicapac WP-S10), good and bad.

I would have done a Search but I can't see a Search box.

Thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 Jan 2013 1:06AM
I use one with small cameras - Canon IXUS mostly. It's a good budget solution, and does the job it is designed for - keeping dust and water out of camera. I even used it while snorkelling to take some photos. Using camera controls may be difficult though, and some vignetting may occur. But the bag gets thumbs up from me when compared to underwater camera box - which on most occasions costs not less than the camera itself.
25 Jan 2013 11:28PM
Update - bit the bullet, it arrived yesterday, and has had a good 2 1/2 hours soaking in a bath tonight.

Yep, it's waterproof.
Am now looking forward to giving it a proper run out.
19 Mar 2013 6:33PM
Okay. Here's my review of the DiCAPac WP-S10 Waterproof Case (to fit Eos 5D amongst others).
I was initially a little concerned after retrieving the waterproof case from my luggage as the sealing strips had become somewhat crushed and creased, and no matter how I tried, I could not achieve a perfect seal - there was a gap of approximatly 3 mm at each end.
However, I had had a look previously at just how the seal was made. As well as the pinch zip at the top of the case, the top of the case is rolled and then sealed with velcro. The surfaces that are rolled have an almost sticky quality to them to ensure a waterproof seal. So I thought that even with a few mm at the top that wasn't sealed, the 'sticky' innards would make a decent seal. And as I was only going to be snorkelling on the surface of the water, I could be extra careful (just in case) and try as much as possible not to completely submerge the bag.
It worked - no leaks.
However, it wasn't all plauin sailing. What you have to be aware of is that to take a photo, I was looking through a pair of goggles, the clear polyeurathane of the bag, and the viewfinder. Not an easy task, and pretty much impossible to see the focus markers in the viewfinder. A camera with live view functionality would have made taking pics so much easier. As well as the viewfinder isser, the (oversized) lens housing has a tendency to wobble about so you inevitably end up with corners of you pic being unintentionally rounded off with a black 'vignette'.
And of course the bag is goingh to contain a certain amount of air which helps the unit bobble about on the water - not making itthe easiest thing to control.

img-1368---web-sooc.jpg

Another issue was that I was reluctant to take the camera out of the bag until I was happy that it was sufficiently dried out. The reason for this is that to put the camera in the bag, you have to put the body in first through the top opening, and then put the lens through the lens protrusion, and fit the two together. This is not as easy as you might imagine. And of course, to get the camera out, you have to do the reverse - disconnect the lens and remove, and then the body. Of course, if there are any water droplets on the bag or around the lens window, there is a danger they could drop right into an open camera. And of course the velcro seals will be soaking wet for quite a while afterwards. I left mine to dry in the sun fo about an hour. By whicj time the creased zip seals had softened and returned to their manufactured state - no creases - and I could seal it all the way across the top opening.

Sorry, I won't bore you much longer. So all in all, for the price, and despite the negatives, a pretty good product. With more practice in the water, and a live view screen, getting decent picures would be much easier. I'm not saying you can't get good pics without live view, but it would definately make things easier.

img-1366---fish-crop.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.