Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Difference between Slide Film & 35mm?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    buchananbchb
    20 May 2005 - 1:34 AM

Hi I manily use digital, but also film as I think its important to understand both. I have had various types of 35mm film developed and can see the obvious differences with ISO etc... but what difference is there with slide film?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 May 2005 - 1:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

acbeat
    acbeat  9 United Kingdom
    20 May 2005 - 2:33 AM

By saying 35mm you mean negative, so the differance is slide film is possitive

SteveCharles
    20 May 2005 - 2:47 AM

Print (or negative) film produces a negative image on the film from which a positive print is made. Negative film generally has wide exposure latitude making it easier to use as exposure setting is not too critical to a good print.

Slide film (also known as transparency or reversal film) produces a positive image on film, which can be viewed on a lightbox and projected. The advantage with slide film is that it generally has finer grain, richer colour and more contrast than negative film, making for richer, sharper pictures. It has less exposure latitude, though, so correct exposure settings are more critical; a small amount of under or over exposure can be quite noticable.

After using normal print film, looking at your first colour slides is a revelation!

Steve

buchananbchb
    20 May 2005 - 2:55 AM

Oh I see, excellent... I have 2 slide films to develop...My main concern with Negative film was the amount of grain... so I look forward to seeing the results.

spt
    spt  1089 forum posts Scotland
    20 May 2005 - 3:58 AM

The other advantage of slide film (and the main reason that I started using it) is that it avoids the printing stage, which can cause a very large variation in how your pictures look, and which you have very little control over.

When negatives are printed the brightness, contrast and colour balance of the print are all set by the printing process. Usually this is all done automatically, which often gets a bit confused by pictures dominated by one colour, or with lots of dark or light shades. When your snow photos come back grey instead of white, or you get a strange colour balance it's probably because of the printing, and there's nothing you can do about it to stop it happening next time you take a similar picture (except by going to a better printing lab). When there's something wrong with the exposure on your slides you can't blame anyone else, but you can learn from your mistakes and try to get it right next time.

steveplant
    steveplant  1156 forum posts2 Constructive Critique Points
    20 May 2005 - 7:43 AM

Another advantage of slide film is colours etc., are richer and it's preferred by publishers should you wish to try your luck.
    With regard to grain - that's to do with the film speed, ( iso number), the lower the speed/number the finer the grain. Fuji Provia 100F is good quite quick but with minimal grain.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.