Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Difference between file size and pixel dimension

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    guitarman74uk
    16 Dec 2006 - 2:09 AM

just would like to find out if file size is the same as pixel dimension.i was going to submit a photo and the requirement was 6MB file.when i edited the photo on photoshop i set the pixel dimension to 6 MB but when i saved the photo, it says on the file size only 1.32 MB.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Dec 2006 - 2:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Dec 2006 - 3:07 AM

what format did you save the file as? (saving as a jpeg will compress the image & will vary depending on the complexity of the picture) saving as a tiff or photoshop file (AFAIK) would be uncompressed & give a more consistent result (I'm not sure if the colour depth/space used affects the filesize as well, but someone more knowledgeable will probably be along & give a more technically correct answer.)

Joe B

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Dec 2006 - 8:58 AM

As Joe said, it depends on the file format used.

First you need to establish what file format is required for submission, Usually but not always this will be JPEG.

JPEG is a compression technology, The amount of compression can be set by you when you " Save As ".

If the file requirement is 6Mb JPEG, this usually refers to the " Opened State " however in the closed state it may well appear to be 1.32 Mb ( this can vary a little dependant on the data content of the image ).

guitarman74uk
    16 Dec 2006 - 12:07 PM

it is a JPEG format.when you say "opened state" do you mean when the original MB of the data?

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    16 Dec 2006 - 2:08 PM

Quote: It is a JPEG format.when you say "opened state" do you mean when the original MB of the data?

No, when opened for viewing or editing in e.g. Photoshop. The jpeg is decompressed to allow it to be used.

For an analogy, think about if you store a spare duvet in one of those big vacuum bags. To use it you need to open the bag and allow the duvet to expand to fit over the bed. If you just put it on the bed in the compressed bag it wouldn't do you much good.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    nikon5700ite
    16 Dec 2006 - 5:44 PM

Interesting analogy, must remember that one Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.